The Phins Defensive Front 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Phins Defensive Front 7

ZachThomas76

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Ive seen numerous people on here talk about how loaded we are at the linebacker spot, and in general speak about the front 7 as if we are a topflight defense. Im going to give my honest opinion of ech position, which I think shows how far this team has to go in the rebuilding process.

- NT I think no one here would argue Ferguson is on his last legs, and needs to be replaced very soon.
_ DE These 2 spots are actually the only 2 I like at the moment. Langford, Starks and Merling are actually encouraging in terms of ability.
_ ILB Contrary to some experts on here, Ive always believed Crowder is average at best, and I thank him for continuing to prove that every week on the field. Again, I think it would be hard to find many posters who would disagree that Crowder and Akin are average at best and can certainly be upgraded.
_ OLB We have 2 aging pass rushers in Porter and JT. JT doesnt have much left IMO, and Porter is nearing the end as well.

So if we look at things objectively, in order for this defense to become a dominant or even above average defense, in the near future we are going to need to find a NT, 2 ILB's, and minimum 2 OLB's. The good teams actually have some depth at OLB and can rotate their pass rushers like Pitt does. I would also argue our safety position is nothing to write home about in terms of coverage ability. This is just the defense. Again, I think we all know wr is a glaring need, not to mention the ever present qb question.

I knew the 11-5 out of nowhere would get some people to try and fastforward the rebuilding process, Im just glad we finally have a FO that is smarter than some fans.

I agree 100%.

You can only fix so much during 1 offseason i.e. Rome wasn't built in a day. The retooling of the Dolphins is not yet complete. Parcells, Ireland, & Sparano have come part of the way (65%) IMO but there is still stuff to be done.

Last year, After acquiring Penny and beating the Pats as well as SD, I felt Miami was a 7 win team maybe 8 if things went well. Everything after beating St Louis last year was icing on the cake.

Don't get me wrong I was glad to see the phins do what they did last season but it IMO made the transforamtion trickier not mention the expectations of some of the armchair QB's.

Some thanks needs to go to Cameron & Mueller for starting to clear out the overpiced underachieving veterans.

Jimmy Johnson used to say the trick wasn't going from 1-15 to 8-8 but from 8-8 to a perennial 12 to 13 win team. That IMO is what the Trifecta is dealing with and given the circumstances are doing a great job.

I felt that we weren't going to win 11 games again this year... just look at the history of teams that made the kind of improvement Miami made in 2008 (10 games)... the following year ONLY one team improved on the previous winning season... and from what i have read; BP knew this and quietly cautioned the organization for a MORE REALISTIC 2009 season ... as far as the talent is concerned, we all have known how Ferguson, Porter and now Taylor were aging stars... and hoping for them to strick lightning in a bottle for 1 more season... so far DE, WR, CB, and OL have been addressed in the last 2 drafts ... and all of those positions now have DEPTH, something that wasn't here in 2007 and prior!!! if my instincts are right, MORE DEFENSE, will be added in terms of young OLB'S and DT'S in the 2010 draft... perhaps BP will buck the trend and draft that young stud WR like he did in Keyshawn Johnson!!! Phil Simms has stated, how BP likes to conduct his GROCERY shopping ... and it seems all thats left is a few more youngters at OLB, DT and perhaps WR ... i figured 2010-2011 would be the year BP felt the team was ready to move up into the upper tier of the NFL ... lets hope all the current draftees can continue to grow and make those solid contribution each week ...

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to the OLBs, remember we do still have Matt Roth.

ZT,

No one can legitimately dispute what you have posted. IMO, Madd Matt, age, talent, and production considered, is our best LB.

The only problem I have with what you have said is a better solution to what we have done so far.

We re-signed Crowder, signed JT, kept JP, Akin, and added Wake. FAR from earth shattering. However, who would you have added that we did not? I saw no better options for this team with the players available through FA or the draft.

Easy to point out problems. Tuff to offer solutions.

Back
Top Bottom