The REAL DEAL of the Gadsden dilemma | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The REAL DEAL of the Gadsden dilemma

InMyChambers

Sniper
Reaction score
So the guy has a season ending injury, but since it's his wrist, he can play through it if he chooses. The problem he faces is it could get worse.

His options:

Option A) Play through it. He can wear a brace and give it a try. OK fine, any Gadsden is better than no Gadsden, but how much will the wrist and brace affect his hands at catching the ball. Let's face it, his strengths aren't blazing speed, or exceptional route running. It's his leaping and catching abilities, and a wrist injury will really hurt his strengths.

But what happens if he hurts the wrist even more? Career ending? They guy isn't exactly in good shape anyway. I've read before his feet are in such bad shape, doctors have said they are equivalent to an 80- year old man. That is probably exagerated, but still, an injury problem nevertheless.

Option B) Miami give him a new contract. The guy gets job security so that's incentive for him to play. From OG standpoint that would be great. Even if he were to get hurt more and have the surgury he would at least still collect a paycheck. But from the Dolphins standpoint, what happens if he hurts it more, and perhaps never recovers. i.e. OJ McDuffie? They are stuck paying a guy who can't contribute to the team. They would be rolling the dice and taking a chance. Not really a good administration option.

Option C) Have surgery now. By far the best option for OG. He gets the surgery and then is good enough to stay with the team or move onto another next year. He'll be back to normal health so his bargaining power should not be affected.

The ideal situation for the fans and team is obviously Option A. He gives it a go and tries to play through it. The team is better with him on the field and they definitely need him in there. If he can contribute and keep it from getting worse, great, that's the best option. If he injures it further, than miami has no liabilities with him if its career ending. It sounds cold, but remember as much as we the fans want it to be about winning and a passion for the game, its just as much if not more, just business.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was BLOCKING. Gadsden is a pretty good blocker. Better than every other WR on the roster except Chris Chambers. And this injury severely limits his ability to put his hands on and abate a DB.

I think Gadsen will play out the year. This team has a very good chance of going to the the Super Bowl this year. Can you imagine being on the sidelines when your team is playing in the biggest game of their lives? I'm not saying it's a good decision but I just think that would be his reasoning.

Back when Gardener was dragging his feet about contract renegotiation, I mentioned that the only way that decision made sense is if Gardener felt he had less than a year of football left in him. It appears that was the correct read.

This feels the same, to me. If Gadsden wants to play with one of his greatest assets missing, and taking the chance that he might destroy that asset for football forever, I don't think he believes he's ever going to get another NFL contract and wants to ride this train as far as it will go.

Jeff

Health is extremely important, and this guy should not do such a big risk to his health by playing this weekend. It isn't even that big a game anyway. Also, Ward starting will make Lucas more comfortable, so I really think Gadsden should sit.

It's defintely a big decision, even if he plays as Muck points out, one of the thing s the WR's do in this O is block down field, even OG pointed out that could be a problem..I know he wants to play..when you're on a team that may have a chance to be special..you want to be a part of that..but he's got to think of his long range health also...

I wish him the best on whatever decision he makes..it' s going to be tough either way.

Back
Top Bottom