The remarkable Dominique Jones story | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The remarkable Dominique Jones story

gafin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What have you done to chase your dream?

Probably not as much as Dominique Jones.

His football journey took him to Pennsylvania’s Amish Country, where he moved in with his coach while playing for the Indoor Football League’s Reading Express. Jones couldn’t afford rent; he earned just $200 a game.

And then things got really tough.

Over the next 4 1/2 years, Jones would sign with eight different NFL franchises.

He has been fired a staggering 13 times in his young career, including twice by the Dolphins.

The first time Miami cut him was three days before Thanksgiving in 2012. His wife had already made plans to fly in to see him for the holiday, so she made the trip anyway.

“As soon as I’m picking her up at the airport, [the Colts] call me back and I go right back to Indy on their active [roster],” Jones said. “We went right back to the house, packed my stuff up, the next morning I had to fly her back to school and I went back to Indy. That was probably like the craziest story I’ve had so far.”

Emphasis on so far.

Because Jones’ best story might not yet be written. A Hollywood ending is in reach.

With Jordan Cameron and Dion Sims both out indefinitely because of concussions, Jones and fellow backup MarQueis Gray will likely be the Dolphins’ top two tight ends Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

“You never know what’s going on in this league,” said Gray, who caught three passes for 81 yards Sunday. “You’re only one play from being a starter, and here we are now.”

Neither is a household name, but there’s really no comparing the odds overcome by Jones and Gray to get here.

A player like Gray, a four-year letterman at Minnesota, starting an NFL game would be like hitting the lottery’s Pick 3.

A guy like Jones starting at pro football’s highest level would be like collecting the Mega Millions jackpot

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article109020982.html#storylink=rss

We knew from training camp that he was the best TE but Marquis Gray offered so much at the TE position because of his versatility. But it has to be very comforting for an OC to have all these weapons on Offense. I mean Grant, Juice, DVP, Gray, probably the fastest TE in the league. I cant wait till we put it all together.

Back
Top Bottom