The Rundown - Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Rundown - Miami Dolphins

shalafi3455

Big Dawg
Reaction score
The Sports Xchange

July 10, 2004

To say Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt has high expectations for his defense in 2004 is an understatement.

"This will be the best Dolphins defense in the history of this franchise. I promise you that," Wannstedt said last month at the team's annual kickoff banquet.

While such a declaration raises the bar to a ridiculous level, Miami's unit has the potential to rank in franchise history with the No Name Defense and Killer B's.

"I take it as a challenge," Dolphins defensive end Jay Williams said of Wannstedt's comments. "That's what a coach is supposed to do. He's supposed to motivate you and get you ready to play. Put something in front of you and make you go after it. I take it as a positive statement."

Once defensive end Adewale Ogunleye ends his contract holdout, Miami will have 10 of 11 starters back from a unit that while ranking third in points allowed (16.3 average) and 10th in overall defense (299.2 yards). Provided there are no depth-chart changes in training camp, the lone new starter would be free safety Arturo Freeman, who started every game at strong safety in 2002.

The Dolphins were the NFL's only team not to allow a 100-yard rusher in 2003 and could be even stouter up the middle with defensive tackle Larry Chester shedding more than 50 pounds during the offseason. Chester is expected to report to training camp at about 325 pounds, which should result in greatly improved stamina and make it easier to shed blocks.

As for pass defense, Miami could field the NFL's best trio of cornerbacks in Patrick Surtain, Sam Madison and free agent acquisition Reggie Howard (Carolina). Ogunleye and fellow defensive end Jason Taylor also combined for 28 sacks last season, which was the NFL's best two-man total for teammates in 2003.

Ogunleye, who had an AFC-best 15 sacks last season, is threatening a holdout between seven to 10 games if not rewarded with a multiyear contract extension. Until his return, Williams, David Bowens and Otis Grigsby will receive the bulk of the snaps at left defensive end.

NOTES

--The Dolphins recently made a roster move involving reserve wide receivers, releasing Nick Davis while signing Bobby Sippio.

Davis, who played in one game as a rookie for Minnesota in 2003, suffered a broken ankle this spring while playing for the Scottish Claymores. Davis was allocated to NFL Europe shortly after signing with Miami in January.

The 24-year-old Sippio had a standout Arena League season with the Dallas Desperados, catching 75 passes for 1,218 passes and 32 touchdowns. Sippio, who attended Western Kentucky, played the previous season for Greensboro in Arena League 2.

Sippio is a long shot for Miami's 53-man roster, but the Dolphins are expected to carry at least one receiver on their eight-man developmental squad.

OFFSEASON PERSONNEL

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers): DE Rob Burnett (not tendered as UFA); WR Oronde Gadsden (not tendered as UFA); OG Jamie Nails (not tendered as UFA); RB/KR Charlie Rogers (not tendered as UFA); CB Jimmy Wyrick (not tendered as UFA).

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (1): DE Adewale Ogunleye (tendered at $1.924M; wants a long-term deal and is making noise about being a holdout).

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED: S Arturo Freeman (Potential UFA; $3.906M/2 yrs, $71,000 SB/$3M base '05; 2004 cap: $570,500); LB Morlon Greenwood (RFA; $628,000/1 yr); RB Leonard Henry (Potential ERFA; $380,000/1 yr); OT Greg Jerman (ERFA; $380,000/1 yr); RB Travis Minor (RFA; $628,000/1 yr); LS Ed Perry (UFA; $685,000/1 yr, $25,000 SB; 2004 cap: $480,000); DT Dario Romero (Potential ERFA; $380,000/1 yr); QB Sage Rosenfels (RFA; $628,000/1 yr); P Matt Turk (UFA; $2.645M/3 yrs, $350,000 SB; 2004 cap: $876,667); S Shawn Wooden (UFA; $685,000/1 yr, $25,000 SB; 2004 cap: $480,000).

PLAYERS ACQUIRED: S Chris Akins (UFA Patriots; $1.945M/3 yrs, $160,000 SB; 2004 cap: $588,333); WR David Boston (trade Chargers); S Antuan Edwards (UFA Packers; $560,000/1 yr, $25,000 SB; 2004 cap: $480,000); QB A.J. Feeley (trade Eagles; $18.65M/5 yrs, $3M SB; 2004 cap: $1.055M); CB Reggie Howard (UFA Panthers; $21.535M/6 yrs, $4.5M SB/$1.25M RB '05 and '06; 2004 cap: $1.285M); OG Jeno James (UFA Panthers; $21.135M/6 yrs, $4.25M SB/$750,000 RB '05; 2004 cap: $1.243M); TE John Jones (UFA Ravens; $1.125M/2 yrs, $50,000 SB; 2004 cap: $560,000); OT Damion McIntosh (UFA Chargers; $19.935M/6 yrs, $300,000 SB/$400,000 RB; $1.2M RB '05/$500,000 RB '06; 2004 cap: $985,000); FB Sammy Morris (UFA Bills; $1.335M/2 yrs, $200,000 SB; 2004 cap: $635,000); OT John St. Clair (UFA Rams; $2.6M/2 yrs, $600,000 SB; 2004 cap: $900,000); WR/KR Terrence Wilkins (UFA Colts; $560,000/1 yr; $12,500 RB/$12,500 WOB; 2004 cap: $480,000).

PLAYERS LOST: FB Obafemi Ayanbadejo (UFA Cardinals; $1.275M/2 yrs, $200,000 SB); CB Terrell Buckley (not tendered as UFA/Patriots; $760,000/1 yr); OT Mark Dixon (released); CB Jamar Fletcher (traded Chargers); S Trent Gamble (released); QB Brian Griese (released); LB Tommy Hendricks (UFA Jaguars; $1.385M/2 yrs, $250,000 SB); S Brock Marion (released); WR James McKnight (released); OG Todd Perry (released/failed physical); C Tim Ruddy (released/failed physical); OT Todd Wade (UFA Texans; $30.04M/6 yrs, $10M SB).

shalafi3455 said:

"This will be the best Dolphins defense in the history of this franchise. I promise you that," Wannstedt said last month at the team's annual kickoff banquet.
Must be another spin.

I though Wanny didn't motivate players, I don't understand this statement by Williams.

"I take it as a challenge," Dolphins defensive end Jay Williams said of Wannstedt's comments. "That's what a coach is supposed to do. He's supposed to motivate you and get you ready to play. Put something in front of you and make you go after it. I take it as a positive statement."

Didn't some of you guys say that Wanny doesn't motivate? I though he wasn't getting though to the players? Hmmmmmmmm, do we know all that we think we know?

I wish Wanny would shut his piehole to the media there is no need to motivate the rest of the league to put points on the board. To say the fins will field the best D in frachise history is quite a stretch and not very smart. If you notice teams that win these days, come out of cellar not from the top of the heap. Wanny just doesn't get it. He needs to take things ONE GAME AT A TIME, he's putting a false sense of confidence into the D's mind. He needs to build the team up, not stick them on top right from the start. This will only lead to the same kind of late season slump we've seen so many times before, doe's anyone else see a pattern here?

MDFINFAN said:
I though Wanny didn't motivate players, I don't understand this statement by Williams.

Didn't some of you guys say that Wanny doesn't motivate? I though he wasn't getting though to the players? Hmmmmmmmm, do we know all that we think we know?
Just b/c Wannstedt makes a statement doesn't mean he motivates the players. He sure didn't motivate Ricky to lead the league in rushing the 2nd half of the season last year. He didn't motivate the Bears that season when he said they were poised to make a super bowl run. When asked about what Wannstedt said, how else would Jay Williams respond? By the way, didn't some of you guys say that it isn't the job of the coach to motivate the players? Apparently, Jay Williams thinks otherwise.

MDFINFAN said:

If its as effective as his previous vain attempts at motivation I would say yes, we do know what were talking about.

MDFINFAN said:

Action speak louder than words.

feelthepain said:
I wish Wanny would shut his piehole to the media there is no need to motivate the rest of the league to put points on the board. To say the fins will field the best D in frachise history is quite a stretch and not very smart. If you notice teams that win these days, come out of cellar not from the top of the heap. Wanny just doesn't get it. He needs to take things ONE GAME AT A TIME, he's putting a false sense of confidence into the D's mind. He needs to build the team up, not stick them on top right from the start. This will only lead to the same kind of late season slump we've seen so many times before, doe's anyone else see a pattern here?
i dont agree with you at all does anybody else agree with this thread?:tongueout

Justasportsfan said:
Action speak louder than words.
Amen to that. Wanny making a statement saying the defence is great isnt exactly motivation.

finphan said:
Just b/c Wannstedt makes a statement doesn't mean he motivates the players. He sure didn't motivate Ricky to lead the league in rushing the 2nd half of the season last year. He didn't motivate the Bears that season when he said they were poised to make a super bowl run. When asked about what Wannstedt said, how else would Jay Williams respond? By the way, didn't some of you guys say that it isn't the job of the coach to motivate the players? Apparently, Jay Williams thinks otherwise.
couldnt have said it better myself.

feelthepain said:

What, are you scared?? You think this defense is scared of the rest of the league?? Hell no!! They already get everyone's best shot. Everybody gets fired up to play the best CBs and the best pair of DEs in the league. They already get fired up to face Ricky Williams. If the rest of the league is paying attention to what our coach says at BANQUET NIGHT, which is meant to fire up the fans and get them to spend on tickets, oh well. It's a damn pep rally for heaven's sake. Heck, I like that Wanny is challenging them. He's not the greatest of motivators, but I like that he's setting the bar high.

You're right about worst to first. The Bucs always had trouble getting into the playoffs. Philly consistently finishes at the bottom. And boy those Pats came outta nowhere. The Rams?? They generally don't get in. Baltimore hasn't made noise. Tennessee was a shock for me. ;)

Finally, the one game at a time thing is just ridiculous. You mean to tell me that those 100+ hour weeks Wanny works aren't dedicated to that week's opponent?? :smackhead

Back
Top Bottom