The scoop on Jay in 2002 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The scoop on Jay in 2002

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
I know we just won 41-6, but I just read this...at http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1291502.html

Given the miserable condition of their ground game, the Miami Dolphins have turned more to the pass in recent weeks, and quarterback Jay Fiedler is averaging nearly six attempts more per game in the past month than he did previously. That said, the team isn't quite ready to commit yet to Fiedler as their quarterback for the future. There have been no substantive negotiations by the Dolphins for a contract extension with Fiedler. The team's starting signal-caller has reached enough predetermined performance benchmarks to void the 2002 season of his original contract with the team and become a free agent. But there is a catch: The Dolphins retain a right of first refusal, can match any offer to Fiedler, and are skeptical any team is going to pay him something that would make Miami really have to think hard. There will be some mid-level quarterbacks like Gus Frerotte and Trent Dilfer in the free agent market next spring, and the Dolphins coaches are still intrigued by Ray Lucas' athleticism. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey loves quarterbacks who have at least a little mobility. The upshot is that Fiedler probably will be back in Miami in 2002, but no one is in a hurry to get anything done right now, and the Dolphins are so pushed against the cap they wouldn't be able to make a proposal anyway. By the way, sources noted that Henry Taylor, the young defensive tackle signed this week by Miami, is in essence the subject of a one-week audition. If he doesn't show much by next week, the Dolphins probably will sign a veteran, either Tim Morabito or Tom Barndt, both of whom worked out in Miami this week.

I think he'll be back

Yeah, I think Fiedler will be back next year, especially if he continues like he has the last couple of weeks. As long as he stays consistent, 'cause he makes me :goof: otherwise.

i've said it many a time...............

jay either looks bad or very good. maybe efficient is a better word! :evil:

from Alex

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-marvezqa.htmlstory

Q: What will it take for the Dolphins to extend Jay Fiedler's contract? Will he get huge money now? Kyle B., Davie, FL

A: Fiedler can opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent at season’s end, but the Dolphins would have the right of first refusal on any deal he lands elsewhere. The Dolphins are so strapped against the salary cap that a deal probably wouldn’t be finalized until February at the earliest. Also, as well as Fiedler has played the past three weeks, the rest of the season will determine whether he is the Dolphins’ quarterback of the future

Fiedler still sucks

Let him leave.

What has he done the past 3 weeks. Let's look at this.

Buffalo - nice 4th quarter but what about the other 3. And don't forget Gadsen knocking away a game-ending interception in the endzone to keep us alive.

Denver. One drive for a TD. The other 2 TD's came off an interception returned for a TD and a fumble recovery inside the 10.

Indy. Well we know about their defense. Plus several short-fields due to Colt turnovers and Lamar rushes for over 100.

Jay's a timebomb and he's set to implode during the playoffs.

I'm not big on Fiedler either, but you have to give credit where it is due. The only thing the Miami Dolphins qb is asked to do is not turn the ball over and keep the other team w/bad field postion. Feidler has done that the past 3 weeks very nicely. As they proved in Denver and in Buffalo if you don't give the game away, and still have a shot in the 4th they will win. I think mainly b/c you have to be in better shape to deal w/training camp in S Florida. If we went out and got a qb that could win every game w/his arm in would compromise our d. Ask Baltimore about that.

Yeah but Fiedler's going to be asking for 4-5 million a year and I say we can play safe-ball with a 1-2 million dollar QB. So let him go if the price is not to our liking.

I am not a fan of Jay Fiedler, although he has been great in the last three. He hasn't turned the ball over, which is key. But we haven't exactly gone up against the strongest defenses, either. I wanna see how he does this week against San Francisco, whose defense has been good so far this season.

Originally posted by FinsOnTop
Yeah but Fiedler's going to be asking for 4-5 million a year and I say we can play safe-ball with a 1-2 million dollar QB. So let him go if the price is not to our liking.

I second that...If he leaves give Lucas or Mcnown the shot :evil:

Re: how much is manning

Originally posted by dolfan06
getting. and he's thrown a ton of INT's. **** happens! :D
exactly - there ain't much out there that is any better. 4-5 Mil is too much for Fiedler though. If you look at the stats, we could have gone for Griese who has not been better than Jay or Grbac, Hasselback and Green who have sucked. In the NFC - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=pass&sort=rat&league=nfc&season=2&year=2001 - we could have gone for B Johnson who has done nothing. So for the "reasonable" price, Jay is a keeper as of now.

this season............

even in the wins, jay has made me nervous. but there is no sense putting out big bucks for a QB that will do the same thing!:(

Lets stay focused on the season at hand

Are you kidding me? Let's stay focused on this year. We're 9-3 and in first place with momentum heading into the playoffs! Whatever happens in the offseason happens. I would like to keep Fiedler though.....he's learned our offense and he knows how to execute our offense.
By the way.......did someone mentin Gus Frerotte(sp?) or Trent Dilfer???!!!!!!!!!!! We don't need another 'fair at best' QB. If that's the case, we'll stick with who we have.
IN FIEDLER WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Back
Top Bottom