The skinny following Sunday afternoon practice | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The skinny following Sunday afternoon practice

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Today's afternoon practice was interesting in that we saw a rookie cornerback make a play, we saw an embattled wide receiver make a play, we saw Jason Allen struggle, and we saw more good work from Brandon Marshall.

Along the chemistry lab everyone else calls the offensive line, Donald Thomas took the first-team snaps at left guard for the first time this training camp, replacing Cory Procter, whose been manning the spot on previous days. Joe Berger worked with the first-teamers at center while Jake Grove worked with the second team.

Rookie John Jerry, a rookie puppy, continues to run with the big dogs on first team as the Dolphins continue to see if he has any bite, as Bill Parcells likes to say. ("If they don't bite when they're pups, they don't bite.")

Receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen sat out practice. It is not serious.

Patrick Turner update. Finally!

Many of you have been begging for a Patrick Turner update but I haven't provided one because, frankly, he hadn't really done anything of note until Sunday afternoon that I believed merited attention. He is, after all, a fifth or sixth receiver right now.

But Sunday afternoon Turner turned in a hopeful sign of what might be on the horizon when he caught a leaping, twisting pass in traffic. It was a highlight moment for a guy who was a terrible disappointment a year ago and needs much improvement to even make the team now.

Afterward, Turner spoke of how he's been watching Brandon Marshall, a very similar body type, and trying to labsorb everything he can from the veteran.

"Brandon has been successful in the league, he's a Pro Bowler." Turner said. "You can't help but learn something from the guy every day. Brandon being sort of the same size and the same body type, I can go ask him questions and pick his mind a little bit."

Turner spent the entire offseason recovering from an injury and wasn't able to participate in any camps. But Turner downplays that he failed to make up ground during a time everyone else was trying to get better.

"I rehabbed hard, worked hard and the trainers did a great job and I feel they put me in a spot where I can come out and compete and show my skills," he said. "It can be a setback for you not being out here and not getting reps, but with any injury, it's your job to battle back and fight that."

So how does

"Coming out every day and showing them what I can do."

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz0vOU9E900

Anyone getting excited about Turner should be cautious. He was lighting it up at this same time last year, and then **** a brick in preseason.

Anyone getting excited about Turner should be cautious. He was lighting it up at this same time last year, and then **** a brick in preseason.

Slight correction. Turner was lighting it up in OTA's and mini-camps, last year and then proceeded to crap the bed in TC and Preseason.

Turner was actually pretty solid in camp last year. It's just he never showed up in the preseason games and then completely disappeared thereafter.

No last year he sucked in Training Camp and excelled in OTAs.

Cant wait to use Carroll, Clemons, Allen, and Davis in Madden 11.

the interior offensive line worries me almost as much as the secondary.

Forgive me, but I think you are out of your mind.

We have some of the best depth on the OL in the league. We are rotating our players in there to maintain competition at the positions. Berger/Grove - Thomas/Procter - Garner / Incognito... Unless you are saying that our secondary does not concern you?

The most interesting part of that article was:

Will Allen, also coming back from knee surgery, looks much better than he did in the offseason and maybe even better than he looked in camp last year.

No last year he sucked in Training Camp and excelled in OTAs.

Cant wait to use Carroll, Clemons, Allen, and Davis in Madden 11.

I can't wait to use Brandon Marshall!!! It has been HOW many years since we had an impact receiver, let alone one of the best three in the game? Obviously I'm more excited to see him help us win -- but the Madden factor is awesome.

i think its a waste of $, i mean a brand new one comes out every year, and 09 was awful too (i never played 10)

Forgive me, but I think you are out of your mind.

We have some of the best depth on the OL in the league. We are rotating our players in there to maintain competition at the positions. Berger/Grove - Thomas/Procter - Garner / Incognito... Unless you are saying that our secondary does not concern you?
you forgot about Jerry in your rotation. won't trust Incognito to be solid until a several games into the season and he hasn't taken a crap on the field. won't trust Grove to finish the year until the year is finished. Odrick is already smacking around Thomas & Procter. and no i wasn't being facetious, the secondary worries me also.

The o-line does concern me a bit. I'm not saying as much as our secondary, but there are a lot of new faces on the line and one of the biggest factors for an offensive line to exceed is to play together.

you forgot about Jerry in your rotation. won't trust Incognito to be solid until a several games into the season and he hasn't taken a crap on the field. won't trust Grove to finish the year until the year is finished. Odrick is already smacking around Thomas & Procter. and no i wasn't being facetious, the secondary worries me also.

I think Odrick will be smacking around a lot of people this yr. He has been overlooked so far, but he won't be for long.
I'm predicting he will be a candidate for DROY

Back
Top Bottom