The team no one wants to play | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The team no one wants to play

Rafiki

The Truth (I promise)
Reaction score
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

RUSTON, La. – Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but all three of the Gators, Crimson Tide, and Longhorns would annihilate Boise State. It wouldn't even be close.

Sorry but all three of the Gators, Crimson Tide, and Longhorns would annihilate Boise State. It wouldn't even be close.

Easy to say, but not so easy to do. Boise has lost 3 times in the last four years. And that isn't just from playing cupcakes, no other team in FBS (including the cupcake conferences) has a record to match. And if Boise State is such a mismatch with their cupcake schedule, doesn't that at least say that Boise is in a league above them?

And if it was true that Boise would be a pushover, then why won't BCS conferences schedule them?

Afterall, if you're so sure it would be an annihilation, wouldn't that mean that the team who beats Boise gets a ranked victory in their house? It would be easy, right? Then what's the big deal?

The big deal is that BCS conferences do not want to play Boise because then if Boise won they'd have to give them respect. They don't want to do that (they still don't give Utah respect). As far as BCS schools are concerned, all space in the "elite" football programs is taken.

They don't want to play BSU because if they did, then they wouldn't have an argument to keep them OUT of the national championship. That is all.

Teams with an opening on Sept 3, 2011 [(x)= how many OOC games they've scheduled]:

ACC

• Duke (2)
  • Georgia Tech (3)
  • Miami (Florida) (3)
  • NC State (1)
  • Virginia (2)
  • Wake Forest (2)
BIG 12

• Kansas (2)
  • Missouri (1)
  • Nebraska (3)
  • Oklahoma (1)
  • Oklahoma State (1)
  • Texas Tech (3)
BIG EAST

• Connecticut (4)
  • Pittsburgh (3)
  • Rutgers (4)
  • Syracuse (2)
  • USF (3)

BIG TEN

• Illinois (0)
  • Indiana (1)
  • Iowa (2)
  • Michigan (1)

PAC 10

• California (1)
  • Oregon State (2)
  • WSU (0)
SEC

• Alabama (2)
  • Auburn (1)
  • Kentucky (0)
  • LSU (3)

What's their excuse?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are an awful lot of pronouns in that article. I wish they'd mention which teams they've talked to.

It's real easy for a team that plays one or two tough games per year to call another school "chicken" for not scheduling them, even though they have conference opponents, and other tough non-conference opponents already scheduled.

The best bet is look for a Big 10 team. They're the ones that need tougher non-conference games. Can't really look at a Big 12, SEC, ACC team and expect them to schedule such a big game on short notice. Although the author suggested Nebraska, and I think that would be a good fit.

RUSTON, La. – Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.

I feel ya man.. Im a big fan of you guys.. This is why the system needs to be fixed

Count USF out or at least i think we have nothing to gain by playing you guys. We are too busy trying to get a piece of the FL pie. Playing Florida St. Miami and Florida.

Teams with an opening on Sept 3, 2011 [(x)= how many OOC games they've scheduled]:

ACC

• Duke (2)
  • Georgia Tech (3)
  • Miami (Florida) (3)
  • NC State (1)
  • Virginia (2)
  • Wake Forest (2)
BIG 12

• Kansas (2)
  • Missouri (1)
  • Nebraska (3)
  • Oklahoma (1)
  • Oklahoma State (1)
  • Texas Tech (3)
BIG EAST

• Connecticut (4)
  • Pittsburgh (3)
  • Rutgers (4)
  • Syracuse (2)
  • USF (3)

BIG TEN

• Illinois (0)
  • Indiana (1)
  • Iowa (2)
  • Michigan (1)

PAC 10
  • California (1)
  • Oregon State (2)
  • WSU (0)
SEC

• Alabama (2)
  • Auburn (1)
  • Kentucky (0)
  • LSU (3)

What's their excuse?

Those teams in bold i feel have no excuse. They are good western programs. Its really up to the power house teams on the western side to answer the challenge.

Miami is keeping their 4 OOC opponent open because we're still trying to workout a series with Notre Dame. Miami playing Boise State right now doesn't make much sense. I understand what Boise State is trying to do here which is the same thing we were trying to do in the late 70's and early 80's and that was trying to play quality opponents to make a name for ourselves. But Miami playing Boise State doesn't benefit Miami one bit. First off, we don't recruit in Idaho. Second Boise State would probably beat the brakes off of us right now. An elite program like Miami has to benefit in some way from their matchup and playing Boise State just doesn't make much sense. I hate the fact that we're playing USF so much in the next coming years. We don't benefit if we beat USF but it hurts us in a major way if we lose. Paul Dee was such an idiot.

I personally think Boise State should try and play some Big 12 teams. Especially Nebraska. Nebraska is trying to get back to where they once were and they have great coaching along with great recruiting. Neither team would have to travel very far and I'm sure both would benefit from a home and home.

Miami is keeping their 4 OOC opponent open because we're still trying to workout a series with Notre Dame. Miami playing Boise State right now doesn't make much sense. I understand what Boise State is trying to do here which is the same thing we were trying to do in the late 70's and early 80's and that was trying to play quality opponents to make a name for ourselves. But Miami playing Boise State doesn't benefit Miami one bit. First off, we don't recruit in Idaho. Second Boise State would probably beat the brakes off of us right now. An elite program like Miami has to benefit in some way from their matchup and playing Boise State just doesn't make much sense. I hate the fact that we're playing USF so much in the next coming years. We don't benefit if we beat USF but it hurts us in a major way if we lose. Paul Dee was such an idiot.

I personally think Boise State should try and play some Big 12 teams. Especially Nebraska. Nebraska is trying to get back to where they once were and they have great coaching along with great recruiting. Neither team would have to travel very far and I'm sure both would benefit from a home and home.

Boise's O would rip our D to shreds right now. USF sucks because of the reasons you listed. You win "why didn't you win by more?" you lose "Haha, you lost to USF"

Not like we're gaining any recruiting battles with it. I'd rather schedule a home and home with someone like SDSU so we could tap into So Cal recruiting a bit. They don't have a chance in hell in beating us, and we'd get our name into So Cal. Even a UCLA series again wouldn't be bad. Wyoming gets big name schools to play up there all the time, but we wouldn't gain much by winning in Laramie....how they got Texas up there is beyond me.

Fresno State is another one I think would be a good school to schedule, but again, the only thing you gain is getting our name out around CA....probably would be better off schedule SJSU instead...though I think a Fresno-Miami series would be a good one.

Maybe play a Home and Home with Hawaii too..nets us an extra game the year we go out there, and maybe we can convince some of those Samoan boys to come play OL for us.

Reason you guys are playing us so much in the coming years is that we are starting to be a thorn in your backside when it comes to recruiting. We get a good amount of players from the Miami area. If we win our match up coming up in the next 2-3 weeks, watch out. Beating Florida St. and Miami in the same year would do amazing things for our recruiting.

:confused:

As for USF - I'm glad we're playing them. We should be playing more Florida schools, and at least someone isn't too chicken to give us a game every year. Rivalries put fans in the stand, and that's one thing we're lacking. This is about more than just wins, it's about the program and the university itself.

So the question is: if Boise State is unable to get any response from the BCS schools to fill their 2011 schedule, is the argument that they need to schedule tougher opponents diminished in any way?

I think it is. Other WAC schools like Fresno State, Nevada, and New Mexico State have absolutely no problem scheduling schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Boise State's difficulty can only be attributed to the fact that, unlike their WAC brethren, they actually can beat BCS teams.

So the question is: if Boise State is unable to get any response from the BCS schools to fill their 2011 schedule, would they deserve a shot at the BCS title in 2011 if they went undefeated?

I changed the question you asked from theoretical to practical. If that's what you're asking, the answer is no. Asking isn't the same as winning. You can't just ask a few schools and then throw your hands in the air expecting everyone to feel sorry for you.

Back
Top Bottom