The top 15 NFL players who are tremendously overpaid | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The top 15 NFL players who are tremendously overpaid

datruth55

Hungry for defense
Club Member
Reaction score
12. Mike Pouncey, C Dolphins
2017 Cap hit: $8.97 million
Position rank: 3rd

usatsi_9682707.jpg

Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports

Pouncey is a good center. He just doesn’t play enough games. Over the last four seasons, the Dolphins center has missed 19 games.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/nfl...t-contracts-joe-flacco-dez-bryant-josh-norman

Yeah, that list is loaded with some overpaid guys. Tavon Austin. Brock Osweiler ... some real cringe-worthy contracts for unimpressive players!

Pouncey's contract flabbergasted me at the time. I was hoping, and to a degree it has, that the acceleration of the salary cap increase would make it look more palatable. But the reality is that it was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money at the time, and given his increasingly worsening healthy issues--which are rather predictable because OL with injuries tend to get injured increasingly more often each year--that Pouncey deal now looks like an anchor around our necks. We can't cut him and move on, and we certainly cannot depend on him.

Mike Pouncey can play. No argument there. But when he's a Center, required to help mitigate the undervalued and understaffed positions of RG and LG, he better be playing every week. Mike Pouncey is utterly unreliable because of his health.

I gotta say, Mike Pouncey's inclusion on this list is warranted. He may not be as horrible of a salary decision as Tavon Austin or Brock Osweiler, but he definitely deserves his spot on that list.

Get new scouts specifically for OL, and pay them with all that money Ross loves to spend. We are obviously not good at scouting OL unless they are such a consensus great and complete player that they go in the 1st round. Those guys aren't hard to scout. We need to pay our scouts to get us decent players in the middle rounds, which so far we haven't done (although I do have hope for Asiata).

Most incredible was that we dropped that contract in his lap despite being fully aware of his injury status and it's possible long term effects.

Hopefully we soon approach this like the Ravens did with Dennis Pitta because those two are becoming more and more alike. Pitta was damn good but hip surgery after hip surgery led to him reworking his contract to help the team out, then eventually when the injury bug popped up again, Ravens were able to cut him without major damage to wallet. Only thing I would want different from Miami approach is to have a replacement lined up and ready to go(even though that probably means another season of Pouncey and a offseason/preseason to develop a center into NFL starting material), unlike the Ravens that seem to be S.O.L at TE spot(could be wrong though, they could have a gem on the roster).

That contract has to be restructured for it to pay off. Pouncey sees the writing on the wall and will most likely balk. I want to see this working out but all I see is a center with a degenerative hip condition who wants to get every penny from the biggest contract he'll ever receive ... can't blame him. Injuries happen in sports and it's a shame ... for all parties.

That contract has to be restructured for it to pay off. Pouncey sees the writing on the wall and will most likely balk. I want to see this working out but all I see is a center with a degenerative hip condition who wants to get every penny from the biggest contract he'll ever receive ... can't blame him. Injuries happen in sports and it's a shame ... for all parties.

The best contract he'll ever get is his rookie contract and his next will likely be with another team. Injuries run in the family so more than likely both brothers will deminish each other value

The best contract he'll ever get is his rookie contract and his next will likely be with another team. Injuries run in the family so more than likely both brothers will deminish each other value

Maybe one of these days they'll be able to pool enough money together to free Hernandez . . . oh, never mind.

Most incredible was that we dropped that contract in his lap despite being fully aware of his injury status and it's possible long term effects.

What I find even more interesting is that he and his brother have missed almost exactly the same amount of time due to injuries. Genetics are a bitch man.

Pouncey isn't grossly overpaid and his contract hasn't hurt the Dolphins as far as being able to recruit talent from the free agent pool, however, he is on the books for another 8 million next year and the Phins can cut him and save 8 million...no way he's on this team after the season.......well maybe.

What I find even more interesting is that he and his brother have missed almost exactly the same amount of time due to injuries. Genetics are a ***** man.

Maurkice has missed 35 games
Mike...19 games

Back
Top Bottom