The Vikings trade..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Vikings trade.....

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Hindsight is leading me to an opinion. I thought I would get your take on it.

I think we could have had the Vikings two first rounders. I have question as to if there may have been more on the table than those two picks. But I think back to the predraft press conference the Vikings had. They said there was one or two guys that they would consider moving up for in the draft. The conventional wisdom was that the Vikings wanted Braylon Edwards.

The Dolphins have been contacted by Minnesota about a possible trade as the Vikings try to find a trading partner to move up from the No. 7 overall pick in the NFL draft to get Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards.

A Vikings source confirmed that the team has talked to San Francisco and Miami about a possible move. In addition, another source said Minnesota also is talking with Cleveland about the No. 3 pick.

The Vikings have the No. 7 and No. 18 picks, and will be looking for the cheapest trade among the top picks.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/special_packages/herald_sports/11429549.htm

Then came this story after the draft out of Minnesota.

Several geniuses in the Vikings war room said they would have drafted Williamson even if Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards was available. Edwards was taken with the third pick in the first round by Cleveland. However, had running back Ronnie Brown of Auburn been available, the Vikings people said they would have had a very tough decision, because they really liked Brown, who went second overall to Miami. The Vikings had six scouts either personally work out Williamson or study film of his college performance, and all agreed that he was the first- or second-best player on the board.
http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5366877-2.html

A long story short here.......Based on that information I would say that Saban isn't bullsh*ttin'. He wanted Ronnie Brown the entire time and he felt Brown was worth more than the 7th and 18th picks at the very least.

ZOD said:
Hindsight is leading me to an opinion. I thought I would get your take on it.

I think we could have had the Vikings two first rounders. I have question as to if there may have been more on the table than those two picks. But I think back to the predraft press conference the Vikings had. They said there was one or two guys that they would consider moving up for in the draft. The conventional wisdom was that the Vikings wanted Braylon Edwards.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/special_packages/herald_sports/11429549.htm

Then came this story after the draft out of Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5366877-2.html

A long story short here.......Based on that information I would say that Saban isn't bullsh*ttin'. He wanted Ronnie Brown the entire time and he felt Brown was worth more than the 7th and 18th picks at the very least.

unless both Cleveland and Miami were dumb enough to try and take hostages. If Minnesota promised to trade up, they will pay when they try to deal with either again. Only time will tell on this front. There aint a doubt Tice is playing to save his job. Someone like that, will do anything to win. And if he burnt bridges, only time will tell......

I think that a lot of people would have been suprised if the Viking's had taken Brown which it looks like they would have done... I had a feeling that they wouldn't trade up to get Edwards because they liked Williamson at #7.

Apparently Gruden would have preferred Ronnie over Cadillac.

FYI, I joined a Raiders forum because my cousin is a Raiders fan and they were very complimentary about our draft.

They majority wanted Norv to draft Matt Roth at #26 (before they traded up), they all said that Crowder will be a beast... and all thought that Ronnie will be the next great RB in this league. The word 'stud' was used by about 10-15 people.

Saban got his guy, tbh the only trade he really wanted IMHO was to get Cleveland to move up to #2 and pick up either a second or third. He wanted them to believe that he wanted Edwards and not Ronnie. But Savage was not going to budge, Butch would have done.

cleveland was the only trade imo - brown wouldnt have lasted past the 3 and saban had to feel brown was worth more to the team than 2 lower 1st round pix

My wifes family is from Minnesota..I know I feel for her. Florida native here. Anyway, I was up in Minnesota all last week and flew back to Florida Sunday night. Every sports station there had Mike Tice the HC for the Vikings talking. They wanted to trade with Miami for Brown your right. Tice said he believed Brown was the best player in the draft, and Miami was making it difficult to negotiate a trade. (My take was that Saban knew the Vikes wanted Brown and so did he.) IMO Saban made the right move.

Well I should have saw that one coming...Minnesota isn't exactly settled on O with the RB's they have now. Between injury (Bennett), Drugs (Smith), and Mr. Mediocrity (Williams)...that backfield is servicable at best.

*EDIT*
Wait I forgot about Mewelde Moore. I think they use him more often next season.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't trade down... but now I'm glad, really glad.

If we had traded down we would not have got a RB. I have not heard so many good things about a RB coming out of the draft for ages. Was LT hyped as much as Ronnie was/is?

Saban ran the draft perfectly. If Minny came in with a mind blowing offer I think he would have taken it... but it would have had to have been pretty special to give up the chance to get Ronnie.

finsnchips said:
I was a bit disappointed we didn't trade down... but now I'm glad, really glad.

If we had traded down we would not have got a RB. I have not heard so many good things about a RB coming out of the draft for ages. Was LT hyped as much as Ronnie was/is?

Saban ran the draft perfectly. If Minny came in with a mind blowing offer I think he would have taken it... but it would have had to have been pretty special to give up the chance to get Ronnie.

The thing that gets me about Brown is that scouts were saying he has the best hands out of ANYBODY in the draft. With his speed, he could be used in motion, line up in the slot or even on the outside.

He could be a real match up nightmare for the opposing team. There's no way they can cover him with a LB and he has the strength to make it difficult for a corner. There aren't even many safteties fast enough to cover him. I'm really excited about seeing this guy play.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
The thing that gets me about Brown is that scouts were saying he has the best hands out of ANYBODY in the draft. With his speed, he could be used in motion, line up in the slot or even on the outside.

He could be a real match up nightmare for the opposing team. There's no way they can cover him with a LB and he has the strength to make it difficult for a corner. There aren't even many safteties fast enough to cover him. I'm really excited about seeing this guy play.
me too man...

Ronnie is going to be a beast... we picked the right guy.

CanadaPhinsFan said:

As I have said all along with our debates over Benson, Brown and Caddy, Brown BEST fits what our offensive scheme will be. With his hands, he is as good as another WR on the field. Will be very interesting...

Regardless of the kind of speculations we can come up with about the possible offers, the bottom line is that Saban calculated the value of the offer compared to the value of the player and didn't find anything to his liking. There still is no evidence that the Vikes were willing to package both 1st rounders for Brown or anyone else.

I was hoping Minn. would have traded up with SF and we would have gotten a shot at Alex Smith. But, I'm glad we went with Brown over Edwards, b/c Edwards as that TO/Moss kind of attitude, he would be more likely to hold out, imo, and he won't be as versatile as Brown.

It will be nice to see Ronnie Brown catch a pass 20-30 yards down field, and then turn it up field and dish some pain out on some DB's.

It was clear before the draft that Ronnie Brown was the player that gives the most bang for the buck. While we don't know exactly what our offense will look like, Ronnie Brown is the pick that gives us the most flexibility offensively because he can be used in so many ways. I was saying this stuff before the draft and using it as the reason Miami would take Ronnie Brown over Braylon Edwards.

KB21 said:
It was clear before the draft that Ronnie Brown was the player that gives the most bang for the buck. While we don't know exactly what our offense will look like, Ronnie Brown is the pick that gives us the most flexibility offensively because he can be used in so many ways. I was saying this stuff before the draft and using it as the reason Miami would take Ronnie Brown over Braylon Edwards.

Yup, he will create matchup problems for other teams. Going to be fun to watch. :)

finsnchips said:
They majority wanted Norv to draft Matt Roth at #26 (before they traded up), they all said that Crowder will be a beast... and all thought that Ronnie will be the next great RB in this league. The word 'stud' was used by about 10-15 people.

Now that I think about it, both Roth and Crowder would have been great fits for the Raiders. Crowder's a phenomenal talent with some questions, and Roth is a borderline psychopath who would have instantly become a favorite in the Black Hole.

Oh well, sucks to be you, Oakland. :)

Back
Top Bottom