The vultures are circling. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The vultures are circling.

phinman1

Seriously now
Reaction score
As I peruse the net about everybody's take on the RW situation, it is clear they think we are finished. King of cnnsi thinks we will win 7 games, some talking head at ESPN predicted a 4 win season. These are only two of numerous examples of the gloom and doom.

Granted, RW going to China to smoke weed and contemplate life is a stunner. But let's take a close look at last season. RW was not the same back. He went down too easily and found the sidelines a lot quicker. How many times did he get stuffed behind the line? It became almost expected. His average per carry was below the league average. It was clear, his heart wasn't in it. Granted our O-line was below average, but RW was nothing special last year in my opinion. That being said, when he wanted to be and had his head on right, he was as dangerous as any back in the league.

The RW of 03 will not be as hard to replace in my opinion as the various talking heads think it will. Right now, this is fresh meat for the never ending line of scribes to devour, whose first instict isn't to analyze, just proclaim our season over. Can Travis Minor et al average the league average per carry? I think he, and they can. Where we will miss RW most is inside the 10 yard line. That's where AJ, DB, RM and CC have to pick it up. This season ain't over. Everybody will see that when we beat Tenn. on opening day.

phinman1 said:
As I peruse the net about everybody's take on the RW situation, it is clear they think we are finished. King of cnnsi thinks we will win 7 games, some talking head at ESPN predicted a 4 win season. These are only two of numerous examples of the gloom and doom.

Granted, RW going to China to smoke weed and contemplate life is a stunner. But let's take a close look at last season. RW was not the same back. He went down too easily and found the sidelines a lot quicker. How many times did he get stuffed behind the line? It became almost expected. His average per carry was below the league average. It was clear, his heart wasn't in it. Granted our O-line was below average, but RW was nothing special last year in my opinion. That being said, when he wanted to be and had his head on right, he was as dangerous as any back in the league.

The RW of 03 will not be as hard to replace in my opinion as the various talking heads think it will. Right now, this is fresh meat for the never ending line of scribes to devour, whose first instict isn't to analyze, just proclaim our season over. Can Travis Minor et al average the league average per carry? I think he, and they can. Where we will miss RW most is inside the 10 yard line. That's where AJ, DB, RM and CC have to pick it up. This season ain't over. Everybody will see that when we beat Tenn. on opening day.

With or without Ricky, winning games this season rest squarely on the O-line. If they are good, Minor will at least be a threat that has to be defended. They'll also give whatever QB is under center time to throw to Chambers and Boston. If they flat out suck, 4-12 is a real possibility. :cry:

Wax it anyway you want, but it will bne a huge loss and it will hurt. You do not lose a 1500 plus yard Pro Bowl back and have it not hurt. Especially when you have no other offense.

Our only prayer is that one of the unknowns (Minor, Henry, Russell) is a stud in backup clothing. If one of those guys breaks out then we will be no worse off. But that would be a miracle.

fin-atic said:
Wax it anyway you want, but it will bne a huge loss and it will hurt. You do not lose a 1500 plus yard Pro Bowl back and have it not hurt. Especially when you have no other offense.

Our only prayer is that one of the unknowns (Minor, Henry, Russell) is a stud in backup clothing. If one of those guys breaks out then we will be no worse off. But that would be a miracle.

That's just it. RW wasn't a 1500 yard back last year. Nor did he run for the league average per carry. As for us having no offense, you assume Boston will be a failure, the newly constructed line will be a failure, and that AJ will be a failure. I'm not ready to assume all that yet. Of course it's a big loss, the point is, it's not as big as we think it is.

phinman, hate to break it to ya son, but Ricky was our offense. You're pinning your hopes on a 3rd string QB? The potential for a successful Wannstedt era have gone down the drain.

demotivators_1793_247977-1.jpg

I've seen Fred Russell play in college, and let me tell you, he was a punisher. If him and Minor are in a head to head competition, Fred should be able to win the job.

The only game I seem Russell play in was the Bowl game against Florida I know he has speed but a punisher I don't know. There is a big difference between College and the pros. Lets hope so.

ltfinfan said:
we went to the playoffs with lamar smith. who thought he would do anything for us

The goal is not the playoffs!!!!!!

Dolfan73 said:
I've seen Fred Russell play in college, and let me tell you, he was a punisher. If him and Minor are in a head to head competition, Fred should be able to win the job.

God help us!!!!!!

I dont know about how we will end up, but i do know one thing, any team that writes us off is making a serious mistake in the week to week grind. I wouldnt want to be the team that needs a win in week 13, 14, 15, and 16 and have to play the Dolphins.

Sure, you'd be better if Ricky stayed, but it's time for Wanny to go to "Plan B" as soon as he figures out what that is.

Let's not forget - your defense is good enough to keep you in every game.

It will also be interesting to see if anyone takes the Fins lightly early on and gets stomped because of it.

Personally, I hope the Pats never take the Fins lightly.

Here's my take, but I refuse to kick people when they are down...

1st off, I feel bad for you fans because of what Ricky did & more so the timing of this was bullsh*t. Your team & their fans deserved better then to wait til a few days before camp opens to spring it on you.

2nd, I was quietly worried about your team this year because I saw the Division coming down to week 17 between the Pats & Fins. I thought the addition of Boston wouldnt help Chambers as much as it helped Ricky. With teams no longer able to put 8 men in the box, I thought Ricky would be closer to 2002 production then 2003. I'm sorry, but Minor/Morris dont put that type of fear in defense's & will allow them to play off & take away any deep passing to Boston/Chambers. Ricky leaving not only hurts the running game, but is going to make things alot tougher for the passing game.

That being said, the loss of any 1 single player in a team sport is overrated. I'v seen alot of predictions of a 6-10 type season for the Fins & thats nonsense. That defense alone will keep you around the 8-8 mark & though you may not win 11-12 like I thought before this, 9 or so is still very possible.

Also, for Bills & Jets fans to gloat is just comical. Those 2 were gonna be luck to finish .500, so to think the Fins will finish last now, while they "push for the playoffs" is misguided to say the least.

As a Pats fan, ill be honest, I'm "happy" that things are going to be alittle easier for them this year & I'd be shocked if they didnt win the division again.

As a football fan, what Ricky did was a slap in the face & it pisses me off. I know alot of good Fin fans that deserve better then this & though i dont think your season is lost now, it certainly makes thing ALOT tougher.

Good luck guys & see you week 5, hopefully Pats will still be undefeated & we can have a fun battle to see if you can block the Pats from making history.

PatsWin2002 said:
Sure, you'd be better if Ricky stayed, but it's time for Wanny to go to "Plan B" as soon as he figures out what that is.

Let's not forget - your defense is good enough to keep you in every game.

It will also be interesting to see if anyone takes the Fins lightly early on and gets stomped because of it.

Personally, I hope the Pats never take the Fins lightly.
I appreciate your objectivity.

Back
Top Bottom