The way I see it, its Defense in the draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The way I see it, its Defense in the draft

exactly

for getting a third rounder, we would get Teddy Lehmann instead of DJ Williams/Vilma, Ahmad Carroll instead of DeAngelo Hall/Dunta Robinson, or Matthias Askew instead of Randy Starks.

If we go D, it would only be worth trading down if we are intent on getting a safety so we cud draft Matt Ware or Bob Sanders.

We've seen it before...you look at the holes on this team, and the glaring needs are OL and QB...in that order....QB is "tentatively" answered. OL has been addressed, but not completely yet. So logic tells you we will go OL....but there are some problems with that theory.

1) The OL class this draft is relatively weak....Gallery is head and shoulders above all others. Next level is Andrews...but after that is all for the first round. Smiley...I think he might be the steal of the draft, because someone will him in the 2nd round and he might turn out to be a day one starter. Carey is slightly better than the rest of the group (Grove, Snee, Locklear, Rogers, Dorsey, maybe a couple of others). So what do we do if Andrews is gone ?? Reach for Smiley, Carey, Grove ?? I can hear the b*tching now if that happens.

Do we trade down and possibly get a 2nd and 3rd rounder out of the #20 ? Sounds good, but also sounds to me like about 15 other teams are trying to do the same thing. At #20, I seriously doubt there will be a player left that someone covets so much that they would try to trade for. I love for that to happen...but I just don't think the quality is there in this draft after about #12.

Do we reach for a Rivers if available (although that seems to be looking less and less likely) ? After spending the cash and the 2nd round pick on AJ, they have to be pretty gunshy about taking a QB. Now, IF Rivers, Ben, or Eli are somehow at #20, that may be enough for RS to pull a Shula (ala 1983) and draft one of them, but that is only a remote possibility. I don't think any other QBs are worthy of reaching out with the #20 pick.

My point is that at #20, there are going to be some possible D players avialable....So do you take BPA...well that might be Dunta Robinson - CB. That is not even a remote need right now. None of the safeties that will be available are worth the 20 pick....maybe a DT or two will be available, which would accelerate our replacement of Timbo a year earlier than we would normally look at.

This could very well be a draft that 50% of us hate, because they take defense or it could be a draft where we trade down and get some 2nd tier players that can't help us this year or a draft where the other 50% hate because we reach up for a player that should not have been taken at #20....it's a tough spot to be in for RS. I'm glad I can sit here on Sunday evening (April 25ht) and say "RS, you're an idiot" or "RS, you are the second coming !" Either way, it'll be interesting.

If we go Defnese then we will hear some boos on draft day. We need Offense really badly we lacked offense for some time now and i think this is the year where we can expand the offense with depth through the draft

We need offensive line more than anything. With #20, I think we will either take the BPA or trade down and get an offensive linemen if none of the ones who are available are worth taking at #20.

I'm just curious to see how many offensive linemen some of you think this team will carry? I'm constantly seeing posts about how we have to use several picks on offensive linemen. Are we going to carry 12 linemen on the roster?

NO!

Once you get past the group that has Smiley, Carey, Rogers, and Grove, you are going to be getting linemen that will not play much in their first season. Basically, that is nothing different that what Miami had in Taylor Whitley last season.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
I'm just curious to see how many offensive linemen some of you think this team will carry? I'm constantly seeing posts about how we have to use several picks on offensive linemen. Are we going to carry 12 linemen on the roster?

Agreed. They pick up Randall, they've got a LOT of OL with some experience. At this point, assuming they sign Randall, I'd be surprised if they pick up an OL before day 2. DT or LB, if available, looks more likely, which is going to P.O. the "draft more OL" crowd.

If Andrews is gone at 20 I say get Smiley if he's the best lineman available.

Don't play trade down games... fix the Oline now!

Originally posted by Agua

Agreed. They pick up Randall, they've got a LOT of OL with some experience. At this point, assuming they sign Randall, I'd be surprised if they pick up an OL before day 2. DT or LB, if available, looks more likely, which is going to P.O. the "draft more OL" crowd.

I'd say that would be the plan, but I do not think they will pass on Andrews if he is available. Rick Spielman has stated that there are only two tackles in this draft that he thinks could come in and start right away. The consensus is that those tackles are Gallery and Andrews. I don't think he passes on Andrews if he is there.

I've heard that Darnell Dockett is a very strong possibility for Miami if they go with a defensive lineman at that point.

Back
Top Bottom