The West Coast Offense Versus Ball Control | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The West Coast Offense Versus Ball Control

Rookie
Club Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about us changing to a west coast offense and I was wondering what the change would be like. I found an interesting article about it and I thought I would share. I don't know who will be the key personal next year so I don't have a preference yet. Gives us something to talk about. thanks go fins

NFL Offenses: The West Coast Offense Versus Ball Control

May 17, 2010 Ian Johnson

Bill Walsh - en:User:Sjsualum
For new fans of the NFL who've often wondered what the difference was between the West Coast and Ball Control offenses, this should clarify the matter.

In the NFL, there are offenses that rely upon a strong run game, and there are offenses that rely upon a strong passing game. While both the run and pass game are both important in the NFL, the West Coast Offense uses the pass to set up the run. This is different from the ball control, or strong running game offenses, that use the run to set up the pass. Most attribute the West Coast offense to former San Francisco head coach, and three-time Super Bowl Champion, Bill Walsh. As for the ball control offenses, there really isn’t any one originator of the offense, as it’s been a mainstay of the NFL from its inception. However, which is best, and what’s the difference between the two?

Why Does the West Coast Offense Rely Upon the Pass?
Walsh’s offense was predicated on using a short to medium pass game to push defenses outside and away from the line of scrimmage. By using all of the offensive weapons of running backs, tight ends, and wide receivers in the pass game, the offense could force the defense’s linebackers and safeties away from the line of scrimmage, opening up the run game. Walsh scripted the first 15 plays on offense in every game in order to gauge the defensive mindset of the opposing team. Once the passing game became a dominant part of the game, Walsh would then use the run game to wear down the defense, and run the clock out.

How Does a Ball Control or Strong Run Game Offense Work?
In contrast to the West Coast Offense, is the ball control offense. Its premise is based on using a strong power run game to tire defensive players, control the line of scrimmage, and take time off the clock. The essence of having a strong run game in the NFL is that it brings in the opposing team’s defensive secondary up closer to the line of scrimmage where a play action pass can fool defenses into thinking the team will run, when in fact it ends up passing. A strong running offense can bring in the entire defense up closer to the line of scrimmage, where they are more geared towards stopping the run game, and not as well prepared against a sudden pass.

Which One is Better, The West Coast Offense or Ball Control?
As for one which is better, it really depends upon how well each team is able to run their appropriate offense. A team that has a solid power run game typically dominates the line of scrimmage, tires out the defense, and capitalizes on long pass plays to win the day. However, teams that run an effective West Coast offense are often able to keep the defense off balance, dictate the flow of the game, and ultimately build a big enough lead to run the ball in the fourth quarter. While there are variations to both offensive philosophies, neither one can claim ownership over the other. Both offenses are a mainstay of NFL teams and require certain players to make each offense work.

Over the years, the most successful teams have endorsed a balanced attack where they are capable of using both a strong run game, and an equally effective pass game. NFL Teams with a balanced attack, and players that can both run and pass the football, are often better able to adjust to the defensive set up of the opposing team. While neither offensive philosophy is better than the other, each requires certain key personnel to make each offense work.

http://www.suite101.com/content/nfl-offenses-the-west-coast-offense-versus-ball-control-a238161

Bill Walsh's words:

"The West Coast Offense is a ball control passing offense, with a fully dimensional running game."

Both the Eagles and the Packers version of the WCO featured a power run attack with Correll Buckhalter and Dorsey Levens respectively.

Back
Top Bottom