The Williams Effect.....And You | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Williams Effect.....And You

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
With Mike Williams' declaration for the NFL Draft today, I am absolutely convinced that the Dolphins WILL NOT be trading their 2004 first round pick. There's just too much talent and too many players available who can make an IMMEDIATE IMPACT on this team. And you can thank Mike Williams for cementing it.

While I LOVE Phillip Rivers, my ideal scenario would play out this way.......

1. Trade a 2005 pick to Houston for Drew Henson (2nd round and below).

2. Trade Wally Ogunleye for a mid-first round pick (yes we can trade him).

3. Select Vernon Carey and an IMPACT WR in the first round.

The way I see it, unless some veteran starter becomes available out of left field, Jay Fiedler will be our starter again in 2004. And regardless of who the starter is, our rookie QB will riding the pine at #3 this year behind Sage Rosenfels.

There is talk of Jeff Garcia and perhaps Marc Bluger. But for the moment that is irrelevant, because from where I'm standing......spending a #1 on a QB who hopefully will not have to play in 2004 isn't as attractive as spending a future #2 (or less) on QB who is expected to do the same......and spending the current #1 on a guy who is EXPECTED to have an impact in 2004.

As for Ogunleye, I think a Wally-for-Vernon trade (essentially that's what it would be) is a good deal for Miami. We lose a growing monster on one side of the ball, but gain another on the other. Plus, we are able to replace Ogunleye somewhat adequately with Jay Williams, David Bowens, and possibly Rob Burnett. Otis Grigsby is also in the mix.

As for the rest of the draft, I'd focus on getting hard workers on both sides of the ball and special teamers. IMO, you can never stop addressing any aspect of your team. In this league, things can change very quickly. You can get old in a season. Your strength can become a weakness. You can get hurt and never recover. And you never know when you're going to have to make a tough decision on a star player. Just look at New England. They still pick defense and make the tough decision (Milloy, Law).

So if we spend a draft pick on a defensive end or a DB, I'd have no qualms about it. Just as long as it's not done while sacrificing helping the offense get its head above water (i.e. in the first round).

So with this new development (Williams declaring), how have YOUR hopes and aspirations for this offseason (specifically the draft) changed?? What would YOU like to see happen??

I thought we were back to Ricky's head and if any of us were going to follow him and go bald. Then I read the post. Then I found out that it wasn't about Rickys head. That's what I think.

i could be wrong but i think, i read somewhere that rob burnett plans to retire, but i love the idea of getting those 2 guys in here and get henson, although i wouldn´t mind to get ramsey over here, but that would obviously kill your scenario muck or we get someone to give us a first rounder for greenwood :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the Henson idea.

Someone on Sporting News put it pretty well today by saying, "These guys are in the 99th percentile. You just don't get there and then layout 3 or 4 years and expect to make it back."

He then continued to rattle on that he knows athletes (and you do too) that after return from minor injury it takes them a couple of weeks to get back up to the level they were at and some don't ever reach that point for the rest of the season.

four years...........

Originally posted by ZOD
I don't like the Henson idea.

Someone on Sporting News put it pretty well today by saying, "These guys are in the 99th percentile. You just don't get there and then layout 3 or 4 years and expect to make it back."

He then continued to rattle on that he knows athletes (and you do too) that after return from minor injury it takes them a couple of weeks to get back up to the level they were at and some don't ever reach that point for the rest of the season.

four years...........

Agreed.
I'ts a huge risk.
It is the "best scenario" to fill all of our necessary roster improvements however.
As Muck pointed out by using a pick from next year on the potential QB of the future and tendering O-Gun we could bring in 2 studs for the offensive side of the ball. A 1st round WR and OL
in the same draft. It's intriguing.

I just hope that we only give up the 3rd rounder with provisions that the pick increases only with Henson starting which he hopefully won't need to.

I agree pretty much with everything Muck says except.....
suprise!...... keeping Fiedler.

I strongly feel it's time for this team to move on.
We need to make a gamble on another teams backup that has shown potential just like we did with Jay. Now that Brunell is gone it's time to start looking at Volek, Feeley, etc. and give them their shot at the big time.

I disagree somewhat. I agree with the Henson thing but, after that I say we re-sign Wally, draft a receiver like Reggie Williams or Michael Clayton in the first round, draft an offensive tackle like Carlos Joseph in the third round, and sign Adam Timmerman or Chris Villarrial through free agency. As for quarterback unfortunately, Fiedler may have to come back another year. However, I'm willing to look at someone like Garcia.

Originally posted by Muck

1. Trade a 2005 pick to Houston for Drew Henson (2nd round and below).

2. Trade Wally Ogunleye for a mid-first round pick (yes we can trade him).

3. Select Vernon Carey and an IMPACT WR in the first round.

Good plan Muck. I would attempt a backflip if things worked out like that. Nay...maybe just a high five.

The Williams effect will indeed help us get another notch up the ladder on a top receiver.

One thing I'd like to make clear......it really pains me to willingly pass on Rivers. He's probably my favorite player in the draft. Love watching him play. And I'd be overjoyed if he playing for this team.

But I'm starting to realize that there are other ways of getting better. Perhaps BETTER ways of getting better. And it would be foolish to disregard them simply because I'm enamored with a player.....because that's exactly what gets guys like Dave Wannstedt in trouble. They become enamored with a guy and they get tunnel vision.

I'm just glad that I'm not having to make these decisions.

Just a note:

Mel Kiper has Mike Williams rated #2 WR, behind Larry Fitzgerald and ahead of Roy Williams

This is true, after an injury it takes time for them to reach the same level of play. Thats because of the INJURY though, not the fact that they havnt been able to play in a couple weeks. They take all kinds of precautions etc and that also adds to why they dont play the best they can. Henson has been gone for 3-4 yrs...and from what ive seen of him if hes this good after a 3 yr long break then i cant wait to see how good he is once hes back into the groove. Even if he isnt playing half of how good he was 4 years ago, he would STILL be better than Fiedler!!!

Back
Top Bottom