The WR's... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The WR's...

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
I really like how our WR corps is starting to shape up, atleast talent/potential wise. These guys need to pull it together and be profound, consistent threats in a passing game that could be called anything but consistent last year.

Chris Chambers, like Wannstedt pointed out, needs to develop into that true number one receiver. This is the year. He had the year where he could just be the 3rd guy and use his natural ability. Last year, he struggled through a sophmore slump, double teams and obviously the injury to Fiedler, as well as his concussion. He has been healthy all off-season, he'll be there for all of the quaterback schools, and there are no more excuses. This guy is a legitimate 6-0 210 pound receiver with fantastic speed, a long stride, and great leaping/timing ability. His routes have definetly improved, and we all know he can make the sideline grab, and the catch in the back of the endzone. With that said, it's all about dedication and concentration from here. If he works hard at it, there is no reason why he shouldn't catch AT LEAST 75 passes for 1100 yards and 8 TD's. That is the minimum for him.

Derrius Thompson is a guy I know a lot of people are high on, including myself. He's another big receiver with strong hands, great leaping skills, and solid, but not spectacular speed. He can be really important to this offense because he has the size and power to go over the middle, as well as the ability to make the catch outside and down the field. He's had a lot of time in this league to learn, and he came into his own last year, especially down the stretch. This is an offense that fits his ability, and he's got to make an impact as the number 2 receiver. I want to see him grab 50 passes for 650 yards and 5 TD's at minimum. I really don't see why a younger, more athletic and more durable version of Orande Gadsden can't produce these numbers. He can be a legitimate weapon in this offense, and he has a little bit of a jump on the Turner system.

James McKnight came on very strong down the stretch last year, we all know that. Is he a number 2 receiver? I don't think so; we just can't rely on the guy to get open on the underneath and intermediate stuff, consistently. What he can be is an absolutely fabolous 3rd reciever who can stretch the field, and work the outside in the 3 WR sets, with CC or Thompson sliding into the slot and using their size and toughness. He needs to be an Alvin Harper type for us, which he did down the stretch last year. Not a starter, but if he focuses, again that's the big issue with a lot of these receivers, he can be dangerous in certain situations. Maybe 35 catches for 550 yards and 4 scores would be nice.

The 4th WR competition should be exciting. I love Tolver because of his size and hands, he's got excellent, polished possession skills and he has proven that he can be deceptive down the field. This isn't a kid that needs time to learn either; not much upside, his game is there, he just needs to excel it into the pro level. If he can't do that, well we know about Robert Baker's athleticism and desire. The NFL Europe experience is helping him a lot. Same goes for Kendall Newson who is a talented player. Sam Simmons has good slot skills, he's quick with good hands, and let's see if he can make some strides.

Because of the youth in this group, there are a lot of question marks. But there is also a lot of talent. We don't need Orande, we need THIS group to focus and play to their ability. Considering the pass catching TE's we have led by McMichael, and Ricky and Konrad coming out of the backfield, this passing game could be real solid if the potential is realized.

-Bo

Back
Top Bottom