There Is One Concern | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There Is One Concern

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I have spent the last couple weeks reading various articles from Miami area sports writers, as well as the posts on this web site and others, and I just want to give my opinion on what I percieve as "overreactions" in regards to a few players.

A.J. Feeley - This guy has been in the offense for a few weeks. Quarterback is the most intellectually challenging position in all of sports. Peyton Manning would have looked just as confused and rushed at times as the young signal caller from Philly looked in a new system. Growing pains are always part of the process. The competition should not be close at this point. Jay has been in the offense for four years. He has thrown to everyone except David Boston before these mini-camps. The fact that Fiedler did not dominate in any of the mini-camp goes a long ways towards showing why the Dolphins are in dire need of an upgrade.

Sage Rosenfels - I think it it unfair to blindly say this guy stinks. How would any of us know that? I realize the popular argument is that "If he was any good, the team would not have gotten Feeley", but this is a business, and sometimes teams do things that they feel may be more popular or less risk in order to fill the seats. This may have been what happened here. The guy has the best arm out there, and he knows the offense. Also, he looked pretty sharp in his relief appearance in Tennessee, regardless of the conditions. The kid has the talent to start in this league, but it will apparently take a change of scenery for him to show all of you doubters that. In fact, his skills and demeanor remind me of one Tom Brady. He just needs a chance, something the brass is unwilling to give him here.

Wade Smith - This is the most puzzling situation for me. He is going head to head against arguably the most physically gifted defensive end in the league. He is not allowed to hit J.T. in any manner. All he is allowed to do is mirror him. The fact that J.T. runs straigh upfield and gets to a quarterback who is holding the ball too long should not be surprising. In fact, J.T. should get to the quarterback nearly every play under those conditions. Wade Smith played amazingly well last year for a rookie at the position for his third year. He is special. Its not bad when the only guy who gives a rookie left tackle fits is Dwight Freeney. If you disagree that is your right, but try to put the situation in perspective before you jump to conclusions on Wade Smith.

A few side notes. I want to thank Dude for getting video on some of the Mini-Camp. For a person that has lived his entire life in Erie, Pa and then recently Boston, it is really a treat to get to see clips from practices I am not able to make.

Also, about the Pro Football Talk, the site is a joke. I understand that people argue that it is fun to talk about, but, I think it is a waste of time. Their sources are no more than figments of their imagination. But, if anyone still thinks there is credence in what they say, continue to report it to us and maybe one of the rumors will end up right. I suppose there is no harm in that.

Lastly, I said that there is one concern. Well, that concern is David Boston. His start with the Dolphins is all too familiar to his start with the Chargers. He is an amazing talent, no doubt about it, but one has to worry about the trend. Overall, I was a supporter of this draft. But, I question the descision to refrain from Wide Receiver for three reasons. Number one, nothing in David Boston's history tells you he will make it a whole year, and secondly, Chris will be a free agent, and although I feel him and Ricky have to come back regardless of the cost, there is that outside chance he may not be retained. Lastly, if, god forbid, Jay Fiedler is the quarterback, Chris or David or both will get hung out to dry multiple times this season which will lead to concussions.

But, all and all, after this first mini-camp, I must say I am pleased with the direction the Dolphins are heading.

All of Miami's concerns are on offense.

AJ Feeley, Offensive Line and Wide Receiver are the positions that need to get straightened out before the season starts or Miami will be in deep sh*t.

O-line being the most important, then Feeley, then WR.

Well RBAM, while generally U agree with you. Your point is somewhat obvious, since this was the area of the greatest change this offseason. At this point of the year, the team is shaking out it's rust and starting to get to know one another, especially the O, so far there propably will me 6 new starters on that unit. That's a lot of turnover, who would expect them to be clicking right now. We really can't address them until at least the 2nd week of TC..from here until then, they will be and should be getting to know each other and learning what to do on each play. That's a lot of mental play and not instinctive play. So they will be slow to come around. If our D is still a good D, this is probably the best situation for them to go against a top rated, hopefully, top rated D. This will mature them faster than going against a medicore D. So I look forward to their progress. If they have some success against our D in TC, they will have some confidence in going into the season. This will serve us well. So wait until the 2nd week of TC to make comments on the O if you have to access them. These Mini camps aren't structured, imo, to help evaluate them in no meaningful way.

Boston is getting knocks because he has a slight shin strain and had a possible rift with a coach? That doesn't mean he's a bust. That doesn't mean he hasn't changed. That doesn't mean we can draw any kind of conclusions because it's barely been 2 weeks. How do we know he was upset because of his injury that's preventing him from getting some work in and got into an argument with someone? One of the linemen got into a fight with one of the defensive line, does that mean he's a cancer with a bad attitude that should be dropped?

My point is it that is it way to early to make judgments on anyone. Arguments happen with competitors. Tempers flair in the hot sun when you are sweating and pushing and there's trash talking. Competitors get edgy when they don't get what they want or things don't go their way. We only get half the story and yet some here are quick to fill in their own blanks and come to their own conclusions based most circumstantial evidence that lacks fact.

Relax. Enjoy the awesome updates from Dude, read the articles from the papers and lets try to stay cool headed. Oh, and don't forget to seek shelter often because the sky seems to be falling every other day lately.

The Boston thing is getting entirely overblown, just as the whole issue over Adewale Ogunleye has been overblown. The rift between John Gamble and David Boston was shot to Hadies and back this morning when real Dolphins sources, not Mike Florio from PFT, stated that Gamble and Boston are very tight.

At some point, the Dolphins are simply going to cut off all media ties with the team if they keep putting out baseless and factless information like this. Of course, PFT doesn't have a tie with the team to begin with. The only reporter you can trust for Dolphins information seems to be Hank Goldberg.

KBISBACK said:
The only reporter you can trust for Dolphins information seems to be Hank Goldberg.

Mandich is usually spot on too when he tells you what the Phins are thinking. He throws out his own opinions (which are at least sound and based on a more encompassing universe of facts than a lot of QAM broadcasters) a lot, but when he tells you "there are some in the Dolphins organization ...", then listen up.

Back
Top Bottom