There’s A Misery Pro Sports Formula. Where Does The Dolphins Franchise Fall? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

There’s A Misery Pro Sports Formula. Where Does The Dolphins Franchise Fall?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
dolphins_line.jpg

ESPN ranked franchises from North America’s four major sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) with their misery sports formula.
The formula factors in championships, playoff berths, playoff wins, heartbreaks and rival comparison when determining the fan bases with the most misery.
As ESPN wrote, “the more [and more recently] you win championships, the less you have to complain about. However, if your most recent championship was 25-plus years ago, it’s almost as if you’ve never won at all.”

So where does that leave the Dolphins franchise?

The Dolphins are the only NFL team to finish the season unbeaten with a Super Bowl title and made the Super Bowl five times from 1970 to 1999. But lately? The rise of the New England Patriots’ dynasty this century hasn’t helped the Fins in the AFC East, and Miami hasn’t won a playoff game since 2000.

The full list can be found: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24367000/the-top-25-most-miserable-fan-bases-professional-sports

4 Florida based franchises in the top 20, I blame "Florida man" for making a mockery of this state. For those of you who were alive for those 2 SB's you're lucky, my fandom started in the early 2000's so I didn't even get to witness Marino.

It's weird but when I think back over the last 20 years, it wasn't losing the games so much that drives me crazy but the offseasons and personal decisions that torment me the most.

Like for the last 7 years I've had no hope we will get better because we had Tannehill. I disagreed with it from the moment he was chosen. Before that it was passing on Matt Ryan, then it was choosing Cullpepper over Bress..... its these things that give me the most misery.

Losing 10 games a year isnt nearly as surprising or painful when you know they dont have the talent on the roster. I guess I'm saying the ownership and front office hurts worse when looking back compared to losing games individually.

I used to be upset that Miami would only win 10-11 games missing out on top seeds, and only winning one playoff game a season back around the late 90s to early 00s lol making the playoffs was a given back then. Now I’d kill for that again lol

Last edited:
I used to be upset that Miami would only win 10-11 games missing out on top seeds, and only winning one playoff game a season back around the late 90s to early 00s lol making the playoffs was given back then. Now I’d kill for that again lol
I'm right there with ya. "It sucks we never get to 12 wins". "This season blows we're not gonna get a first round bye". Oh how times have changed.

4 Florida based franchises in the top 20, I blame "Florida man" for making a mockery of this state. For those of you who were alive for those 2 SB's you're lucky, my fandom started in the early 2000's so I didn't even get to witness Marino.

I got to see the end of Marino's career, but for as long as I've been a fan Miami has not been a dominant team in the league. I've held to the belief that it has to change eventually, but now I'm not confident in that anymore. It might be another 10+ years with the ownership this team has.

Don't feel bad if you decide to jump off this bandwagon. There are better things to think about than the Miami Dolphins. :)

I was alive, and that was many moons ago.......

As a Flyers fan, their fans are not being given credit for enough misery. What’s more depressing is that I’ve followed the Fins as long as I can remember, and I’ve followed four sports since 1980.

I can remember three championships in my entire life. Phillies in 1980 and 2008, and Sixers in 1983.

That’s one championship from 1984-2018. One in a combined 140 seasons of fandom.

Wait, what time is it acceptable to start drinking?

And last on the list? You guessed it NE at -51.4 on the index....

To me...That automatically makes Miami and the rest of the AFCE teams 1,2 & 3 on the list of "Most miserable" teams. Everybody else can just get in line from there...Nothing worse than being in the division with the best.

dolphins_line.jpg

ESPN ranked franchises from North America’s four major sports leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) with their misery sports formula.
The formula factors in championships, playoff berths, playoff wins, heartbreaks and rival comparison when determining the fan bases with the most misery.
As ESPN wrote, “the more [and more recently] you win championships, the less you have to complain about. However, if your most recent championship was 25-plus years ago, it’s almost as if you’ve never won at all.”

So where does that leave the Dolphins franchise?

The Dolphins are the only NFL team to finish the season unbeaten with a Super Bowl title and made the Super Bowl five times from 1970 to 1999. But lately? The rise of the New England Patriots’ dynasty this century hasn’t helped the Fins in the AFC East, and Miami hasn’t won a playoff game since 2000.

The full list can be found: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24367000/the-top-25-most-miserable-fan-bases-professional-sports

MIami is only football team go unbeaten and untied...Miami even with being very average for a decade and a half is still since the NFL merger one of the Winningest teams in the NfL...Miami has in the history arguably the Greatest HC, QB, Center, FB to play the game. Anyone that as a franchise does not put them close to the top is either ignorant, hateful, or confused.

Back
Top Bottom