These rumors are killing me! (Edwards to the 49ers) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

These rumors are killing me! (Edwards to the 49ers)

49ersFan said:
Apr. 22 - The Edwards and Alex Smith camps are getting the feeling that Edwards will now go No. 1, and not Smith, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. All week, it's been Smith with the lead. No one knows for sure because 49ers coach Mike Nolan isn't saying. Edwards hasn't been offered a contract he can accept, but both sides know the parameters of a deal are in place in case Edwards is the pick. Even though Smith seems to be the preferred choice, it's not out of the question to have Edwards as the best player in the draft. The Dolphins have him No. 1 on their board.

Apr. 22 - Talks between the 49ers and Smith are all but dead, according to John Clayton. They've been going over the numbers and contract language for more than a week, and both sides know they can't reach a deal before the draft. Tom Condon, Smith's agent, said there will be no pre-draft day deal. The 49ers don't want to pay more than Eli Manning contract of a year ago. Condon wants the usual increase that goes with being the top pick.
The Bucs are still sitting in the weeds hoping to get Smith in a trade up at No. 2, and Smith believes he could end up in Tampa. The Bucs are willing to offer a third-round pick to move up now, but they may have to go with a second-rounder.
Mike Nolan is a Boy among Men when it comes to running a team on the buisness side of the ball. He is trying hard to accomplish in one week what saban has been working on for months. He isn't fooling anybody and it is realy sad for 49er fans.:grouplaug

Has anyone noticed? The 49ers are talking Rodgers all the way through, then:

Miami shows interest in Smith, as well as trading down ... all of a sudden the 9ers show interest in Smith as their guy.

Then, Miami shows interest in Edwards ... now, the 9ers show interest in Edwards.

Nolan doesn't know how to work the draft so he is piggy backing off of Saban and it is only his advantage in having the higher pick that he can do this.

They are simply copy cats and can't handle the interest folks have shown in us. They may get their trade down, but they haven't shown the perceptiveness that Saban has.

I suspect if any deals are to be made by us they will have been largely worked through by the time the draft comes around. Then, depending on what SF does, we will either take our guy or talk to the team interested in him.

fishypete said:
Actually the best thing Nolan can do is select Smith...and either force his hand...or trade him.

Yeah, that would be brilliant all right. Take the QB you don't want and risk getting stuck with him or losing him for NOTHING when he sits and re-enters the draft next year rather than playing for your sorry team.

Jimmy James said:
Yeah, that would be brilliant all right. Take the QB you don't want and risk getting stuck with him or losing him for NOTHING when he sits and re-enters the draft next year rather than playing for your sorry team.

Jimmy...did the Chargers need Rivers? Stop and think....the worst that can happen is they trade him...end up with more picks...and still end up with USC QB next draft...or selecting Smith could force his hand and he signs...they can't lose. Do you really think that Smith or his agent would rather hold out for a year...and still may be drafted again by the same team...it could happen.

fishypete said:
Jimmy...did the Chargers need Rivers? Stop and think....the worst that can happen is they trade him...end up with more picks...and still end up with USC QB next draft...or selecting Smith could force his hand and he signs...they can't lose. Do you really think that Smith or his agent would rather hold out for a year...and still may be drafted again by the same team...it could happen.

The fact that the desperation and stupidity of the Chargers paid off due to the greater desperation and stupidity of the Giants does not mean the Niners should count on a similarly desperate team this year. I think Smith very well may feel he'd be better off holding out a year, entering the draft again, and going to a different team (you CANNOT be taken by the same team if they choose you and can't sign you).

Jimmy James said:
The fact that the desperation and stupidity of the Chargers paid off due to the greater desperation and stupidity of the Giants does not mean the Niners should count on a similarly desperate team this year. I think Smith very well may feel he'd be better off holding out a year, entering the draft again, and going to a different team (you CANNOT be taken by the same team if they choose you and can't sign you).

You can't? Show me that rule....I'll bet he can be signed by ANY team if he starts fresh in the next draft.

I think it's BEAUTIFUL.

In all the 9er screw ups...all they've done is help US. Now no one wants to trade with the 9ers, and the 9ers can only take one of the three. Two have serious trade value, which leaves us with a player someone will over pay for in Smith or Edwards!

I love it. If the 9ers take Smith...let the bids begin for Edwards. If they take Edwards let the bids begin for Smith. IF they're stupid enough to take Rodgers...GREAT...then let everyone bid with us for Smith OR Edwards.

It's A WIN WIN FOR US ANY WAY THEY SLICE IT!!!

God I love how Saban has worked this.

Drfletcherdc said:
I think Wany is running the show behind the scenes for the niners.

:roflmao:

Seriously, I think Nolan likes Smith, Rodgers, Edwards, and Rolle, maybe just not enough to take one at #1 (although in the end I think it'll be Alex).

49ers are just posturing to get a team to bite for a trade. They will end up drafting Rodgers to run their West Coast Offense.

Whatever happens I think the Fins are in the best position...I think they will have several scenarios based on what the 49ers do and I see a trade down one way or the other.

I also agree with others that Nolan only started blowing smoke when Saban said he wanted Smith.

How long to the draft? I can't wait.....nice to have all this excitement after that year of torture!

The 9ers just had some bad luck, in a year when having the #2 was better then having the # 1 . The Fins could draft either Smith or Edwards and be stuck with one or the other and still be in go shape. The 9ers had only one way to go in this from the door and that was Rogers. The fact that everyone knew it from the door was just bad luck in my opinion.

fishypete said:
You can't? Show me that rule....I'll bet he can be signed by ANY team if he starts fresh in the next draft.

You get me the rulebook, and I'll show you the rule. :)

Jimmy James said:
You get me the rulebook, and I'll show you the rule. :)

How about we just hope the best happens this weekend and leave it at that..no matter what happens...we are looking good. :)

I think we're fundamentally at odds over what we would consider the best, but I'm cool with that in the abstract.

Again, I hate to sound like I'm coming to the rescue to defend my team, but I can specifically point to articles that have indicated Smith and Edwards among others, were players the 49ers were considering at #1 long before the hype machine started.

Much to everyone's dismay, I don't agree with the "he's copying Saban" theory you all are trying to portray.

Back
Top Bottom