thing that bothers me about the UM fight | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

thing that bothers me about the UM fight

John Biello said:
there is no arguement, why does it have to be an argument its just an observation...
OFF POINT, but Dury is going to carry the cup again this year for the BUFFALO SABRES!!!!!

DonShula84 said:
It isnt like all the people in baseball fights were white so they're getting a pass because of race, so what's the point exactly?

That's a good observation as well.
I don't recall only black baseball players being singled out as "thugs" while hispanic and white baseball players are given passes.

Mike O hit the nail on the head with his comments on the frequency of these baseball fights and the degree of violence in them. Neither compare with what you see in other sports.

The real point here is that certain people will and take any opportunity that can be twisted into a racial discrimination issue and run with it, while completely ignoring the degree of actions in a situation that caused the scrutiny.

Mindwarp said:
now im a noles fan as most people know, so I am not a "canes homer" but I do have to defend UM.

why did it get all that press and have all the kids called "thugs" It wasn't the only fight this week on the football feild.

I bet most of you didn't even relize that there was 2 IVY LEAGUE schools fighting. yup Dartmouth and Holy Cross hade a melee on the field also.. but oh wait, you say might say "Mindwarp, there is no video of it" to which I answer. Check youtube and you find anything http://youtube.com/watch?v=aikzTT-uPLg

there is even a article about it on espn.com but you have to dig for it.. yeah it wasn't headline news like the UM one. it really bothers me because the way EVERYONE has gone out of there way to call the kids "thugs"WTF for? for fighting? you know how much adrenaline they have running through there systems. They saw one of there one get cheap shoted.

I agree some of the players went beyond what they should have (reddick, merriweather) but in the heat of the fight, you do what you do.Most of these kids come from tough neigborhoods, were you need to fight to survice, I know I grew up in carol city along side some of them.

Why did UM get so much negative pub? yes I understand what it was but **** I saw it still LAST NIGHT on sportscenter. WEDNESDAY NIGHT. I never even heard about these Ivy league schools throwing down. To me it would have been more "news" to know these "rich boy school" accutally have some fights also.

bleh.. I guess the whole "thug" thing got to me. To me it seams like they want to play a race thing without getting introuble.. its like they want to say, its cause they are black. were are the Thugs in baseball melee's?

I know we are past this but I just wanted to vent cause I came across that IVY LEAGUE store now.

To start, I knew about the Dartmouth/Holy Cross fight (I have a friend who plays for Dartmouth), but to be fair, it was nowhere NEAR the FIU/UM fight. Even the ESPN article states it lasted "less than 3 minutes". The FIU/UM fight wasn't a sports fight, it was a street fight. It had all the makings of a "gang war".

Now, I will say that I am not a fan of the Florida schools (check my sig for my team :wink:), but I also don'thave a problem with them. I was always indefferent towards them. However, Miami asks for it. If this were a one-time thing, then yes, all of this negative pres smight not be so justified, but the fact is, it's a regular occurance for "The U". Most of the time THEY start it (see; stomping on the midfield logo before a game). The majority of the player take PRIDE in their "Thug U" personas, regardless of what they may say to the media. Just look at their track record. First off, stomping on the midfield logo was OBVIOUSLY disrespectful to their opponents, and if anyone had done that in Miami, you KNOW the 'Canes would have run out there and fought, yet they act like they are all innocent when Louisville comes out and a fight starts, they act like they were just attacked for no reason :rolleyes2

Like you said, the helmet smash and the gang stomping were above and beyond a normal fight, but to take it beyond that, it's the THIRD brawl Miami has been in this season (and lets not forget the "tunnel brawl" last season), and that's just ON the field. Look at the players off the field. Both current and former. Arrested for anything (and everything) from drugs to suspicion of MURDER. How about the "violent" rap song about rape and all of that stuff? Just look at the way players from UM act, both in college and then in the NFL. The former "U" players in the NFL carry on that "thug" persona. And they ENJOY it, take PRIDE in it (just look at the announcer that was saying all that stuff about them having a "reputation to uphold" and suggesting they "take it into the parking lot after the game"). Now I know players from other school carry the "thug" persona into the NFL, but Miami definately produces the majority of them. They dress in huge clothes and tons of "bling" (or whatever the new word for it is) and have the gold teeth and all of that stuff. It's all fine outside of the league, but when you are a professional athlete you are held to a certain standard, and that standard isn't being "thugged out" when a suit would be appropriate, or losing the "I'm going to Disneyland" spot because you are suspected of murdering TWO people, etc etc. The biggest thing is, none of them show remorse for ANY of it. Not the rap song, not the fights, not the arrests, it's almost like a badge of honor for them.

My point is, I can't feel sorry for Maimi, or even think they are being treated unfairly, because they seem to ASK for it, like they thrive on it, like they have a reputation they WANT to uphold. To me personally, I think Miami is COMPLETELY deserving of all the bashing they are getting. They are held to a higher standard because they are under the national spotlight. Dartmouth/Holy Cross will certainly not get the same attention a football powerhouse like Miami. Although I'm sure if helmets were used as weapons or 8 players surrounded one downed player and stomped him repeatedly, it WOULD have gotten more attention. I think one of the most ridiculous aspects of the sitation is Miami crying that they are getting unfair treatment by the media, yet they don't acknowledge the fact that, out of all of the players who took it above and beyond a sports fight, only ONE player got more than a one-game suspension. FIU, a small, no-name school, kicked TWO players OFF THE TEAM and suspended the other 16 indefinately, and I didn't see a single FIU player do anything more than throw some kicks or punches. They certainly didn't use helmets as weapons or gang-stomp a downed player. Yet Miami did, and the most severe punishment ha sben ONE player being suspended indefinately and the rest got ONE game, and a meaningless game that they aren't needed in at that :rolleyes2

Neither fight should be condoned. Unfortunately for UM, ESPN's cameras caught it all. They have this reputation for being unclassy, egotistical players and when they are involved in a bench clearing brawl everyone is going to point fingers. While the IVY League fight wasn't quite as bad, it was still wrong. I understand that emotinons run high when in a competive contest, but it i a disgrace when football turns into a fight. Dartmouth, Holy Cross, UM, and FIU should be ashamed. Also, I felt that one game suspensins for most players was quite laughable. So they miss one game, who care? At least about 3 players from both FIU and UM should never be allowed to play again. If you go to the levels of fighting that they did, then your career should be over. If they really cared about football then why fight, on the field, during the game?

305TillIDie said:
exactly..that is my whole point..if someone calls a sport thugs..call everyone else thugs...fights happen in sports..no one has to single out a race or a player or sport...
I think because most of those guys do it once, and they hardly ever have actual fights, mostly just pushing and idle threats.

For those of you saying that no team is going to sit and watch their teammates get thrown around like rag dolls, my sophmore year, we were playing Danville in a scrimmage game, and they clothslined our qb after he had ran out of bounds. This was also after our coach told us that they called him and asked if they could stop and eat dinner first on the way there. And no body did anything about it. That's proably part of the reason we were 0-8 that year.:nono:

This really plays into more than just the fight...
it's a history of behavior, the representation of the program in the recent past, the swagger mentality, and how many canes fans (not all) condone and support this mentality.
As Herbstreit put it, many fans also support the behavior of the fights and feel this is a sense of the team's identity that signals toughness, etc.

I hope the Canes are able to bounce back. I've always disliked the team, but I pull for any tradition-filled team to keep its head above water and compete. That said, the program deserves its setbacks and maybe something (God, I hope so) can be gained from this.

As this relates to the Dartmouth fight, notice the booing from the stands, a mentality that saw the actions of poor taste. Combine that with laughs from the stands and the actions appear silly to the fans. This far outweighs the few initial claps in the video. My point is that this is all a culture issue. Sure, even an Ivy League school can have a fight at its football game, but it was at a different level and as a TEAM, it disseminated and players listened to coaches.

Just my thoughts on a near-dead issue.

Back
Top Bottom