This "Core Defense." | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This "Core Defense."

Sal Lisitano

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Some FinFans on this board want the Fins to stick with the Core D and I never said that we should have an overhaul on the D-side but this D is to blame for the Fins Dec. Swoons as much as the O...I just stated that some changes are needed on the D-side also...and that Surtain, Taylor, and O-Gun are the untouchables on D!!! And we better re-sign O-Gun.

The D was a big reason for our two losses at the end of the season last year...and they played horrible vs. the Eagles.

The D is where the moneys at and they can't come through when it counts the most...and that's my opinion.

We all talk about our D being so great...its looks great in the begining of the season...into november but for some reason they play horrible in December...in a previous post...I said that the D played good in New England but not good enough...that they did not come up with a big play...and someone replied saying well do you want the D to stop the O and score points...you know what yes sometimes they need to...the Pats D scored 9 points...the Bucs D and Ravens D scored points during their Superbowl run...our D is solid but not as great as everyone thinks and they don't come through when it counts the most.

Re: This "Core Defense."

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
Some FinFans on this board want the Fins to stick with the Core D and I never said that we should have an overhaul on the D-side but this D is to blame for the Fins Dec. Swoons as much as the O...I just stated that some changes are needed on the D-side also...and that Surtain, Taylor, and O-Gun are the untouchables on D!!! And we better re-sign O-Gun.

The D was a big reason for our two losses at the end of the season last year...and they played horrible vs. the Eagles.

The D is where the moneys at and they can't come through when it counts the most...and that's my opinion.

We all talk about our D being so great...its looks great in the begining of the season...into november but for some reason they play horrible in December...in a previous post...I said that the D played good in New England but not good enough...that they did not come up with a big play...and someone replied saying well do you want the D to stop the O and score points...you know what yes sometimes they need to...the Pats D scored 9 points...the Bucs D and Ravens D scored points during their Superbowl run...our D is solid but not as great as everyone thinks and they don't come through when it counts the most.

I agree, people don't seem to realize when they want to blame just the O that if you look how the money is divided up the D SHOULD be expected to be there every week regardless, with the amount of money allocated to the Offense there is no way they should be expected to carry this team.

So all things being equal the main question is:

Which portion came closer to playing to their level of their salaries?

if there were no cap implication, I would drop lots of players on D if it meant vastly improving our O; however, reality is, it will be tough to get rid of most of the key overpaid players on our D - particularly Madison. I only see Marion as sure thing to be gone next year

This defense is fast, but small. After a while the hard hitting will ware more on a smaller man. Not to mention the season long heat that these players practice and play in.

It's not hard to look back and see that a lot of the December & Playoff loses Miami was shelled.

These battered souls will be mine soon.:evil:

The bad thing is...I don't have an idea of what changes they need to make on D...getting faster and younger makes sense to me. But who could we afford to lose???

I really hope they resign O-Gun...I think he is the future and answer at the DE position for the Fins. Pat Surtain is awesome...Taylor and Thomas...these guys are good...Sam Madison has played well this year...some of you may disagree on this Sam but I think we have the best cornerback combo in the NFL. Bowens...Chester...Seau...Greenwood all good players...Knight....Marion...we have good players but I would not know where to begin though.

Maybe we need faster safeties....that could be a start...but what is sad is that this D cannot win big games and...the offense came closer to playing to their level of salaries.

Any ideas on what needs to change on D???

I'm hoping that by getting rid of Wanny...maybe this D and O will have a different mentality and a killer instinct and attitude change and maybe that alone would be enough for this D and O to put it all together when it counts the most.

I would like to see a faster, better coverage FS (no longer sure freeman is the answer). If we keep everyone else and get a DC that is worth something, we can be good enough. The problem is the that the O w/not be good enough w/o some cap help from the D. That will be the dilemna in 2004; and it will put lots of pressure of the FO to make a Dan Marino-like selection w/our #1

I wouldn't say gutting the team is the answer

Because as was pointed out, the cap ramifications, however, you got to look at what NE has done with some of their core defensive players and the returns they got for trading them away or flat out releasing them.

Marion should go, no question.
A restructuring and trade of Madison should be explored or a simple post june first cut. A stud line backer should be drafted to push ZT and ultimately take over the reigns. The defensive line is fine, however, I wouldn't be mad if Ogun was let go for a first round pick. We do have D Bowens, and the problem with our defense is they're old and get worn out at the end of the year, so even though we let a young guy walk, we pick up a first round pick and start a youth movement. Tim Bowens should stay cause he's the real soul of our defense.

Back
Top Bottom