This is a Must-Read Article About Wannstedt | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is a Must-Read Article About Wannstedt

I have a comment to make about one point in the article.

"I remind you that just last offseason, San Francisco fired a head coach with more playoff success than Wannstedt."

And look where San Francisco is now. I have little doubt that the Niners would be leading their division right now if Mooch were still there. Dennis Erickson, plain and simple, is a college coach, not a pro coach. However, there is also little doubt in my mind that Mooch is a superior coach to Wannstedt. He rebuilt the Niners fairly quickly, going from a second round play-off game in 1998 to 4-12 in 1999 to a very competitive 6-10 in 2000 and up to 12-4 and play-offs in 2001 and 10-6, division title and second round of play-offs in 2002. Mooch will have the Lions as play-off contenders in the next year or two. San Francisco made a big mistake in getting rid of him.

And no, I don't think it will be a big mistake when Wanny is let go. I wasn't drawing a parallel to the SF situation, just giving my take on Mooch. Personally, I was hoping Mooch would sit out a year and then have Miami make a run at him in 2004, but it was not to be.

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I have a comment to make about one point in the article.

"I remind you that just last offseason, San Francisco fired a head coach with more playoff success than Wannstedt."

And look where San Francisco is now. I have little doubt that the Niners would be leading their division right now if Mooch were still there. Dennis Erickson, plain and simple, is a college coach, not a pro coach. However, there is also little doubt in my mind that Mooch is a superior coach to Wannstedt. He rebuilt the Niners fairly quickly, going from a second round play-off game in 1998 to 4-12 in 1999 to a very competitive 6-10 in 2000 and up to 12-4 and play-offs in 2001 and 10-6, division title and second round of play-offs in 2002. Mooch will have the Lions as play-off contenders in the next year or two. San Francisco made a big mistake in getting rid of him.

And no, I don't think it will be a big mistake when Wanny is let go. I wasn't drawing a parallel to the SF situation, just giving my take on Mooch. Personally, I was hoping Mooch would sit out a year and then have Miami make a run at him in 2004, but it was not to be.

You totally missed the point. The point was NOT to suggest that Steve Mariucci should have been fired. The exact opposite. The point was to show that a coach with more success than Wannstedt WAS indeed fired to achieve greater success (whether or not it happened). I agree Mooch is a better coach that Wann anyday, and that Erickson is not a good pro coach. But its a good point by the writer because he defies those people who say "Wannstedt is a good coach, just look at his record" That shouldn't be an excuse not to fire him.

Anyways, the writer of the article makes a ton of other great points. Dan is sometimes very critical of Miami pro teams, but he is the most nationally renowned sports writer for the Miami area. He appears on ESPN very frequently on 'The Sports Reporters' and 'Sportscenter'.

Originally posted by Dolfan02
...You totally missed the point. The point was NOT to suggest that Steve Mariucci should have been fired. The exact opposite. The point was to show that a coach with more success than Wannstedt WAS indeed fired to achieve greater success (whether or not it happened)...

LOL! So your point is that it is OK to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Yeeee Haaaaa!

I don't think that I'll will read such a "great article".

Originally posted by PhinstiGator

LOL! So your point is that it is OK to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Yeeee Haaaaa!

I don't think that I'll will read such a "great article".

So YOUR point is its OK to stick with Wannstedt at the end of the season??

I don't think so. You're alone on that one. Its funny how some people will just quote a piece of your previous post and then write irrelevant crap about it. Why don't you read the article before you respond to a PIECE of the discussion and sound like a 2 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:

So YOUR point is its OK to stick with Wannstedt at the end of the season??

I don't think so. You're alone on that one.

No sir. I will deal with that at the end of the season. But, right now...we are in the midst of the battle. I'll let others give up before the season is over. Not me...this team is bigger than Dave Wannstedt...but you can keep pretending otherwise.

If decisions are to be made that change the direction of the team for the next 5 years, they must be deliberate and intelligent. Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire makes great drama and emotion...but it is short-lived.

No sir. I will deal with that at the end of the season. But, right now...we are in the midst of the battle. I'll let others give up before the season is over. Not me...this team is bigger than Dave Wannstedt...but you can keep pretending otherwise.

If decisions are to be made that change the direction of the team for the next 5 years, they must be deliberate and intelligent. Jumping out of the frying pan into the fire makes great drama and emotion...but it is short-lived.

First of all, I never said I was giving up. Thats the problem that people like you have. I say "changes need to be made, Wannstedt is the main problem" You translate it as: "I'm giving up, lets all jump in the fire". Don't speak for me but speak for yourself.

Let me ask you a very simple question. And please do not be neutral about it because thats easy, anyone can do that. Obviously this team has some flaws, correct?

Question: Who or what do you think the main problem is on this team? (Please only one answer)

The head coach

ya...i see people on this board getting pissed because i like others think that wanny is the problem and is a poor coach. of course i'm not giving up i want this team to be successful and win it all but it ain't gonna happen with wanny. i just don't see it. this is kind of a reoccurrence of last seasons fall. at 9-5 we controlled our own destiny and we flopped...this year it looks like the flop is begginning much earlier.

i hope i'm wrong and this fins win it all and wanny is hc of the year but nothing shows me that this year will be any different and actually the fins are getting worse not better.

GO FINS!!!

You totally missed the point. The point was NOT to suggest that Steve Mariucci should have been fired. The exact opposite. The point was to show that a coach with more success than Wannstedt WAS indeed fired to achieve greater success (whether or not it happened). I agree Mooch is a better coach that Wann anyday, and that Erickson is not a good pro coach. But its a good point by the writer because he defies those people who say "Wannstedt is a good coach, just look at his record" That shouldn't be an excuse not to fire him.

I probably shouldn't even have posted that comment, since it really didn't have anything to do with the Dolphins, just Mooch. What I should have said was that I didn't agree with the firing of Mooch because, although he was canned for "better success", I think he had the team headed in the right direction. They were getting better every year (okay, not record-wise from 2001 to 2002, but they won the division and won a play-off game). I think Mooch should have been given another year at least to see if the team could keep progressing. However, as it has been stated many times over, Wanny's teams are regressing every year. So in this case, replacing for better success is a good idea.

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
this is kind of a reoccurrence of last seasons fall. at 9-5 we controlled our own destiny and we flopped...this year it looks like the flop is begginning much earlier.

Keep in mind, last year's team was 5-1, then had a mid-season flop, losing 3 in a row (I know, I know, Lucas, but still) to be 5-4 as this same point. The team came back to win 4 of 5 before the flop at the end.

First of all, I never said I was giving up. Thats the problem that people like you have. I say "changes need to be made, Wannstedt is the main problem" You translate it as: "I'm giving up, lets all jump in the fire". Don't speak for me but speak for yourself.

I never said "YOU" were giving up. I said that "I" was NOT.

Let me ask you a very simple question. And please do not be neutral about it because thats easy, anyone can do that. Obviously this team has some flaws, correct?

Yes, as does every other NFL team.

Question: Who or what do you think the main problem is on this team? (Please only one answer)

I wish it was that simple. The main problem is that there is no main problem. The combination of injuries, turnovers, and poor execution at game time have made it difficult to walk away with a win the last two weeks.

I wish it was that simple. The main problem is that there is no main problem. The combination of injuries, turnovers, and poor execution at game time have made it difficult to walk away with a win the last two weeks.[/b] [/B]

Again. I understand we have more than 1 problem. But let me ask the same question and hopefully you'll give me one answer this time. Who or what do you think is the MOST important problem with our team that needs to be addressed foremost?

ps. I don't think you want to answer injuries because Kansas City had 5 defensive players hampered by injuries in their last game. And 13 overall players including 7 starters with the injury bug prior to last week. BTW, they're still undefeated. NE is suffering way more injuries than us. BTW, their atop of our division by 2 games.

I have not seen this article posted yet here, if it has my bad. Dan Le Batard talks about Wannstedt's creation (our team), his gone-wrong ideas, and comparisons to other teams that are less talented but more successful. Great article.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/7224964.htm

Le Betard is the best sports writer on the Herald IMO. He always gives it to you straight and he has that good, sarcastic sense of humor. That article is right on point. Great read.

Again. I understand we have more than 1 problem. But let me ask the same question and hopefully you'll give me one answer this time. Who or what do you think is the MOST important problem with our team that needs to be addressed foremost?

I don't know. I could guess. And I might be right or feel that I am right. But, seriously now...without actually being there and watching all the game tape and knowing the ability of the players and watching the gameplanning and coaching...it would be an uneducated guess.

ps. I don't think you want to answer injuries because Kansas City had 5 defensive players hampered by injuries in their last game. And 13 overall players including 7 starters with the injury bug prior to last week. BTW, they're still undefeated. NE is suffering way more injuries than us. BTW, their atop of our division by 2 games.

If you take away KC's strength through injuries...they start losing games.

Now, let me ask you a couple questions. If we fire Dave Wannstedt tomorrow will our team be better or worse.? How do you know? What specific ways is this head coach not doing a good job? How do you know?

Back
Top Bottom