This is a Must-Read Article About Wannstedt | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is a Must-Read Article About Wannstedt

Originally posted by DolphinzD
I have a comment to make about one point in the article.

"I remind you that just last offseason, San Francisco fired a head coach with more playoff success than Wannstedt."

And look where San Francisco is now. I have little doubt that the Niners would be leading their division right now if Mooch were still there. Dennis Erickson, plain and simple, is a college coach, not a pro coach. However, there is also little doubt in my mind that Mooch is a superior coach to Wannstedt. He rebuilt the Niners fairly quickly, going from a second round play-off game in 1998 to 4-12 in 1999 to a very competitive 6-10 in 2000 and up to 12-4 and play-offs in 2001 and 10-6, division title and second round of play-offs in 2002. Mooch will have the Lions as play-off contenders in the next year or two. San Francisco made a big mistake in getting rid of him.

And no, I don't think it will be a big mistake when Wanny is let go. I wasn't drawing a parallel to the SF situation, just giving my take on Mooch. Personally, I was hoping Mooch would sit out a year and then have Miami make a run at him in 2004, but it was not to be.

WOW!!! That is funny!! MORE playoff sucess than WANNY??? That's just about any coach in the NFL that's ever been to the playoffs!!! :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
I don't know. I could guess. And I might be right or feel that I am right. But, seriously now...without actually being there and watching all the game tape and knowing the ability of the players and watching the gameplanning and coaching...it would be an uneducated guess.

So you don't have an answer. You already know my answer, for I do not believe it is an 'uneducated guess' for the fact that I extensively analyze my beloved Dolphins, for the fact that I've been watching not only the Dolphins but the NFL for many years and know what the product should be on the field, and what factors control the product. Yes, I do not stand on the sidelines, nor attend their practices, nor speak to the coaches personally. But I also do not speak to Honda Motors executives, nor do I visit the assembly line, nor do I know their finances. BUT, I do analyze Honda's product, I research the quality, its engine system, its components, and I feel I can extensively defend my decision to buy a Honda over other cars. Catch my drift? The point is: if you're a true fan that follows the team, your guess to what the problem is should be easy and not considered 'uneducated'.

If you take away KC's strength through injuries...they start losing games.

KC has suffered several injuries including Trent Green and Priest Holmes who were listed as questionalbe prior to last week who reported problems just like our guys. But lets not assume anything and lets talk about what IS happening right now.

Now, let me ask you a couple questions. If we fire Dave Wannstedt tomorrow will our team be better or worse.? How do you know? What specific ways is this head coach not doing a good job? How do you know

Again, if you would have read the article (Please, please read the article) you would have seen that Dan said the same exact thing. Football is a sport in which you CANNOT and should not replace the head coach in the middle of the season unlike the other 3 major pro sports, which ironically has happened to Miami's 3 other teams this year. I will not reiterate what Dan explains in his article, read it and discover for yourself how Wannstedt has built a team for 4 years now on his motto 'Defense wins championships', but yet our team is nowhere near champions-style with decisions he has made. Read the article!

Reminder: I have not given up on my team, I'll support the Fins to the end, but when the season ends... I know what the main problem is.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

So you don't have an answer. You already know my answer, for I do not believe it is an 'uneducated guess' for the fact that I extensively analyze my beloved Dolphins, for the fact that I've been watching not only the Dolphins but the NFL for many years and know what the product should be on the field, and what factors control the product. Yes, I do not stand on the sidelines, nor attend their practices, nor speak to the coaches personally. But I also do not speak to Honda Motors executives, nor do I visit the assembly line, nor do I know their finances. BUT, I do analyze Honda's product, I research the quality, its engine system, its components, and I feel I can extensively defend my decision to buy a Honda over other cars. Catch my drift? The point is: if you're a true fan that follows the team, your guess to what the problem is should be easy and not considered 'uneducated'.

I believe that is a false comparison. Automobile engineering and production does not have the same predictable failure rate as a competitive NFL football team.

Example #1: Jon Gruden and the Tampa Bay Bucs.

I know this Dolphin team as much as anyone from the outside. But, I don't know a single specific reason why they are not executing plays consistantly... without having an inside perspective. But, I expect the picture to become clearer in the next couple of weeks.

Again, if you would have read the article (Please, please read the article) you would have seen that Dan said the same exact thing. Football is a sport in which you CANNOT and should not replace the head coach in the middle of the season unlike the other 3 major pro sports, which ironically has happened to Miami's 3 other teams this year. I will not reiterate what Dan explains in his article, read it and discover for yourself how Wannstedt has built a team for 4 years now on his motto 'Defense wins championships', but yet our team is nowhere near champions-style with decisions he has made. Read the article!

Ok. I read the article. He correctly identified the turnover disparity. He correctly states that this team is built and designed around the Defense. He correctly bemoaned the failure that we had last year on Defense and that it was NOT championship quality. He correctly pointed out the Defensive failure against the Titans without including the affect of not having it's two top players. I understand that he is a writer and has to tie everything together into a nice simplistic & pithy package.

He incorrectly connected the running game production to the play of the LT and #2 WR (????). He prematurely labels Derrius Thompson a bust. He gave no indepth breakdown or analysis of why we turned the ball over or why we did not create turnovers. It was a nice emotional..."the buck stops here" piece.

Reminder: I have not given up on my team, I'll support the Fins to the end, but when the season ends... I know what the main problem is.

Very good. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly suprised.

Back
Top Bottom