This is going to be a good draft, I think | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is going to be a good draft, I think

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I really like how the intrigue is shaping up. Tampa Bay unleashed a torrent of potential traders for the #2 pick when they talked about trading up to get Alex Smith. The rumor had one added benefit that even I didn't foresee...drumming up interest in Braylon Edwards.

It seems that a few teams do not exactly believe the Bucs when they say they'd be targeting Alex Smith at #2. The Vikings and Redskins may believe that the Bucs are targeting Braylon Edwards. The Vikes immediately jumped in to talks with Miami about trading to #2, and you know what, I believe Saban has been leaning toward Braylon Edwards the whole time.

Now, we've got these rumors that the Cardinals want to trade for Patrick Surtain. They got a 3rd round pick from the Pats for Duane Starks. Could they get away with sending it to us for Surtain? No, but if they sent their 2nd round pick to us, having the extra 3rd rounder would certainly soften the blow. The end effect for them would be like upgrading from Duane Starks to Pat Surtain, and in return moving their 2nd round pick to a 3rd round pick.

I get sick of mindless @ss-kissing of Saban as much as anyone, but I have to say that Saban has played this flawlessly. He has already outdueled the 49ers. The market knows the 49ers will take Smith or Rodgers, and they would have to do something DRAMATIC to make the rest of the league think they'll go with Braylon. They're trying to shift the focus back onto them at the #1 pick instead of on Saban at the #2 pick, like a petulent child who is denying that he lost.

It isn't that Saban has done anything extremely difficult. But then again, it is also kind of difficult NOT to show your hand early in this game. It certainly requires a lot of faith. Everyone was saying, oh this draft sucks so much at the top you can toss out the trade value chart. What does Saban say? I'm a new coach and I'm going to stick religiously to the trade value chart. Some would call that stupid, unrealistic, and would say he'll let valuable trades slip right past him by highballing everyone. But the one pattern that is undeniable in every single draft I've ever seen, is that scouts ALWAYS diss on the talent in the draft on the outset, right up until the end, when teams start to settle on their guys and all the sudden the prices go up and up and up. Saban's unwillingness to cave, in his negotiations with Surtain, and in his talking about the #2 pick, is going to be rewarded.

And now it would appear that the Vikings are a VERY serious contender for the #2 pick, sending their #7 and #18 picks to us in exchange...and the Redskins may also be a suitor with their #9 and #25 picks. And now, the Cardinals, with a higher 2nd round pick than the Chiefs, may be a suitor for Surtain. I imagine other suitors will develop, especially in the wake of the Buchanon trade.

This is going to be a fun draft. I will enjoy this.

I just hope we end up with Matt Jones. I'll go streaking down the hallways buck nekked if we get him.

You're right, CK, it certainly seems like the Niners are doing the "well I'm just going to sit here and hold my breath until you pay attention to me" routine.

Two months ago, I said there was a 50% chance we'd get a trade down done. Now, I'm moving that to 80%. At this point, I'd be very surprised if we're still at #2.

ckparrothead said:
I just hope we end up with Matt Jones. I'll go streaking down the hallways buck nekked if we get him.

Half the westernised world is praying that one of the other 31 teams signs Matt Jones. :D

That's the thing I don't get. Everyone wants their team to end up with Matt Jones, but they want their team to end up with him at the right price. Everyone has targeted him, and they're like "if he's available at our pick in the 2nd round..." etc.

#30, #31, #32? Too low. #25 or #22? Too low. #18, I still think too low.

What team's fans would have the bollocks to take him at #7 in the draft? What team's fans would have the bollocks to take him #2 overall? I would, though. I believe he is the most talented player in the draft, bar none.

I think we could trade down from 18 (if we have it) a few spots and get Jones. I just don't see him going before the mid-20s. Too many teams have bona fide needs to take a chance on him that early.

That is the conventional wisdom. But when a team's bonafied need is at WR, I don't see why not Jones. He would especially fit in Miami, because we'll be using a lot of 3 WR sets, and as a 3rd WR he could do some real damage in his first year, even before he's learned the nuances of route running and whatnot. See Chris Chambers.

Well, there is always the old Michael Irvin path. Irvin was absolutely unstoppable on the 8-10 yard slant. That was the fallback when he couldn't get anything else on a cornerback. Maybe Jones will be the same way; just get one route down where he can use his size and speed to great advantage, and let everything else fall into place.

I believe Jones would be unstoppable on the 8 to 10 yard slant as well, because there isn't a corner out there that could successfully jam him at the line I don't think.

ckparrothead said:
I believe Jones would be unstoppable on the 8 to 10 yard slant as well, because there isn't a corner out there that could successfully jam him at the line I don't think.

Fantastic point. Jones -- more than any other receiver -- could really abuse CBs with the newly re-emphasized chuck rule.

DrAstroZoom said:
Fantastic point. Jones -- more than any other receiver -- could really abuse CBs with the newly re-emphasized chuck rule.

If we can't land Jones maybe Vincent Jackson could be an option later on.

Den54 said:
If we can't land Jones maybe Vincent Jackson could be an option later on.

Is that the Division II-A guy? I think I saw a clip of him on Sportscenter. The guy has some amazing elusiveness. (Elusivity? Loosey-gooseyness?)

The problem with Vincent Jackson is you never know if he's going to be just another Larry Shannon.

I know you think those two little inches and tenth of a second of speed can't make much of a difference but I assure you, they can. I view Jones as a can't miss guy, because of his world-beating height, weight, and speed. I keep forgetting to mention Jones' weight too, btw, but it really should be noted. At 240 pounds the guy isn't going to get pushed around by any cornerback on the planet, whether it be at the line, or whether it be down the field on a jump ball. The problem with comparing him to Larry Shannon, who was 6'4" and 206 pounds, with very close to the same speed as Jones, is that jones is a good 30 or 40 pounds heavier than Shannon. Thats what makes Jones so dynamic. It would be one thing if he was 6'6" tall and ran a 4.37 forty and he only weight 200 pounds (thin as a rail). That would severely mitigate his jump-ball prowess, and necessitate him to have good hands and very good ball awareness to be the world-beater at jump balls.

Back
Top Bottom