This is not your 2002 pre-injury Jay Fiedler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is not your 2002 pre-injury Jay Fiedler

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
It seems like most of us who defend Jay Fiedler are thinking of Jay Fiedler that played the first 6 games of 2002 before he got injured. We have to realize that he is not as good since the injury.

While our O-line has not been that good either what can we lose by giving Griese a chance. Fiedler is so limited that teams are putting 8 men in the box and daring Fiedler to beat them knowing full well that he will make mistakes and keep the game close. I am not saying Griese will take us to the promised land because we do not know how good/bad he can be but he can be no worse than Fiedler. Don't bring Lucas' name because Griese is a proven starter in this league and Lucas was not.

With Fiedler we will always be just another good team because of our defense. With Fiedler we should not be dreaming Super Bowl like we like too. With Fiedler we are not that good and will lose more games than we would like to.

If I were an opposing D and we started Griese, I would not only run blitz on early downs like every team does to us (esp. in 2nd half), but also blitz often on passing downs. Griese is relatively immobile and our OL is avg at best. Maybe we can get Dixon back and he will help...

I agree with the title of this thread: Jay is NOT playing to his 2002 pre-injury form. There is NO way for us to answer this question, but I wonder if the loss of a designated QB coach (Mike Shula), has something to do with it. Like I said, no way to know from sitting out here, but it may be Norv just doesn't have time to devote the attention Fiedler needed to diagnose his problems and come up with techniques to eliminate those problems.

I think these are all good points. The thumb is also something I question. As some have mentioned (as have I), Warren Moon suffered the same injury and said his grip was never the same. After Jay came back, we knew it was an issue. If you remember back to the first 2 years, one of Jay's positives was that he threw a very nice spiral. After the thumb injury (and the ligament injury to his forefinger), we didn't see that same spiral. And we have not seen it much this season either.

Back
Top Bottom