This is what I currently think will happen | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This is what I currently think will happen

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
I think Drew Henson wants to be a Dolphin, and the Dolphins will trade Houston something like a 3rd round pick next year, that could become either a 2nd or a 1st based on Henson's playing time and/or performance. Jay Fiedler will be reatined for another season at a lesser salary, but it will be noted that Henson will have a chance to compete for the starting job. Fiedler will say he accepts the challenge etc etc.

This, in turn, will make Rick Spielman decide to tender Ogunleye and hold on to him for atleast another season, at the risk of losing him for nothing next offseason, because this team is still in win-now mode because the roster they will put together should have the ability to win a championship. I also expect the team to either re-sign Todd Wade or go after either John Tait, Chad Clifton, or Floyd Womack from Seattle who I think would be a great fit and is a cheaper alternative. I also feel like they will make big run for Chris Villarial, and will definetly either sign him, or settle for someone like Jeno James. Also, Jamie Nails will be retained. That would create a line of Wade Smith-Nails-McKinney-Villarial-Clifton for example which will clearly be a huge upgrade over last season, especially with the expected improvement of Wade Smith (who played much, much better football over the last seven weeks of the season and could very well become a top tackle) and Seth McKinney replacing Tim Ruddy.

As far as the draft goes, I think they wait and see if Reggie Williams will be available at twenty. If he's gone, they'll probably either draft Rashan Woods (who I absolutely love and can be an instant starter) or Derrik Hamilton/Mark Clayton; both big, athletic recievers who will need time to become big time contributors but can be explosive 3rd WR's in the immediate future. I think they will then draft an offensive tackle in the 3rd round that can play both sides, and then draft a quaterback like Jeff Smoker (who has the tools be a very solid starter but has a checkered past and will fall), or Casey Clausen in the 4th round to compete with Rosenfels for the 3rd quaterback position, and add some youth and potential to the position in case Henson doesn't produce.

I'd prefer Rivers but overall I think I'm with ya. One thing you didnt mention is starting QB. You're resigned to having Fiedler back to try one more year?

Cuz honestly if we're selling out for one more run, that run should not be with Fiedler at the helm. If we're stuck with him at the helm again the franchise should do whats best for the team overall instead of whats best for the team in 2004...and that could mean jettisoning Sam Madison, maybe Junior Seau as well...and either Zgonina or Bowens because they are both very old and we need to start developing a younger guy to take over next to Chester. It might involve dumping one or both safeties. Time to bring in the new blood its just too bad we don't have a load of draft picks to do it.

If you have the nucleus of Ogun, JT, Chester, Zach, and Surtain on the defense that is still very formidable. We would have to either start Jamar Fletcher and finally let him get tossed into the fire to see if he cant develop some kind of rhythm and consistency as a CB for us, or we'd have to sign someone.

Hamilton isn't worthy of the #20 pick. Other than that, I love your post.

My route is basically the exact:

Future QB = Trade(Henson)
OL = FA
WR = Draft

Hi guys -just want to say this is my first posting to Finheaven, after having been a 'lurker' for a few months, I've read many of your posts, and I have to say this is the greatest chatroom I've seen -
I've been a Fin fan since 1980, through two Super Bowl losses, some huge playoff losses (including a string to the Jills), and a few seasons when we didn't make it -which sometimes were less painful, tbh. Two seasons ago, I almost abandoned my two decades fanship, I was that frustrated with the lack of proactive/imaginative coaching and the seeming lack of desire of the whole team to win it all. I came back when we got Ricky, that, IMO, has actually changed the team into a possible SB champ at some point during his career -provided we can put something together by then! That being said, HERE IS WHAT I HOPE HAPPENS:

1) QB: We pick up Ramsey or Garcia. I really don't understand what some of you have against Ramsey, I have three huge Skin fan friends and they are just cringing at what is going on now. He is a talented athelete, can run, hit the long pass, hit the timing pass, and has a knack for making plays. This year he played behind a worse OL than ours with no RB. Having started for a little over a year he can start here or anywhere. He is easily -easily -worth our 20th, given that were we to draft Rivers, or Manning, or anyone else, not only would they take at least a year to come up to speed, but they might -probably would, given the history of the nfl -bust out or be average at best. I love Rivers's intangibles, but the kid has never thrown an NFL pass!
If we can't get Ramsey, Garcia is an obvious upgrade over Jay. I don't hate Jay, he has done an adequate job, but that's it -he will never be more than slightly better than the pack, even in his best games. He can't throw deep, he doesn't make good decisions, doesn't have a knack for making the big play when needed -in short, he is a 10-6 QB.
With either Garcia or Ramsey at QB last year -even with our receivers and OL -we would prob have been 12-4 or 13-3 and made at least the second round

2) OL: We can't draft and improve at this position. OLers need a few years to develope. We need to address this in FA. I don't know who is available and how good they are/how much they cost, but I do think if we take the best of what we have and make two-three additions we will have an OL adequate enough to go far. It should be feasible.

3) WR: We don't need TO, but we can't have Derrius Thompson. We need a productive/adequate second, someone to take the heat of Chambers. McKnight is wasted space and has been since we signed him, he should be cut, we can easily find someone to take his place. Hell, we could put a watercooler in centerfield, that would prob be as productive and would save us millions in cap.

4) Coaching: YOU have given up on Wanny. I have given up on Wanny. Can anyone say "Tony Dungy"? How can we think that if he has lost OUR confidence that the players will still play for him? Other then to coast through their careers with the least amount of friction possible?
Wanny is a nice guy. Conservative. Unimaginative. At a time when the Bellichecks are winning championships. Please don't talk to me about our philosophy of "they know what we're going to do they just can't stop us." Works if you have the Dallas OL, QB, and RB of 1990. Does NOT work if you have the Miami OL, QB, and RB of 19987-2003. These days the teams that win win by guile, by game planning, by being unpredictable and taking advantages of the other teams weaknesses. That being said, it sounds as if Collier could actually be an upgrade over Norv, who every DC in the league could predict. It is possible that if Collier does a great job, that Wanny won't screw up the rest too much and our great overrated, "bend-but-break during the big moments" D can do enough to hold it together.

That is my SB scenario, though I have to say I am doubtful. What do I hope to happen this season? Dolphins go 12-4 or 13-3, we fire Wanny and get someone who is results oriented and intelligent in their planning, and we make a serious run in 2005. Hopefully our D is still young and productive enough by then.
After 23 years of being a Fin fan, I've got to say the most frustrating thing -what almost made me change -was their lack of a winning attitude. What almost broke my back was the loss to the 49er's a few years ago, when they figured out -when their coaching staff figured out -two things: If they confused our OL they could sack us all day long; and if they beat up our DL they could stuff it down our throats. They did it to us all day long, because our coaches were such a**holes and had the "they might know what we're going to do but they can't stop us" mentality. Guess what? They stopped us, badly. And EVERY other team we played that season did the same thing: the Jets, Patriots, Bills, etc. If we can break free from that mentality and do a few of the things I mentioned above, it wouldn't be such a chore to be a Fin fan!

Good post but why draft a qb and trade to get Henson??? WE have Sage, he can battle with Henson if that is your intention.

My idea... Keep Jay or BG (yes, I still like BG) and get Henson for a next year pick, and then draft WR and OL with pics in first (Ogun tender.) Make Madison restructure, or trade him and then get more help on OL in FA. Could be nice.

Maybe im nuts, but if you've been a fan since 1980, how can u have been through 2 super bowl losses? I was 3 when the Phins went to the SB in 1984, but to my knowledge, they havent been since. :drinkers:

Smokey...hes talking about the day when Riggins ran up/over and through the "killer B's". Think Woodley. I wanna say the year was 82 or thereabouts......maybe 81 (Marino came in 83....)

3 years old when they played the 9rs? I am friggin' old........

If Reggie Williams is not available at #20, I would trade down to later in the round or early in the 2nd and pick up an extra pick.

Two receivers constantly overlooked are Evans and Jenkins
Evans was a top five overall choice before he blew out his knee and seems to be fine now. He also went to Wisc with CC and the two could be dynamic.
Jenkins is big and fast. Moss like in size and speed (not saying he is moss). He is 6-5 with 4.3-4.25 speed:eek: and leaping ability. He is being overlooked b/c the Ohio St offense was pathetic and he suffers from poor #s because of it.
I would love to grab one of these guys late in the 1st or early second if we trade down. They could be the steals of the WR crop.

I am basically okay with these ideas. I woudl rather see:

Henson or Rivers and Ramsey or Garcia

I would NOT miss the opportunity to get one of these young QBs (Rivers/Henson) and you still need a proven starter. I am not sold on Ramsey because he has not performed consitently. As pointed out in other posts, statistically, he is not really better than Fiedler. I would be okay with keeping BG. He played well and almost won the Colts game for us when Wade Smith turned into a turnstile and let the DE crush himn for a fumble. I still don't get why everyone is so hyped about Smith. He got beat so many times around the end it was embarrassing.

I would go:

Tender Wally and then let him go for the pick. With highest pick take Rivers of you don't do the Henson deal. If you do the Henson deal, then draft the highest rated OLineman in the draft. Perhaps Carey from UM. You get Owens at WR in Free Agency. You aquire John Tait via FA also. You cut Fiedler and BG if you get Ramsey. If you don't get Ramsey then you keep BG over Fiedler.

WRs: Chambers, Owens
TE McMichael
RT: Tait
RG:Carey
C: McKinney
LG:Dixon (remember him?)
LT: Smith
WB: Ramsey/Henson or Rivers
RB: Ricky God
FB: Konrad

Now that is improved O-Line, improved WR, and improved QB. THAT is what this team needs.

Thank you, thank you very much. I wil be here through next week please tip your bartenders and waitresses.

PS

I don't want to hear all the salary cap moaning. It can be done. There are teams that go out and do it every year. We just have to make some hard decisions on the overpaid stiffs we have who are stealing their salaries every year. Time to cut, re-work, use incentives and do what the good teams do to make it happen. Teams like the Rams, 49ers, the Redskins, the Bucs do it every year. We can too.

No BG or Fiedler you get Garcia and Henson.Rivers wont be there and Garcia is a 3 time pro bowler who can move and throw.He'll be cheaper than Ramsey in the sense that no picks involved only Salary negotiations.We need to get young or we will be rebuilding and I think they should release Madison cause for his $ he's not producing like he used to.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Hamilton isn't worthy of the #20 pick. Other than that, I love your post.

My route is basically the exact:

Future QB = Trade(Henson)
OL = FA
WR = Draft

I'd rather keep next years picks. i.e not trade for Henson

Let Wally go so that we have two firsts.

Future QB = Draft (Rivers)
OL = Draft (Carey)
WR = FA (Jackson/Bruce)

This way we still keep draft picks. I'm fed up of trading picks.

Back
Top Bottom