This team doesn't need a rebuild... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This team doesn't need a rebuild...

Rebar71

OOPS - I did it again!
Reaction score
This team just needs a few tweaks. We just needed a few tweaks last off-season too, but the owner failed to make the first tweak by not firing Wannstedt. I can't put full blame on Dave for last night's loss, but it is said that a team takes on the personality of its coach. Dave Wannstedt is affable at best - ergo, so is his team. The other tweaks we needed - specifically, on the offensive side of the ball - did not happen because the first tweak was not made.

We already had the #3 defense last year. So, what does Dave do? He goes out and adds more defense. HULLO??!! Wasn't the offense like 27th or something? We need 3 things this off-season, and none of them are on the defensive side of the ball.

We need: #1 - a new head coach. #2 - a new O-line. #3 - a new starting QB that can hit open receivers and not throw INTs at the most critical times. Another receiver would be nice too, but a better QB and O-line will make the receivers we have look a lot better.

Don't ask me how I propose to do this. I don't know all the cap figures and how to manage it all. I just think I know what we need. But the first change - and perhaps the most significant - has to be at the top. Without that, the rest won't get done. Say what you want about the personnel, but it's the guy at the top who's responsible for those guys being here.

I tend to agree with you about not rebuilding for next year, but I'm not going to get pissed off if that's how the new coach decides to do things. We owe that guy a chance to have things done his way, rather than handcuffing him with JJ and Wanny's guys if he thinks they're really the problems...

I think we need to face reality. We are not that good of a football team. Our special teams suck. Our defense is good to start the year then crumbles like the 1988 Dolphins D. Our offense has one good tight end, a great back, a good reciever and nothing else.

Overall, we are MEDIOCRE at best. The Eagles game proved that even when we bring our "A" game we still can't compete. Watch McNabb, watch teams that find a way to win. We find ways to lose. We have drowned ourselves in the statistics, in the hype, in the pro bowl voting. This clouds our vision from the reality that we can make up 20 excuses for why we choke year in and year out, but the truth in that matter is that we simply aren't that good. We don't have real playmakers that can break the 100 yard kickoff return or make the diving catch, or make the great throw on 4th and 7 when the game is on the line. We don't have the clutch defenders that can feed off pressure instead of wilt. No coaching change can make up for the lack of talent or killer instinct that is lacking on this team.

However, you can't really blame the players. We haven't had a top 5 pick in forever. While other teams rebuild, stack their lines and build for the future, the Dolphins are always building for next year, always a player away from taking it to the next level. This dream will never come true until we feel TRUE pain, several years of losing with a brash new QB and young lines that are hungry to knock the crap out of opposing players. Until that happens I suspect we may be looking at many more season of 9-7, 8-8, 10-6 ect while teams like the Bengals, Patsies, Jets and others move ahead of us.

Originally posted by Jimmy James
I tend to agree with you about not rebuilding for next year, but I'm not going to get pissed off if that's how the new coach decides to do things. We owe that guy a chance to have things done his way, rather than handcuffing him with JJ and Wanny's guys if he thinks they're really the problems...
Agreed - but at the same time, any new coach will need the first year to really evaluate what is already in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Bumrush
The Eagles game proved that even when we bring our "A" game we still can't compete.
You call that our "A" game? LOL! The defense didn't tackle and Fiedler was horrible. If that's our "A" game, then you're right - we suck.

wanny thought that miami could win with an excellent defense and a solid running game.. which is what they had last year.. so instead of fixing the beat up offensive line, he tweaked the defense..
i guess he forgot to realize that the o line was more important, and the fact that other teams were not going to take ricky as lightly as they did the year before..
bottom line.. wanny stepped in his dlck.
now waynes gonna step on it too..

I agree whole-heartedly with the special teams assesment. When was the last time we scored on a big special teams play? It's not reasonable to think that we need to go out and get a Dante Hall but it IS reasonable to think that we could at least pose a threat on special teams.

This, of course, is aside from the fact that we need a head coach that demands respect from his players and makes his players believe in his system. I've backed Fiedler for a long time now (and I still think he's a good QB) but it's just not happening with him in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Rebar71

You call that our "A" game? LOL! The defense didn't tackle and Fiedler was horrible. If that's our "A" game, then you're right - we suck.

:fire: :fire: :fire:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The way we played yesterday IS our "A" game every December swoon. We put up 27 points on offense and our D missed tackle after tackle. Haven't you seen this before??

Originally posted by Rebar71
We need: #1 - a new head coach. #2 - a new O-line. #3 - a new starting QB that can hit open receivers and not throw INTs at the most critical times. Another receiver would be nice too, but a better QB and O-line will make the receivers we have look a lot better.
I am not disagreing with the details, but that is rebuilding what you described.

here is the stat that need most to change
Jay completed 21 of 40 passes for a season-best 240 yards.

we need an O who can provide the QB with the chance put up 300 yards every few games :(

I think it does need to be re-built.....

Especially on offense. We need a new OL, a new QB, and another WR opposite C. Chambers.....

On defense, we need to gut it out. In order to get more help on offense, the defense will take a large hit. Honestly though, that hit on defense wont be as bad as some are already assuming....

DB S. Madison - He's old, and slowing very quickly. I'm no longer confident in his talents.....

DT T. Bowens - Love the guy, but he's no longer worth the money IMO. His injuries have also begun to limit his play....

S B. Marion - Way overrated. He's slow, and considering he's suppose to be the deepest man on the field, where's he been???

DE J. Taylor - Grill me if you want to, but this guy is the classic case of an underachiever. Where the hell has he been this year?? He was getting doubled up last season as well, and yet he still managed 18 sacks. What's he have this year???....7??? That's a joke for a guy who's getting paid as much as he is. Hell, DE A. Ogunleye is better than he is, and he only makes a fraction of what JT makes.....

We need football players, not names....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

Back
Top Bottom