This will be a "Best Player Available" draft.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This will be a "Best Player Available" draft..

I hope so, because i hate it when the fins picking players merely for need and end up with busts like fletcher, moore, ...! But i´m pretty confident in the ability of Cameron and Randy to bring the fins in a good shape through the draft!

The problem is that Fletcher and Moore were not really "need" picks. They were picked based more on a "BPA" mentality. We had 2 #1 CB's already (didn't need a CB), we needed offense badly in both cases, and Moore was projected as a back up/special teams guy his first year because we were set at LB. BPA mentality, just bad GM's picking bad players.

Going back farther, to the 80s, Shipp, Brophy, Hampton, Kumerow were more "need" picks. The Fins LB/RB's were decimated with injuries/deaths/etc in the early 80s and w/o free agency, and we selected for need. Got bad/marginal players, and it did not work.

The problem with "BPA" is that no one really knows who is good and who is not. Everyone has opinions (especially before the draft). A BPA mentality is fine, but in the end, whether by need or BPA, you have to select good players (which Fletcher and Moore were not).

I am totally comfortable with BPA. One question for you all to ponder...

What happens if Adrian Peterson is there when we pick? He'd definitely be BPA...

I'd personally hope for a minimal trade down for an extra pick, but it could be dangerous depending on who else is there...

Here’s a an idea...

Get the “BPA” who just happens to fit our need profile!

#1 BPA need = OT (or QB)
#2 BPA need = C (or QB)
#3 BPA need = TE (or QB)
#4 BPA need = G
#5 BPA need = CB
#6 BPA need = ILB
#7 BPA need = a viable warm body!

As far as definitive QB --- CPep seems to be a [low percentage] “roll of the dice” at this point, but there’s still hope he could (???) regain his form, rediscover his chops, and blossom under Cam’s guidance. I for one see this as 50/50 at best!

This means we also fortify the position via Green and/or pickup Carr, or… Lemon is the incumbent winner. IMO these solutions all come with disclaimers, indicating we need a parallel strategy to solve our long term need by developing a drafted QB from this years crop.

Bottom line, I think we’ve got too many “needs” to solve in one draft --- though, as others would quickly point out, there are miracles from time to time and it’s possible (but NOT probable) we’re a SB team by week 3!

What if the BPA is a player that does not fit our system?

Like a cover 2 MLB or CB, an oline that is fit for a Denver OLine? What happens then?

I think BPA to an extent. It cannot be flatout BPA.

You take your positions of need and grade each player. The player from those groups with the highest grade. For Ex:

LB
Player 1- 2000 points
Player 2- 1850 points

RB
Player 1- 2100 points
Player 2- 1700 points

CB
Player 1- 2300 Points
Player 2- 2200 Points

etc......

You take CB Player 1

Hows that sound?

The problem with "BPA" is that no one really knows who is good and who is not. Everyone has opinions (especially before the draft). A BPA mentality is fine, but in the end, whether by need or BPA, you have to select good players (which Fletcher and Moore were not).

No one really knows for certain whom is going to be good but a monkey could have told you than Eddie F'n Moore was bad pick and was nowhere near BPA at that point in the draft. Some people just have a much better judge of talent than others. I have much more faith in Mueller (and Cam at least on O) in judging talent than prior decision makers.

What if the BPA is a player that does not fit our system?

Like a cover 2 MLB or CB, an oline that is fit for a Denver OLine? What happens then?

Clearly BPA means "best player available for your team."

Back
Top Bottom