this would have been tannehill's breakout season | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

this would have been tannehill's breakout season

I promise I'm not try to stir the pot but I'm sure what I'm about to say will ruffle some feathers. Has anyone ever seen our players more complimentary towards our QB ever? It seems like every day an offensive player is speaking out about how great Jay Cutler is. Maybe it's just rallying around him but I see it so often, never posted on here mind you, I wonder if it's real.

If there is something to that -- and I don't know whether there is from my meager vantage point as a measly fan -- I would venture to say that it's because Cutler has a swagger and an aggressiveness in his play that Tannehill doesn't. Tannehill is tough and durable, but he doesn't play as aggressively as Cutler in my opinion.

Now, that may come back to bite the team at some points, when Cutler throws his typical interceptions and ruins games, but as of now that hasn't happened, hence the compliments may be easier to give.

Well, his season is done. Why even talk about it? That's my point. Let's just discuss what we got and how the team can improve. What's done is done.

And with that you're illustrating precisely the strength of film study -- a very small sample of play, with regard to which analytics could have a large margin of error.

The strengths and limitations of analytics and film study are precisely the converse of each other -- film study is great for small samples, and suffers with regard to larger samples. Analytics precisely the opposite.

Nobody questions whether the Super Bowl winner is a good team, and says "wait -- I need to check the film first." The large 19- or 20-game sample of play throughout the season, along with the statistical results, tells the tale.

Likewise, nobody wonders whether Peyton Manning is a good QB and says "wait -- I need to check the film first." His career statistics are sufficient, and offer much more complete a picture of the kind of player he was than any reasonable sample of film would.

Additionally, one would have to watch an amount of film that's hardly humanly possible, while controlling for human error (which isn't possible), to determine for example where exactly the Dolphins' offensive line falls in relation to all of the other lines of the league.

So when there is a small sample of play, by all means, use the film to evaluate it -- film is the far stronger means of analysis in those instances, and can often uncover where the statistics have gone awry. When the sample is large, however, statistics provide the stronger analytic medium, far more free from human bias.

I agree with you here, in fact I'll admit I do agree with a lot of the points you have made in this thread, but also consider that someone has to watch the tape in order to record the statistics for analytics. Tape study is the foundation for all of it.

Reactions: <O>
Alright. I've decided to drop my agenda against advanced analytics and use it as a tool along with tape study still as my foundation. Reason being; I don't want to be associated in any realm with this kind of idiot.

That's some scary kind of ignorance right there.

That dude has got to be the most annoying human on radio.

Wtf was that..

IDK, but after seeing it, it hit me that in no aspect whatsoever do I ever want to be associated with that kind of nonsense in disregarding advances in statistical analysis.

Alright. I've decided to drop my agenda against advanced analytics and use it as a tool along with tape study still as my foundation. Reason being; I don't want to be associated in any realm with this kind of idiot.

That's some scary kind of ignorance right there.

You've never been as bad as that guy.

But it does show you how fans of a team can get easily pissed off in response to "numbers," when the team isn't doing well.

Back
Top Bottom