This years fins different. No really... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This years fins different. No really...

eltos_lightfoot

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that everything, and I mean everything, is different about this years fins?

1. Miami had won all of its openers for like the last 11 years. We lose to the Texans.

2. We always start off hot in September and October, so Dave lets up a little bit in practice and the preseason. We end up 6-4 heading into the stretch run. Not good. But don't they seem to have just a little more spring in their step?

3. We are always undefeated at Pro Player. We have lost three games there this year. But we won the latest there after being down by 13 in the fourth quarter!

4. We had the number one sacker in the NFL last year. Jason Taylor has been double and triple teamed this year. Adewale has stepped up. As has Junior.

5. We had the number one rusher in the league last year. Ricky is averaging a yard and a half less a carry last time I looked.

6. Going into December, our team is always limping through, barely beating teams, just trying to back into the playoffs. Last year we could all feel it slipping away in New England, and before that Minnesota. We missed the playoffs entirely. This year we are 3-2 in November and getting hot after routing the cowboys.

7. Last year it our road record was below .500 while this year we are at 5-1.

There are many reasons for these differences. I believe the biggest is clarity of leadership. The coaches are more focused on individual accountability. Like others have pointed out on these boards, Wannstedt is much quicker to call units on his team that are not performing well. And his calling up Fiedler in the fourth quarter was brilliance.

Fiedler has also come into focus as the unquestioned leader of this team. You could see it during the Redskins game, which I think people will look back on as the point at which this season changed for good. Griese had a blank, almost dazed, look on his face. I am not sure why, and I don't really care. All I know is after the muffed punt by Newson, the defense was trying to hold. They switched to the camera that was focused on Jay. He was pissed. He was ANGRY. He was focused. He wanted in the game bad.

This clarity of leadership provided on offense by Jay was mirrored on the defense by Junior Seau. This team, on both sides of the ball, has far too many introspective quiet stars. Jason, Zach, Ricky, etc. Everyone, by the end of last season, kept looking around for everyone else to make a play. This year Seau has taught them how to make the play themselves on defense. He has taught them composure. So you gave up a bad play. MAKE one to counter. BE accountable on every play. Seau's intensity has been a thing to behold this season.

Suddenly we are hot going into the home stretch. We are not taking anything for granted. We do not have an undefeated home schedule, we do not have the league's leading rusher or sacker. We have a bunch of stars that finally look like a team. These guys look like they are in this together.

We have to give Rick and Dave credit. They chose lunchpail-esque veteran free agents over the glitz and flash (not to mention overpriced) free agents out there. The leadership of Zgonina, Seau, Buckey, and Knight have really solidified this defense.

Superbowl teams have to be able to run it when the defense is playing pass, and pass it when the defense is playing the run. That is how you win games with offense. But there will be games when the offense is unable to score hardly at all. Do we have a defense that can shut down a team? Finally we do.

The fate of this much more urgent team remains to be seen. This much more focused on winning team can turn around the December slide, and I truly believe they will.

All of the upcoming opponents of the dolphins had better be careful, for this is something that this dol-fan has not seen in years at this point in the season. This years dolphins are different in a very important way. They are confident. They are hungry. And they are desperate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good post. It just goes to show you how much Wanny and Jay are under appreciated.

We had more road wins this year than we did last year after the Jaguars game. We only won 2 road games all of last year.

The Dolphins last year 7-4 after 11 games, and we were 7-4. However, at this point, they lost their 12th game @ Buffalo. We demolished the Cowboys.

The difference between last year and this year is that the team has heart. The defense is better as well. The offense is worse but for the first time all year Norv Turner had good playcalling the whole game.

Thats a great post Eltos!

Since the 4th QTR of the skins game, the Dolphins offense has looked MUCH more like the offense that started out 5-1 in '02. But vanished with a blow to the head of Chris Chambers in Mile High Stadium.

The thing that "kind of" worries me is that maybe Dallas' #1 Defense was overlooking our #27 offense and we may have caught them sleep-walking, if only just a least a little bit. But after last nights blow out, our O is not going to catch anyone else by surprise... Chambers will be facing MUCH better corners than he played against last night, so we'll be real lucky to see anymore 3 TD nights for CC.( But a couple 2 TD games would be fine with me--- GO CC! ).

Bellicheck will have 6 days to figure out how to stop us, fortunately we have ten to figure out how to keep it going.

In our last 4 games we won't be facing better corners than we did yesterday. Maybe Ty Law. Certainly though, we won't be facing a secondary like we did yesterday. Fiedler and Chambers schooled the #1 pass D in the league.

The sack leader thing at this point might not be changed. Ogunleye is currently tied with Simeon Rice with 12.

The only problem I see if getting homefield through round 2. Without that it is very tough to make a run. With the Indy and Ten losses, we are a full 3 games back from them. Catching up to the Chiefs probably won't happen. IF you remember New England's run they had the bye that helped them tremendously. Not to be negative, but it is very hard to win in the playoffs if you have to play 3 games on the road, and the way it looks now, it would be 3 on the road, with week 2 being at KC..

I made a post that was almost exactly the same as this about a month ago. I guess that means I agree. ;)

Back
Top Bottom