Thoughts on Jack Campbell? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on Jack Campbell?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I've seen Captain Jack listed in that late 2nd, early 3rd range. Miami needs a MLB and I like his play.

Seems to be instinctive, a good tackler and decent in coverage.

Any other MLB that you all like?

Overshown...To'oTo'o...Lil Eichenberg

Moving from most athletic to least.

I like the guy out of Texas because he can do about the same job tackling as the corp we have, BUT his coverage is a definite bump.

Overshown...To'oTo'o...Lil Eichenberg

Moving from most athletic to least.

I like the guy out of Texas because he can do about the same job tackling as the corp we have, BUT his coverage is a definite bump.
I like To'oTo'o as well. I think he probably goes late 1st. At least that's where projections are with him.

As an Iowa Hawkeye fan, I’ve watched Campbell quite a bit and can confirm he’s a gamer. Iowa LBs tend to have okay/good, not great, NFL careers. Josey Jewell (IA), Jack Sanborn (WI) might be good Big Ten comps.

Jack Campbell 2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Background:

• 2021 Defensive MVP that was named permanent team captain
  • 2021 First Team All-Big-Ten
  • Academic standout that lettered in basketball and track in high school
System:

• Scheme tendencies: 4-2-5 with some odd front looks
  • 2022 projected role: Second-year starting linebacker
Pros: In a world where linebackers are getting smaller, Jack Campbell has a throwback frame that was engineered for serving as a downhill second-level defender in the NFL. I like how he leverages gaps and fits the run. Campbell is sufficient with shallow zone coverage drops and buzzing down in the flats—he holds his own as a hook/curl/flats defender in coverage. He has experience in all phases of special teams. Campbell is a mostly secure tackler with good hitting power.

Cons: Jack Campbell is guilty of playing reps through a straw and doesn’t demonstrate ideal spatial awareness when navigating through traffic. His angles can be hit or miss—he’s often too aggressive and doesn’t arrive to the football on schedule. His range is modest against the run and in coverage. He’s an active defender that is usually around the ball but his pursuit effort can be passive at times. For a linebacker of his stature, I expected more consistent block deconstruction ability; I didn’t find him getting out-physicaled when addressing blocks but he needs to develop more technique for stacking and shedding. He’s a bit high-hipped, which takes away from his ability to flip his hips, transition, and change directions.

Jack Campbell NFL Draft Scouting Report by Joe Marino

Last edited:
As an Iowa Hawkeye fan, I’ve watched Campbell quite a bit and can confirm he’s a gamer. Iowa LBs tend to have okay/good, not great, NFL careers. Josey Jewell (IA), Jack Sanborn (WI) might be good Big Ten comps.

Jack Campbell 2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Background:

• 2021 Defensive MVP that was named permanent team captain
  • 2021 First Team All-Big-Ten
  • Academic standout that lettered in basketball and track in high school
System:

• Scheme tendencies: 4-2-5 with some odd front looks
  • 2022 projected role: Second-year starting linebacker
Pros: In a world where linebackers are getting smaller, Jack Campbell has a throwback frame that was engineered for serving as a downhill second-level defender in the NFL. I like how he leverages gaps and fits the run. Campbell is sufficient with shallow zone coverage drops and buzzing down in the flats—he holds his own as a hook/curl/flats defender in coverage. He has experience in all phases of special teams. Campbell is a mostly secure tackler with good hitting power.

Cons: Jack Campbell is guilty of playing reps through a straw and doesn’t demonstrate ideal spatial awareness when navigating through traffic. His angles can be hit or miss—he’s often too aggressive and doesn’t arrive to the football on schedule. His range is modest against the run and in coverage. He’s an active defender that is usually around the ball but his pursuit effort can be passive at times. For a linebacker of his stature, I expected more consistent block deconstruction ability; I didn’t find him getting out-physicaled when addressing blocks but he needs to develop more technique for stacking and shedding. He’s a bit high-hipped, which takes away from his ability to flip his hips, transition, and change directions.

Jack Campbell NFL Draft Scouting Report by Joe Marino
Thanks for the scouting report. That seems like a fair evaluation. You don't necessarily think great athlete watching his play, but gamer is a good description.

He probably will have to come off the field in passing downs but should be very good against the run.

I would prefer a 3 down guy if I am drafting an LB that high but he will be a solid NFL player.

I would try to improve the LB corps in FA with a solid vet who is not expensive.

I'm not high on Campbell... I think he'll top out as an Elandon Robert's clone-- two down run thumper.
Which to me, has a third day value at best.

I'm not high on Campbell... I think he'll top out as an Elandon Robert's clone-- two down run thumper.
Which to me, has a third day value at best.

It all depends on his athletic profile. He has really good size.

Not sure I buy Jack Campbell is only a two down linebacker.

But even if that were true - there’s a lot of linebackers in the draft you don’t even want on the field on 1st or 2nd down.

To’o To’o is particularly terrible. You name it, he’s bad at it.
What are your thoughts on Campbell?

What are your thoughts on Campbell?

Well I’m just saying all that 2 down nonsense is the same thing I heard last year about Leo Chenal and how Channing Tindall was better.

Chenal came in as a rookie and is starting for the team likely headed to the super bowl. I couldn’t stop laughing at all the false bravado about how Tindall was drafted by Miami to neutralize Josh Allen.

I plainly stated that drafting Tindall over Chenal was a mistake, followed by all the reasons why.

If you have a fetish for linebackers only focusing on 3rd down - you overlook the first 2 downs and end up with guys that can’t get on the field. You have to get the opposing offense into 3rd down first.

My position threads stickied at the top of the forum reflect my thoughts.

If we lose AVG, with that size Campbell could be a target for that role. But he must test well. AVG had 38 vert, 123 broad, and 6.89 three cone, 4.59 40.

Back
Top Bottom