Three Questions Regarding The Head Coach: | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Three Questions Regarding The Head Coach:

Da 'Fins said:
Three questions:

1. Do you think Saban is a good coach and a good choice for the Dolphins (yes, I know it's very premature - just curious)? Please offer a rationale, however brief, behind your choice.

I've noticed one or two guys on another list have a tremendous animosity toward Saban. Every chance they get they are just chomping at the bit to find a reason to criticize.

2. So, are you looking for Saban to bust?

3. How long are you willing to give Saban before you trash him?
a. Half a season
b. One year
c. Two years
d. Three years
e. More than three years

- - - - - - - -
Here's my opinion:
1. I thought Saban was a pretty good choice, given the options we had at the time (None of the Pats coaches were available to interview). The more I see the way he handles himself, the more I think he's a very good choice. He shows a lot more leadership than DW did, imo. It's still too early to prejudge him either way, of course. But, he seems so much more competent as a coach than DW EVER did.

2. I'm not looking for him to fail.

3. I am planning on giving him 3 years. I think that Wannspiel really hurt the team with their personnel decisions. The team has several flaws at key spots and has been aging in some of those areas. If DW can get five years, I'm willing to give Nick at least 3 before I'll really be critical of him as the coach. I'm sure there's some things I'll have wanted him to do a bit differently, but I will still support him as the head coach for the next 3 years and just see what happens.

1. Good coach, good choice- He has come in and made very deliberate objective moves. For all the media fuss, he's not been mean or disrespectful to them, just quiet in a "when I have something to tell you, you'll hear it" kind of way. He seems to treat players with respect and expectation. When they don't meet the expectation or do something to lose that respect, he doesn't waste time on them. And he clearly sends the message that someone is in charge and has a plan.

2. Of course not.

3. I'd say 2 years. Not a trip to the SB or anything, but if we're not significantly better in 2 years, I'd have to question his effectiveness. I mean, we really have nowhere to go but up!

1. yes, good choice and I hope the look I saw on Bellicheck's face and his comments are true..and understated !! The coaches St. Nick has brought in, his focus on discipline and coaching up gives me confidence we are going in the right direction. I would expect that we will quit shooting off our toes during the games with "unfocused" penalties.The upbeat practice that gets more done in the same amount of time as previous coaches and maybe other teams, with the entire focus on coaching and improving the players comforts me. We have a plan. Instead of "ok, lets put a team together and see what they throw at us" to "lets be the best we can be and see if they can stop us" I think the days of boring "don't lose" football are over. If all the players available to the NFL know that if they come to Miami they will have a chance at a championship and they will be coached up and made more valuable they will want to play here. I think our future is bright.
2. no
3. 3 years

Syra39 said:
1. YES

2. NO

3. 3 Years

3 years in the NFL is an eternity. With free agency and efficient drafting this team could compete next year. In 3 years he will have to re-tool the entire defense, because I don't see ZT, JT and Madison playing at the same level 3 yrs from now. Traylor won't be here and neither will Seau, Chester or Tebucky Jones.
Bates was correct about this team. Most of the young talent is concentrated in the offense.

igor79 said:
as long as he does better than 4-12 ill be happy

i think hes gotta do 6- 10 or better or ill be a little mad but still improvement is great

yankeehillbilly said:
He wasnt bad as an NFL coach either. His defense was the best in the league.

There is a big difference between being a DC and a head coach. Butch davis was a good DC and was not a good HC. bruce coslet was a good coordinator not good as a HC. same gos for pete carroll, dave campo, ect. ect.

Da 'Fins said:
Three questions:

1. Do you think Saban is a good coach and a good choice for the Dolphins (yes, I know it's very premature - just curious)? Please offer a rationale, however brief, behind your choice.

I think Saban is a good college coach w/ the potential to be a good NFL coach. With that being said I think he was the right hire for your team b/c college coaches can tend to relate to younger players faster. Plus your defense has a solid fondation from which he can build on while he works on the offense. I also think that the hiring makes sense b/c since Shula you tried the high profile NFL caoch (J.Johnson) and it failed, the high Profile Assistant Coach(Wanny) and it failed so I don't think your team was going to dip into those waters again.

Da 'Fins said:
2. So, are you looking for Saban to bust?

I'm a Bills fan so I'm not going to answer that

Da 'Fins said:
3. How long are you willing to give Saban before you trash him?
a. Half a season
b. One year
c. Two years
d. Three years
e. More than three years

I beleieve every new coach needs 3 years to get there team to the playoffs(or to at least be fighting for a playoff spot up to the final week then definate playoffs in the 4th year)

-First year is to draft and sign FA's to fix either the Defense or Offense
-Second Year is the draft and sign FA's for the side of the ball that you didn't address in year one
-Third year is to tie up all the loose ends on both sides of the ball

If by the forth year Saban has not got you into the playoffs he will more than likely be canned

1)I expect that hopefully he will be better than Wanny . Which should not be too hard. For the most part I liked his draft choices. Altough I think he may have dropped the ball by not getting a Qb. But that is a whole nother debate.

2) he deserves at least 3 years. Hell we gave Wanny more than that and he was a terrible coach.

godfater21 said:
There is a big difference between being a DC and a head coach. Butch davis was a good DC and was not a good HC. bruce coslet was a good coordinator not good as a HC. same gos for pete carroll, dave campo, ect. ect.

But you said that you wanted to wait on Charlie Weis.... However, he was never an NFL head coach either....in fact, he was never even a COLLEGE head coach until he took the job at Notre Dame.

yankeehillbilly said:
But you said that you wanted to wait on Charlie Weis.... However, he was never an NFL head coach either....in fact, he was never even a COLLEGE head coach until he took the job at Notre Dame.

So what is your point. he is the guy that i liked for the job. Read the whole thing. He said Saban was a good coach and his defense was number 1. saban was not the coach he was DC there was a big deference. my first post stated he was a good College coach but time will tell if he can do it in the pros or not. my second post in responce was to show just because he was a good NFL assitant does not mean he would be a good NFL coach. Yes, Weis could flop just as easy but he is the guy that i liked.

godfater21 said:
So what is your point. he is the guy that i liked for the job. Read the whole thing. He said Saban was a good coach and his defense was number 1. saban was not the coach he was DC there was a big deference. my first post stated he was a good College coach but time will tell if he can do it in the pros or not. my second post in responce was to show just because he was a good NFL assitant does not mean he would be a good NFL coach. Yes, Weis could flop just as easy but he is the guy that i liked.

Never said Saban was an NFL HEAD coach...just an NFL coach. An NFL Defensive Coordinator is a pro coach. My point was that I was wondering why you were using the lack of NFL HC experience in your reservations about Saban when the guy you wanted had the exact same deficiency. I thought that perhaps like a lot of people, you might have been unaware of Saban's stint in the NFL. If I was wrong, sorry.

yankeehillbilly said:
Never said Saban was an NFL HEAD coach...just an NFL coach. An NFL Defensive Coordinator is a pro coach. My point was that I was wondering why you were using the lack of NFL HC experience in your reservations about Saban when the guy you wanted had the exact same deficiency. I thought that perhaps like a lot of people, you might have been unaware of Saban's stint in the NFL. If I was wrong, sorry.

I did not use the lack of NFL HC in a negative about Saban. i said he was a great College coach and time will tell how he does as a pro HC. how was that a negative?

Back
Top Bottom