thumbs down for Oronde | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

thumbs down for Oronde

NYDolfan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've been a Gadsden fan from day one. Hard working, good guy, makes clutch plays, good hands, all that. However, at this point I don't think signing him is a good idea for these reasons:

1) Derrius Thompson and J.R. Tolver are similar players (big and sure handed, but not fast) who are younger.

2) Between those two, Chambers and McKnight, that's 4 good receivers. We've got Simmons from last year's draft, Jackson from the arena league, Baker and Newson from Europe to battle for the 5th spot. Considering they plan on using McMichael in 4 receiver sets instead of a 4th WR, a 5th receiver isn't even important except for injury insurance and special teams (which both Baker and Newson have excelled and Gadsden is too slow for).

3) Gadsden is 31 and coming off wrist surgery - not a good thing for a guy known exclusively his hands. He also, as Howard David on WQAM put it, "Has 70 year old feet."

4) Once they sign the rookies, there will be very little money left to sign a "street veteran" in case of a training camp injury (inevitable). Signing Gadsden, even to the veteran minimum, would likely eat up what's left.

i If Marino ever had half the team around him that Joe Montana had, he'd have a ring for every finger

WHy is this nonsense always brought up? Dan had his chances. He is to blame as much and probably more for the lack of championships in Miami. To think that the Dolphins and the management colluded to screw him is just silly. They gave him everything they cloud and it didn't get done.

Typical excuses made:

No running game....well if you watch some of the old games it is glaringly apparent that Dan's handoffs were terrible and tipped of the opposing defense to what play was coming. Plus, linemen were Pavlovianly reactionary to a guy who audibled out of running plays willy nilly. They were always anticipating pass.

No Defense. - BS it wasn't the defense who choked many times in big games. There is blame to go all around

Bad coaching - Really? When? When players fail to perform coaches are often blamed for their laziness of lack of commitment

Shula became comfortable with Dan - that was his mistake

JJ failed to cut Dan that was his mistake.

RBS I think you are in the wrong post. :lol:

I agree NYDolfan. OG had his chances with this team. He should have excepted what they offered last year and everything would be ok but that was not good enough. Now he is a 31 year old without a team and I think the Fins should tell him to go to hell at this point.

Originally posted by RBS
i If Marino ever had half the team around him that Joe Montana had, he'd have a ring for every finger

WHy is this nonsense always brought up? Dan had his chances. He is to blame as much and probably more for the lack of championships in Miami. To think that the Dolphins and the management colluded to screw him is just silly. They gave him everything they cloud and it didn't get done.

Typical excuses made:

No running game....well if you watch some of the old games it is glaringly apparent that Dan's handoffs were terrible and tipped of the opposing defense to what play was coming. Plus, linemen were Pavlovianly reactionary to a guy who audibled out of running plays willy nilly. They were always anticipating pass.

No Defense. - BS it wasn't the defense who choked many times in big games. There is blame to go all around

Bad coaching - Really? When? When players fail to perform coaches are often blamed for their laziness of lack of commitment

Shula became comfortable with Dan - that was his mistake

JJ failed to cut Dan that was his mistake.

There is some validity to your statement about Dan...He deserves some of the blame. But the players drafted and the schemes used by the coaches are not his decisions. I remember the many RB busts that were drafted.

Coaching as far as the OC not executing a balanced gameplan (poor RBs and O Line???) Tom Olivadumbass consistently putting out a horrendous D. Think back to the last 2 years Dan was playing in...Most of the games we scored around 20 points...but there were quite a few where we scored mid to high 30s...If we can score that much, why couldn't the D protect it?

I think Dans only true weakness was that he didn't beg and plead to get a more balanced O earlier in his career with Shula. By the time JJ got here the D was the primary concern and thats what JJ concentrated on even though he tried to draft a decent RB (Avery...Collins).

Wrong thread guys, this one is about Oronde Gadsden, not Dan Marino.

Now about OG, I like his skill set. I really do. But I am so sick and tired of seeing crap about him right now. Right now he is not a Dolphin. We have offered him a contract in which he hasn't signed. I think we have a set of WR's that can do the job and more. I don't see OG having any loyalty to the Dolphins what so ever. We offered him a 3 year contract with a $750,000 signing bonus and he gave us the finger and walked out on our season. That is what I call greed. He left us when we needed him the most. Well now the tables are turned and he cant get a contract to tie someone's shoes. Guess who I'm giving the finger to now? To me it comes down to respect. Not about money, but about honor of someone. He did not respect the needs of the Dolphins last year, but now he wants the Dolphins to respect him and give him big bucks? Nah......respect is earned. And he lost mine last year.

However RBS was talking about NYDolfan's signature tag which shouldn't be in this thread at all.

I've been a Gadsden fan from day one. Hard working, good guy, makes clutch plays, good hands, all that. However, at this point I don't think signing him is a good idea for these reasons:

1) Derrius Thompson and J.R. Tolver are similar players (big and sure handed, but not fast) who are younger.

2) Between those two, Chambers and McKnight, that's 4 good receivers. We've got Simmons from last year's draft, Jackson from the arena league, Baker and Newson from Europe to battle for the 5th spot. Considering they plan on using McMichael in 4 receiver sets instead of a 4th WR, a 5th receiver isn't even important except for injury insurance and special teams (which both Baker and Newson have excelled and Gadsden is too slow for).

3) Gadsden is 31 and coming off wrist surgery - not a good thing for a guy known exclusively his hands. He also, as Howard David on WQAM put it, "Has 70 year old feet."

4) Once they sign the rookies, there will be very little money left to sign a "street veteran" in case of a training camp injury (inevitable). Signing Gadsden, even to the veteran minimum, would likely eat up what's left.

:up: I agree 100% , Now some one tell Wandstedt that.

You know what would be funny though, If we sign him and then we cut him last cuts just for jerkin us around . We can only hope.

OG has toe-berculosis and great hands

he is very much needed if Ears remains QB.

Originally posted by NYDolfan

Sorry bro but its thumbs up for Oronde here!

Lets go through through your mistakes....

1) "Derrius Thompson and J.R. Tolver are similar players (big and sure handed, but not fast) who are younger."

How is this so? A few minicamps with no pads and JR tolver is as good as Gadsden??? Derruis Thompson had 6 last good games and hes as good as Gadsden already???

2)"Between those two, Chambers and McKnight, that's 4 good receivers. We've got Simmons from last year's draft, Jackson from the arena league, Baker and Newson from Europe to battle for the 5th spot. Considering they plan on using McMichael in 4 receiver sets instead of a 4th WR, a 5th receiver isn't even important except for injury insurance and special teams (which both Baker and Newson have excelled and Gadsden is too slow for)."

We've got SIMMONS from last year's draft....just what exactly has he done to make you comfortable?? He didnt even make the roster and i dont think he will this year either........Jackson, from what I heard hes having a bad MINI-CAMP.....Baker and Newsome, Cmon now, 2 NFLE recievers battling for a 5th spot??? theres got to be something wrong if you got 2 NFLE players battling for a spot on your roster.....Besides youve seen what Baker can do in the NFL...1 catch....and please dont tell me some NFLE experiance has made him better.....McMicheal becoming a 4th WR doesnt make me comfortable, and a 5th WR is really important if you look at what happened last yr....

3)"Gadsden is 31 and coming off wrist surgery - not a good thing for a guy known exclusively his hands. He also, as Howard David on WQAM put it, "Has 70 year old feet."

Well #3...you may have a point...but even here, you really dont need 25 yr old feet in the redzone....

4)"Once they sign the rookies, there will be very little money left to sign a "street veteran" in case of a training camp injury (inevitable). Signing Gadsden, even to the veteran minimum, would likely eat up what's left."

Little money left this yr? oh well who cares, theres nobody out there to despretaly go after.....an Insurance in the WR position is a great investment.....

All in All I dont mean to sound like Im stepping on anybodys toes, we all have our own opinions, but this stuff kind of makes things go sour....I too have been a Gadsden supporter and still am.....I think everybody is looking out for their own interest (including Gadsden) ...Im sure we'd try to go for the best deal on the table also....but its one thing he's playing hard to get, and its another his agent is a dumb ***.

Thumbs UP for Oronde's return.

My concern is that he has not played in a good while, as well as the injury. He will have to work hard before the season begins to get back in shape (physically and mentally) for the season. All in all, I feel he will contribute big time to our team. Thumbs way up!

Pred as I keep saying. How about them 38 yards per game and 0 td's in 6 games. He's an old declining injury concerned WR whose only attributes were that he has good hands but no speed/seperation/route running ability to use that to his advantage and his one trick pony of an end zone target ended at the end of 2001 as teams started to catch on to the whole "toss up in the corner for O.G".

I'm with Pred on this one. You guys were all love for OG prior to his injury. Now everyone wants to sell him out.

OG has had plenty of big games for the fish.

The competition is good at the position. If he is healthy enough and good enough to beat out the others, than he deserves it. I like that idea better than sitting here with no depth in case some of these "no pad, mini camp heros" don't pan out.

In the end the best will make it.

Competition is the key word. If he can earn his spot back from the rookies then let it be so. If not, then he will be let loose. No harm in trying tho and he does help the team too jell I think. We shall see....

They better not cut Tolver to make room for Gasden.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom