Titans are screwed next year! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Titans are screwed next year!

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
Titans | Future Salary Cap Trouble - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:12:26 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans will have seven players scheduled to account for $56.2 million in salary cap room for 2004. These players include DE Kevin Carter ($11.8 mil), QB Steve McNair ($10.8 mil) CB Samari Rolle ($8.6 mil), RB Eddie George ($7.6 mil), OT Brad Hopkins ($6.6 mil), OT Fred Miller ($6.4 mil), and WR Derrick Mason ($4.8 mil).

Hahahaha... say bye-bye to four or five of these guys next season.

They will all restructure as none of them will be worth much on the open market except, perhaps, McNair.

Originally posted by muddaconch
They will all be worth something on the open market, IMO.

Of course they'll be worth something it just doesn't happen to be much.

-Mason's good but not a star.
-Carter and Rolle have both lost a step.
-George is no better than a backup on most teams right now.
-Neither Hopkins or Miller have done much in the past couple of years.

McNair's only worth anything because he's a QB who's shown that he can be good and that he's tough. Even he's lost a couple of steps and has more injuries mounting just on him than most other football teams have collectively.

McNair's the only guy who's actually worth the kind of money he's making. Eddie George is going to be a big deal. He's nowhere near what he was. That's a tough move to make from a personal standpoint. But they've got to start looking at the future soon.

George will be cut and the RT of that pair, I forget his name will be cut. Rolle will be locked up long term and re-structured and that is all. Not a horrible situation or anything.

Titans drafted a rb this year also. They had the most first year starts of any playoff team last season. McNair is what their season hinges on, his health and Ty Callico stepping in as rook speed wr to keep focus off Mason and blitzers back honest in covergae and off McNair.

Saw Eddie taking pay cut last year by mid season this one. Think it will be done and he will stay. He still blocks great for blitz pickup and can catch. He isnt a workhorse anymore, but is a solid vet.

I'm working on a Titans cap spreadsheet..........it ain't pretty :lol:

Most the high cap players will not be released because they have too much bonus amortization due to multiple restructurings and it wouldn't translate to much in the ways of cap savings prior to June 1, 2004. Thus, I believe that DE Jevon Kearse will become UFA after this season if he doesn't sign an extension soon. Titans will not have the $7.5 million(approx.) it will take to "franchise" him.

Excuse me, Mr. Kearse.......this way to the Ralph! :)

They have Hall at de who played well in his stead, and will leverage him lower unless freak has a dynamite season again. Cap problems are way overblown the Raiders proved that this year.

Every cap situation is different. Titans have much more cap space tied up in bonus amortization which doesn't disappear. Raiders had a lot in salary and roster bonuses which can disappear

If I were the Titans, I'd go out of my way to keep McNair and Kearse, two Pro Bowl type players. The rest of the players on that list aren't special.

after kearse got hurt he wasnt the same, lets see him play with a full-season under his belt, if hes not up to the same caliber he was pre-injury (had a broken foot i believe), then he could be a bargain next time around

Back
Top Bottom