TJ McDonald's non-INT..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TJ McDonald's non-INT.....

THE OG CANEPHINS

formally known as CANEPHINS
Reaction score
Am I the only one convinced that this was an INT and that there wasn't enough there to overturn the call on the field of an interception. In the whole scheme of things it might not have changed the outcome of the game, but it was a momentum and spirit killer for us. Cam went into full meltdown mode after that, especially coming off the 2 other dropped passes, and we had the positive turn we needed. To me it looks like he had his hands under the ball and the ball never moved when it came in contact with his body and the ground. That is a catch. They never showed evidence that said otherwise. Maybe I am missing something but it looked like a clear INT until Gruden said they should overturn it, which they did.

Found it weird they really didn't show the replay much at all after returning from commercial.

But the last shot before commercial I thought it looked like the ball clearly hit the ground and aided the process of the catch (shame we have to use this type of terminology for NFL rules of what is a catch).

Still Would of liked another look.

Nah, you could see the ball hit the ground to assist him catching it. Would’ve been awesome for him, first game back, the play after Cam was laughing and being his ****y self after ducking McDonald’s hit

Found it weird they really didn't show the replay much at all after returning from commercial.

But the last shot before commercial I thought it looked like the ball clearly hit the ground and aided the process of the catch (shame we have to use this type of terminology for NFL rules of what is a catch).

Still Would of liked another look.

As far as determining what is a catch...

Ground Contact Doesn’t Knock the Ball Loose
If a receiver secures control of a pass, then either falls or is knocked to the ground, but maintains control of the ball, the catch is legal, provided that all other elements of the catch rule are satisfied. This rule applies even if the ball touches the field as the receiver falls to the ground. For example, a pass is ruled complete if a player dives, secures the ball in his hands, then the ball touches the ground as the player lands, as long as the receiver maintains “complete and continuous control” of the ball.

From the original view it looks like a catch. From the side the ball was on the ground but at the same time his hands were under the ball and the ball didn't look like it moved. By that rule it should have been an INT.

The fact we didn't even get more views or an any announcement afterwards was weird as well. Just here comes the O and D back onto the field.

Nah, you could see the ball hit the ground to assist him catching it. Would’ve been awesome for him, first game back, the play after Cam was laughing and being his ****y self after ducking McDonald’s hit

See my other reply. That is fine as long as he maintains control and the ball isn't moving. Sure didn't look like it was moving based on the angles we had.

Wasn't a catch....I rewound and watched at least 6 times trying to convince myself it should be but could see the ball touch the ground and him not have full control of it.

As far as determining what is a catch...

From the original view it looks like a catch. From the side the ball was on the ground but at the same time his hands were under the ball and the ball didn't look like it moved. By that rule it should have been an INT.

The fact we didn't even get more views or an any announcement afterwards was weird as well. Just here comes the O and D back onto the field.

Very interesting reading the official explanation. It appeared his hands were on it before it hit the ground. But it seems like any time there is any ground contact at all that they call it incomplete

I thought, based on the last replay they showed before the commercial break, that the ball definitely hit the floor. He didn't have control of the ball until after.

That was not an interception, the ball moved when it touched the ground. The mcafree play, there wasn't enough there to overturn. Offense was putrid and the defense stayed in the locker room at halftime.

Ball clearly hit the ground, I thought.

However on the flip side, I also thought that the McCaffrey TD was a non-catch.

Back
Top Bottom