To hell with Meadows-Diem might be available | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

To hell with Meadows-Diem might be available

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Link

This article lays out the troubles that are brewing in Indianapolis.

There is a full fledged Kmart blue light special in Indy!

Don't look at the terd that got replaced (Meadows).

Does anyone remember the game? Did Diem play guard or tackle against the Dolphins? I've found him listed as a guard and a tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to what I've seen Diem is a guard but beat Meadows for the RT spot.

I just made a big post about this in the newest Peyton thread. What I was trying to say is that keeping Peyton is achievable...because if they cut Adam Meadows ($5m base salary), Brock Huard ($5m base), and Chad Bratzke ($4.5m base), then restructue/cut Stokley ($1.2m base), and restructure both CB Walt Harris ($2.2m base) and WR Marvin Harrison ($5.6m base), they'll probably have saved about that $18 million dollars they need for Peyton's franchise figure. That article doesnt say how close to the cap they are above or below, and I dont know myself.

But it also means they are penned up about their RFAs. They have 4 major RFAs, only 3 of which would be of use to us. Dominic Rhodes, Rick DeMulling, Ryan Diem, and Nick Harper.

The guy I like best of all of them is Nick Harper. He's young and he really excelled last year. As for Ryan Diem according to NFL.com's gamebook Diem started at RT in the game against us. He started 8 games as a rookie and 16 games as a 2nd year I believe at RG but this season he started 13 games at RT I believe. I've looked at the game book for Week 1 against the Browns and he started at RT in that game, and in Week 9 against the Phins he was still starting at RT. This season according to STATS Inc he allowed 4 sacks and had 6 penalties called against him. Thats the most he's had in a season, the penalties...might have been him being a bit uncomfortable with the tackle position.

Him playing RT was a combination of the Colts feeling more comfortable with him at RT than Meadows, and the fact that Steve Sciullo really came on as a rookie and they felt comfortable him playing at RG as a rookie.

The guy I like I think is Rick DeMulling. He's started the last 30 games for the Colts at LG and he's allowed only 3 sacks in all that time, and has only gotten 1 penalty in all that time too...this season an 8 yard holding penalty.

Also keep in mind that Edgerrin ran for 5.1 yards a pop on the left side, where DeMulling is, but only ran 3.1 yards per in the middle, and only 3.0 yards per to the right.

In 2002 with DeMulling manning the LG position, Edge ran 4.0 to the left, 3.9 middle, and 4.0 to the right.

To me this means DeMulling is adequate at run blocking AND pass protection, and Diem is most likely a guy you should keep at RG rather than RT.

Also looking at the other RBs in Indy, Mungro, Williams, and Rhodes...they all had about the same breakdown as James from Left to Right...the Colts overall this season much better at running left than through the middle or to the right.

Diem and Demullings are guys I would like to look at. Meadows, no. Hopefully the Dolphins take a look.

Yup I'd like for us to spend our FA money on guards. Skilled guards always come cheaper then most other positions.

At guard this offseason we could find ourselves lookin at a number of different prospects. DeMulling and Bennie Anderson from Baltimore are both RFAs. Then there's Villarial and Timmerman as free agents.

The bonus about a guy like Timmerman is yeah he's old but you could use that to negotiate down his price and he could play at a pretty nice level for a few years until we think guys like Whitley and Yates might be ready...or maybe some other dudes we draft. Might be the same with Villarial he's been around a while I think...and don't just shy away from him because he's a Bear. He was always the better of the two between himself and Todd Perry, and besides when we got Perry we ended up getting exactly what we knew he was in Chicago...a workmanlike dude who isn't a star but is pretty consistently mediocre. Villarial is better than Perry was.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The guy I like I think is Rick DeMulling. He's started the last 30 games for the Colts at LG and he's allowed only 3 sacks in all that time, and has only gotten 1 penalty in all that time too...this season an 8 yard holding penalty.

ummmm, in this post season, he gave up a sack or two and a bunch of plays to a rookie from LSU from the Pats. a rookie who didnt play all year long.

Originally posted by finfan54

ummmm, in this post season, he gave up a sack or two and a bunch of plays to a rookie from LSU from the Pats. a rookie who didnt play all year long.

Yea...Jarvis Green, wasnt it? Dude had like 3 sacks in that game from what i recall.

Colts just cleared about $5 million by doing simple restructures on a number of veterans. As was stated already, they will save nearly $15 million once they release Bratzke, Meadows, and Huard. They have the cap space now to tag Manning and put a #1 tender on Diem, but their other RFAs and UFAs will remain vulnerable if they cannot re-sign Manning long-term.

Back
Top Bottom