Todays the day..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todays the day.....

We upgraded at OC/RB

Chester is a downgrade at DT. While Gardener is a upgrade as a run stopping DE but health is a major concern.
Leon Searcy/Robert Edwards has yet to upgrade this team and their health is a huge question mark.
Arturo is going into his first year as a starter and may or may not be better then Walker. Only time will tell.
The rest of your list are scrubs at this point

Beyond Williams/Turner the rest of your list is either a downgrade or a big question mark.

How is that improving the team?

This is essentially the same team that has been whooped in previous playoff years with a much better RB and a much better Offensive Coordinator. However we have lost depth at safety/DE. This team is only marginally better at this point.

I think we should sign Coleman, try to get John Fina, and perhaps work the waiver wire a little and attempt to get an Antonio Freemen. Just a thought.

Would a twightwad offer Olin Kreutz more money than any other center in the history of the league has been offered? I don't think so...

Twightwads don't go out and obtain the best offensive coordinator on the market (Norv Turner)

Twightwads don't make any trades for any big name players (We obtained Ricky Williams)

Twightwads don't re-sign all of their best players when their contracts run out (We have re-signed Thomas, Surtain, Madison, Taylor, Mare, Marion, etc. over the past few years)

The men in charge of the Phins right now are NOT twightwads.

I would offer Marco Coleman a 1 year, 1 million dollar contract. I think we do need to bring in a solid backup at DE, and Coleman would certainly fit the bill. However, I do not think we should overpay for Coleman just because the Eagles are willing and able to do so...

We'll be fine...

Ugh you guys are missing the point. Everyone around here is talking about why we shouldn't go after Coleman and it's always "money" as the reason. Never the talent as Coleman is just 2 years away from his last probowl. If you think Philly is going to offer more then the phins could afford to pay then either A) That person is nuts B) Philly is nuts or C) the phins have turned into tightwads down the stretch overestimating the true value of the market right now because that market isn't as bad as last years.

ugh Van ,you dont get it ..its way to early for all this crap we have a good team and we are better than last year by far! You act like getting ricky is an afterthought and i can assure you its not ! Upgrade is the understatement of the year in this case, we went from a used ford to a mercedes as far as im concerned ...and YOUR IDIOTIC view on the salary cap proves to me you know very little about how the system works ...It is the 53 HIGHEST salaries that make up the numbers and you cant just cut people with out ramifications...We could be responsible for signing bonuses and such ..you dont always dump all of a players cost against the cap by getting rid of him !!!Cole man and others will find it hard to land big contracts in this years tight salary cap.... THAT is why we are SMART about the way we operate or TEAM ...Might i remind you that a fiscally tight team with lowpriced ...veteran additions won the superbowl?or didnt you watch last years games? If anyone is overestimating the value of players out there its YOU. Our team is doing what it takes to better this team for now AND the FUTURE!!! I dont want another freeagent season like shulas last it was a damn shame and screwed us for years money wise...Take a lesson from others on this board and make sure you know what the heck your talking about before you spend all this time beating the drum .

MONEY?

Originally posted by ArkansasDolfan2
I think we should sign Coleman, try to get John Fina, and perhaps work the waiver wire a little and attempt to get an Antonio Freemen. Just a thought.

Where is the money tree that the fins will need to pay these guys?:confused:

I just wanted to point out that Arturo Freeman started several games last year due to Marion and Walker being injured. He not only held his own, but he excelled.

Freeman will be an upgrade over Walker, I am calling it right here and now.

As far as signing Coleman, well, in all honesty we can't afford more then 1 mill a year, unless we cut Todd Perry.

Someone else already(correctly) posted that we need about 1.5 mill to sign the rookies, and then another 500k or so for injury settlements throughout camp. That only leaves us with about 1 million, so that's all we have to offer.

I don't want to go cutting a healthy O lineman at this point. Especially one who was under performing all last season due to injury, and his mom dying of cancer.

Burnett will have to do.

VanDolPhan Post
Ugh you guys are missing the point. Everyone around here is talking about why we shouldn't go after Coleman and it's always "money" as the reason. Never the talent as Coleman is just 2 years away from his last probowl. If you think Philly is going to offer more then the phins could afford to pay then either A) That person is nuts B) Philly is nuts or C) the phins have turned into tightwads down the stretch overestimating the true value of the market right now because that market isn't as bad as last years.

VanDolPhan, what I think you miss is that we're trying to sign a backup DE..I said this in another post...

"But remember, we're just looking for a good backup right now, who can play every down if needed. Coleman is young enough to want to start..We don't need problems with a player who's not satisfied with his role..I think Burnett would be more comfortable in this role right now. I do like Coleman, but that may invite trouble if he's looking to get paid and want to start. If he shows he can do like Trace great, but if he intends to start, he should go somewhere where he can do that, it's only fair to him."

So why go after him with big money and have to cut other good players, when he's not a starter for us. Just a backup, who may or may not have to play everydown, based on DG health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Badfoot your post doesn't deserve a response. So I forgot about the 53 rule with the salary cap. That doesn't warrant your piece of sh*t post.

It still doesn't neglect the fact that by cutting Perry/Ogden that more then gives us plenty of room to work with. Unless you want Perry as a million dollar + backup. Their contracts ARE within the top 53. So is Cade McSucks. The ones I was wrong with were the min ones because YES I forgot.

VanDolPhan, what I think you miss is that we're trying to sign a backup DE..I said this in another post...

Yes but the point I have been harping on constantly is that Gardener is a huge health risk and chances are he will go down again this year for significant time and possibly be cut after this season. My fears have also been proven correct as it looks like we are going to sign Burnett to a "multi year" contract. I don't have the faith in Burnett to be the guy if Gardener goes down and the risk is high on that.

Coleman on the other hand has only been contacted by 2 teams. Us and the Jaguars. Philly hasn't even contacted him yet. It's worth a shot. That's all I am saying. The cash situation IS NOT that bad. Christ we were 17 million over at one point this offseason. So 3.071 million under is clear sailing EVEN with injury coverage and the 5 rookies who shouldn't cost more then 1.3 million combined.

I am not going to be here and be the blind "rah rah rah" phin fan. At the same time I won't be the type like dolphinshater 13 and diss the phins every chance I get. I am a realist. I just don't see us getting past the AFC championship game if Gardener goes down and not having a solid caliber DE in his place.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a matter of you being blind, I understand your concern, but did you notice that coleman wants to start..Miami will not gurantee him that,,My point is if he's disgrutled about not starting will that cause problems in the locker room...Second, I point out we're signing a backup,,David and Algewa (sp) could be the right people, but since this is a serious season, I think Dave wants a Vet. but I think JT was baptised by fire and so should DB and Al get the chance..But for OL, we need to see where they're at..I think we got rid of Webb and K. Donally too soon and see how that ended up...Let Todd try without all the distractions he had last year. It may pay dividends. If we sign Coleman to a big contract and DG holds on for the year, then we'll have to cut coleman next year and be back in the same situation we're in now. But the difference is we have better draft numbers, another FA gency and june cut 2003 to address the situation. We just need a role DE and trust that D boston can handle the situation if he gets a chance. These guys get paid a lot, even rookie money is good for the average person and better than most of average will ever make in one year, maybe 10.

DAMN

People are testy around here, wish football would start already,:)

Back
Top Bottom