Tony Wise criticism... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tony Wise criticism...

Exactly CK. The problem last year was injuries which has already been stated. Every guy on the line missed time last season except for Perry and he had a bad knee and back plus his mother was dieing. Ruddy was coming off shoulder surgery and messed up his knee and missed a game, Wade miss half of training camp with a bad ankle and then hurt his knee during the season and missed a game, Dixon well you know and hell we had a 3rd string LT. Just because guys can play doesn't mean they are healthy enough to be effective. Last year we had a guy just hanging on in Swayne backing up RT & LT, Irwin backing up LG, Andrews backing up C & RG. Not much depth to speak of at all. This year we could have backups consisiting of all of guys who have played considerable time in the NFL, big difference in depth.

True but I'm not so quick to buy the injury excuse. OLmen are always injured. I think in the wake of their terrible performance people have been searching for an excuse and have latched onto the injury excuse too much. I just don't think that Tony Wise's blocking techniques worked well with Chan Gailey's style of running or Lamar Smith's style of running. There's the style mismatch between the two coordinators and Lamar Smith, then there's the fact that we really did have 8 men in the box most of the time, etc. I don't accept the injury excuse cuz guess what we're still facing injuries this year and probably will be in about the same boat. BUT the improved depth will most definitely help that.

First off Lamar's "style" of running last year was abyssmal. I was very disappointed in him last year. I understand your point of the schemes matching up but I don't think you can minimize the injuries. Yeah O-lineman always play hurt BUT they usually aren't to the stage where they miss games and are listed on the injury list every week. They play banged up and you never know about it.

They often make the injury list. Dixon ended up out for the year but he was healthy before that and the running attack took no noticeable dip after he left. It sucked while he was there and sucked when he left. It sucked when Spriggs was in and it sucked when Folau was in. It sucked before Perry started fighting injuries and it sucked afterward. And Wade was hardly ever, IF ever, listed on the injury report. Tim Ruddy to my knowledge really was not fighting anything worthy of note.

Wade and Ruddy both missed games with knee injuries.

Fair enough about your point of the running game sucking before and after things. The thing is the running game was never really any good in 2000. I mean Smith had some real nice games but he had many terrible ones also. Good running games don't go from one extreme to the other.

Ck the thing is continuity...how can an o-line jell when one guy is in one week and the next week he's out..there is a difference when u see a Folau beside you instead of a Dixon..If the guys play with each other frequently they get to know each other and can compensate for another's weakness now thats an o-line..talent isnt everything..Last eyar the o-line had trouble getting into a rythm..no constitency or continuity..now can that be blamed on Tony Wise..not entirely..injuries do play a big factor in that...

Well yes, they do. Awesome running games don't but often even good backs can have bad games. Agree that Smith was inconsistent in 2000 however our running game helped a lot and bailed us out of a few games even.

I mean we had some good running days this year and it had a lot more to do with our style matching up well against the defense...like when we bludgeoned New England and their 3-4 defense the first time around. And when we bludgeoned the Colts. Then we just ran all over the Bills in the last regular season game. To me this says that it was most definitely more than just injury...since we had injured players in all three games on the line and it would be hard to call one line 'healthier' than an other. To me it points to variability based on Mr. Hot-and-Cold Lamar Smith, as well as the defensive formations/personnel. The 2nd time against New England our running game sucked...and Bill Belichick had changed the scheme. We sucked against the same personnel against the colts...could one line have been called healthy and the other not? Same thing with the Bills, one game hot another cold.

As I pointed out on the Heraldtalk board a long time ago when rumors of Ricky Williams first started (actually a little bit before, I was trying to point out how inconsistent Lamar Smith is and tried to find someone to compare him to and out of interest of the Ricky trade rumors circulating well over a year ago, I compared him to Ricky), statistically over his career Ricky Williams has been pretty painfully consistent. The standard deviations on his ypc output in games is so much lower than Lamar its ridiculous.

So given all that, we solved one problem by getting a consistent runner, and hopefully Norv's offense solves the mismatch problem. The injury problem may or may not be solved but in all honesty I don't think that matters much. Like I said we sucked before injuries, we sucked during injuries, and after...even had some good games after injuries and lots of bad ones before injury.

......and so you blame Tony Wise for this??

Come on now dude.
Wise is proven. The argument that Wise is the weak link to getting our running game back on track just doesn't make sense to me.
How difficult can his blocking schemes be?

I didn't say I blamed Wise. I said that his blocking schemes may or may not have been incompatible with Chan Gailey's running system.

OK.........

Isn't this something that coaches should pick up on during practices? I'm thinking that something like this would be hard to diagnose being just a fan of a sport. Stats can't prove this. It is something that you have to be on the field or reviewing tape and pointing out.

Just in my opinion of course.

Back
Top Bottom