Tooting my own horn (don't click if not interested in reading about how right I was) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tooting my own horn (don't click if not interested in reading about how right I was)

BigBoy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that while everyone was clamoring "Done Deal!" prior to 6/1, and even after it, I came in here and said "Sign Griese with WHAT MONEY?"

WHAT MONEY!?!?!

Now, that being said, I hope the deal gets done. But a former starter and self absorbed jerk like Griese wasn't exactly going to walk in here and take back-up money. I just don't know where everyone thought the money was going to come from.

Sorry, having a bad day and it's the only thing that I can toot my own horn about. And it's a freaking negative at that.

BAH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Point!

Originally posted by BigBoy
Now...a former starter and self absorbed jerk like Griese wasn't exactly going to walk in here and take back-up money.

How true! How true!

I was hoping the guy would wake up after getting fired by the Broncos, but I guess I was wrong. The guy is going to be a cancer and not a team player! I hope we don't sign him! There is not much out there after him and I don't know if Akili Smith would be any better than Lucas, but I am getting to the point where I am willing to take a chance on someone else! Screw Griese!

Steve

Where does it say we don't have enough money to sign him? The sticking point is that he wants more than we are WILLING to offer, not more than we CAN offer.

You don't think if we were 20 million under the cap the deal would be done?

No.....It doesn't matter how far under the cap we are, Spielman is not going to pay more than what he feels Griese is worth. Period.

We could easily fit what they are asking for under the cap. Most of the incentives would be NLTBE, so if he did hit them it wouldn't have any effect until next year anyway......at least that's the way I understand it.....if I'm wrong, clump will be here any minute to straighten me out.:D

InFIN - I know what you're saying, and you're right, WannSpiel is notorius for not overpaying...but if the money were there I don't think this would be dragging out.

IMO.

There's no way to know - and the situation is that he's not signed, the issue is money, and none of that has changed in the last few days.

Obviously the team knew it had to get someone, and there's good reason to think Griese would work well... Losing Ray Lucas early was a sign they were gonna do something...

But many people here and on other boards just figured Griese was sitting around waiting for the day he would sign a contract here... Now

Originally posted by inFINSible
No.....It doesn't matter how far under the cap we are, Spielman is not going to pay more than what he feels Griese is worth. Period.

We could easily fit what they are asking for under the cap. Most of the incentives would be NLTBE, so if he did hit them it wouldn't have any effect until next year anyway......at least that's the way I understand it.....if I'm wrong, clump will be here any minute to straighten me out.:D

:couch:

seriously, some would be LTBE and the rest NLTBE. Look at his 2002 stats, he would need to exceed those numbers in order to kick in the NLTBE. Fins don't have much cap space right now, that's why they are only offering minimum salary of $530,000 and $1 million signing bonus and $$ for incentives that will kick in next year, not this year.

So then 59% of the plays would be LTBE because of the percentage he played last year??

acording to the fins they have about $2.3 mil to spend on a back up qb.. according to wanny. what his agent is asking fits under the cap. his agent knows our cap situation, the hold up is what each party feels he is worth.. speilman is not gonna just throw money out because it is there. he will only pay what he feels a player is worth. weather he has 100 mill under the cap or not.

I believe so :D

Again, y'all don't have much cap space right now. $2.737 million according to Clayton's(or Len P's) article about Griese/Fins negotiations. You will need about $1 million of that for the draft choices signing bonus amortization. That leaves only $1.737 million. Miami is reported as offering $530,000 salary and $1 million signing bonus over a 2 yr deal, that would be a $1.03 million cap number but because of the top 51 rule, would only count $730,000 on your cap right now (doesn't qualify for vets exclusion because 1) it;s a 2 yr deal and 2) bonuses > $25,000 ). At $730,000, that leaves ya $1.007 million under and LTBE count vs cap NOW because they are "likely-to-be-earned". Thus, this results in the need to have the incentives be NLTBE for 2 reasons: 1) in case Griese plays a lot the 2003 cap is NOT impacted, only the 2004 cap and 2) if he doesn't play at all, Miami would receive a NLTBE "credit" on the 2004 cap

How ridiculous is that?? I mean can you really consider 60% of the plays a LTBE incentive for a BACK-UP?? That sucks!

That's how the rules are written

But then, hypothetically say Griese doesn't play in 2003........he could sign a deal next off-season that has NLTBE payable in 2005 and he would only need to throw 1 TD pass in 2004 because he had 0 TDs in 2003. Redskins used this with Stephen Davis when he signed that big deal a couple of seasons ago, he had not caught a TD pass the year before. They wrote a NLTBE clause that he receive $1.5 million for catching a TD pass........he never did and Redskins got a $1.5 million credit

Back
Top Bottom