Top 10 Dolphins players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 10 Dolphins players

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Everyone do your list of the top 10 players on the Dolphins based on talent. Here is mine:

1. Sam Madison, CB - He is one of the best corners in the league if not the best, he is always with the WR and rarely allows who he is covering to make the catch.

2. Jason Taylor, DE - His sack numbers are down from last season, but this year he will have a better rush from the other side in either Williams or Burnett which would take the double teams away, which will allow him to get more sacks. He is also good against the run. He is a complete defensive end.

3. Zach Thomas, MLB - Thomas is a tackling machine. He is one of the best in the game today and he continues to make big stops. He will be benefitted this year by having two good healthy DTs in front of him.

4. Ricky Williams, RB - Williams is a great running back who will have a career year. He can overpower defenders. He can catch the ball well as well. However, he doesn't have good breakaway speed, so he won't make the big play, but he will constantly gain yardage on each play.

5. Patrick Surtain, CB - Some say he is better than his opposite, Sam Madison, but all will say he is close. He is a more physical corner than Sam Madison, but his coverage skills aren't as good.

6. Chris Chambers, WR - He has great speed and catches the ball very well. He made some great plays in his rookie year and lead the league in yards per catch. He will have a 1,000 yard season.

7. Brock Marion, FS - Marion is truly a playmaker. He lead the Dolphins in interceptions in 2001, and is one of the best safeties in the league.

8. Olindo Mare, K - He is the best player in the league at his position. He has one of the best percentages of successful field goals in NFL history.

9. Tim Bowens, DT - He is still a very good run stopper, he and Chester will form a great connection like he formed with formed Dolphins DT Darryl Gardener.

10. Jay Fiedler, QB - His QB rating was very good, and now with an improved offensive line, better running back, and a new and better offensive coordinator, he will have a career season. He could have 3,300 yards and 20+ TD.

Good listing. I'd have to agree with most of it. My exception is that I cannot place one player above another simply because no player would be as good as they are without the help of others.

based on talent - how do you define that ?

Chambers s/b clearly #1 based solely on talent. Does talent include savvy / knowledge of the game since that is what make Sam, Zach, Brock and Jay so effective.

Remember, this isn't necessarily a list of who's the best PLAYER. You said "talent". So I'm going with sort of a hybrid list. Anyway......

1. CHRIS CHAMBERS, WR - as talented and athletic as they come (this side of Randy Moss). Routinely makes the acrobatic grab in practice and brings it to games. He has it all, both physically and mentally. Best athlete on the team. Will be among the top WRs in the game soon.

2. ZACH THOMAS, LB - The reason I rate him over Madison is because not only is Zach among the league's best at his position in coverage (like Madison), but he's also among the best tacklers. He is the leader of the defense.

3. SAM MADISON, CB - One of the three best shutdown men in the league. Instincts second to none. Not the greatest tackler, but neither was Deion.

4. RICKY WILLIAMS, RB - remains to be seen just how good he really can be. That said, the only thing he lacks as a player is breakaway speed. He has brute strength and instincts to get him by alone. This year will tell us a lot.

5. JASON TAYLOR, DE - Taylor is a tweener. To tall for LB. Too light for DE. But his natural athleticism is undeniable. Has worked to become one of the best all-around DE in the game.

6. PATRICK SURTAIN - very solid CB. Not in Madison's league as a cover man. But his all around skills are among the league's best.

7. OLINDO MARE, K - best overall kicker in the league. But kickers can only rate so high. That said, our fate rests on his leg in many a game.

8. MARK DIXON - when he's healthy, he's among the top guards in the league. If he stayed healthy, he'd easily be in my Top 3.

9. BROCK MARION, FS - Ballhawk extrodinare. Very instinctive. Defensive leader. Still underrated around the league.

10. TIM BOWENS - Big Boy inside. Has a variety of fine sack dances. :p

ON THE CUSP:

JAMAR FLETCHER, CB - The Thorpe Award winner came out as one of the top players at his position coming out last year. Heck, he was recently named college football's 94th Greatest Player of All-Time. This year will tell a lot about him.

ORONDE GADSDEN, WR - It's a shame about his toes. Because OG has arguably the best pair of hands in the NFL. Strong even for a man his size. Rarely does one man bring him down. Routinely runs over multiple defenders. Great route-running makes up for lack of speed. Super strong and a great leaper. Outstanding body control.

LEON SEARCY, OG - Was consistently among the NFL's best OTs until injuries forced him out. Now he moves to a more natural guard position. Again, this year will tell whether he's back or if he has declined.

ROB BURNETT, DE - formerly the best two-way end in the league. Injuries ravaged his 2001 season. Could be a Trace Armstrong-like contributor this year.

LARRY CHESTER, DT - The guy bench presses over 680 lbs and is like a brick wall inside. He and Bowens could form a tandem much like Siragusa and Adams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck
LARRY CHESTER, DT - The guy bench presses over 680 lbs and is like a brick wall inside. He and Bowens could form a tandem much like Siragusa and Adams.

I did not know that Chester was that strong. I have a feeling that our run D will be a lot better this year.

What about an all-time top 10 team???

1. Dan Marino - Miami and Marino are synonimous.

2. Larry Csonka - A human wrecking ball.

3. Dwight Stephenson - A center and a Gentleman. One of the NFLs all time greatest centers.

4. Mark Clayton - A monster over the middle with better than average speed.

5. Zach Thomas - Heart and soul of todays defense.

6. Paul Warfield - Made other teams respect the passing game in the 70s.

7. Sam Madison - THE best corner we have ever had.

8. Louis Oliver - Hard hitting safety.

9. Manny Fernandez - Biggest key in the NO NAME defense.

10. Olindo Mare - The all around most accurate kicker in the NFL.

1) Zach Thomas
2) Sam Madison
3) Jason Taylor
4) Brock Marion
5) Ricky Williams
6) Chris Chambers (come on he's good, but still only has played 1 season)
7) Patrick Surtain
8) Tim Bowens.... but he is getting older and injuries were problem last year...
9) Mare
10) Fiedler

(p.s. my list is based on how they perform on the field, consistancy, stats, experience, knowledge, & talent ...... nto just physical ability)

Ah, best player is a different story

1. Sam Madison, CB - Best coverage skills in the league. Can consistantly blanket the oppositions #1 receiver

2. Jason Taylor, DE - One of the best all around DEs in the league. Good against the run, good pass rusher, and a player who doesn't give up until the whistle is blown.

3. Ricky Willians, RB - Though we haven't seen him play in a Dolphins uniform with pads yet, his talent alone brings him up high on this list. He can do it all, and he is faster than what people think he is.

4. Zach Thomas, RB - A great tackler, but would be higher on the list if he were able to shed off blockers better than he does, which is his only flaw. Is the 2nd best LB in the league with good DTs.

5. Patrick Surtain, CB - Surtain can cover with the best of him, though he makes some stupid mistakes, he makes up for it with intensity and has a very good ability to tackle for a person his size.

6. Jay Fiedler, QB - He was our offense last year. One of the top 5 underrated players in the league. His heart is unmatched, and plain and simply, he gets it done.

7. Brock Marion, FS - Marion is THE all around safety. He can do it all. He can pass defend with the best of them. He can tackle with the best with them. He is a leader and is also slightly underrated.

8. Chris Chambers, WR - The reason he is down as far as he is on this list is because he is only going into his second season and has not proven he will light it up as a starter. Though I think he will, he does not go up the list until he does.

9. Tim Bowens DT - Consistant Run Blocker. Gets the job done. Shows up every week.

10. Olindo Mare, K - He's way down at #10 for the pure reason that kickers are not as importaint as any other (starting) position. (except P basically) He is the most accurate kicker in the game, and can be always counted on in the clutch.

Okay.....BEST PLAYERS

Okay then. Here are my BEST players...........

1. ZACH THOMAS, LB - Again, he's the heart and soul of this defense. And again, he's among the best in coverage AND tackling. Instincts, toughness, and technique make him our best player.

2. SAM MADISON, CB - One of the three best shutdown men in the league. Instincts second to none. His lack of solid tackling skills put him behind Zach. Not saying Sam is a bad tackler. Just saying that Zach is elite at more things than Sam.

3. JASON TAYLOR, DE - JT is our best D lineman. He really came into his own last year. And even though his sack total fell off, I felt he was a better pass rusher than he was in 2000.

4. RICKY WILLIAMS, RB - This should be his breakout year. Is a solid rusher/pass receiver who can block like a mofo. And he has shed 10 lbs to try and gain quickness/speed. Likely to move up the list.

5. PATRICK SURTAIN - very solid CB. Not in Madison's league as a cover man. But his all around skills are among the league's best.

6. CHRIS CHAMBERS, WR - He's just waiting to explode. There's a reason why Fiedler doesn't hesitate to throw downfield to him no matter who's in coverage. He'll move up the list soon enough.

7. OLINDO MARE, K - best overall kicker in the league. But kickers can only rate so high. That said, our fate rests on his leg in many a game.

8. MARK DIXON - Our best offensive lineman. He's starting to decline due to injuries. But he's still a solid player. Can play anywhere on the line.

9. BROCK MARION, FS - Secondary captain. Great instincts. He simply makes plays.

10. TIM BOWENS - Could be better IMO. Maybe with Chester next to him his play will rise again.

In preparing these lists, I remember just how TALENTED we are this year. I mean, I wanted to put Oronde Gadsden and Jay Fiedler on the list. After all, Jay WAS our offense last year. But I just can't put them above those other guys. And that speaks volumes for the guys in my top 10.

Back
Top Bottom