TOS. Foul language. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TOS. Foul language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The New Guy

Starter
Reaction score
I would like to know why foul language is not taken out of posts that have it in them. I read a lot more threads than I post, and there seems to be some kind of foul language in a little less than half of the threads. The TOS says “Comments considered to be derogatory, disgusting, hateful or offensive are not permitted. There will be no swearing of any kind. Circumventing the profanity filter is also not permitted.†Yet I see things like WTF, a$$, and even swearing in avatars, sigs and user names. I understand that mods can not catch every bad word that is posted, but I would think that they would be able to take out the foul language that is used in avatars, sigs, and user names. I have even seen mods post that has had foul language in them. I really enjoy Finheaven because it is different than most boards, (especially the no cursing rule), but I am concerned that if the cursing rule beings to slide, that this board could become like so many other boards that can really get out of hand, and make reading not enjoyable.

Please do not take this message as a put down to the mods, because it is not. I am just curios why so much cursing has been getting through.

Thanks for your time!

Are you serious? You don't see all the mod edits about circumventing the profanity filter? I see them all over the place.

But, the solution is simple, if you see cursing, report it, and the mods will take care of it.

Click this thing...
clear.gif
....to report a post.

Have a nice #@!*^$% day. :)

I have seen the mod edit a few times, but the majority of the time I do not. I have used the triangle to report post in the past, but nothing was ever done about it. I have a question for you, is the last sentence in your post considered circumventing the language filter?

The New Guy said:
I have seen the mod edit a few times, but the majority of the time I do not. I have used the triangle to report post in the past, but nothing was ever done about it. I have a question for you, is the last sentence in your post considered circumventing the language filter?

No, but this is: ****

disclaimer: for informational purposes only

FiN.in.RI said:
No, but this is: ****

disclaimer: for informational purposes only

I don’t see how saying “Have a nice #@!*^$% day†to someone is ok, but something like what you wrote above is not. They both clearly imply foul language, and are both offensive to a lot of people. The TOS says " Comments considered to be derogatory, disgusting, hateful or offensive are not permitted." My question is, who decides what is considered offensive to people?
It is clear by the amount of characters InFINsible used what word he was implying. That’s the kind of thing that I am talking about. I understand when I am talking to someone in person and it just slips out, but people who type it, I don’t understand. You have to think about what you type. On the other hand, I have read some post that makes me think that some people don't think before they type. :lol: Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, I will continue to report post that have swearing in them, and hopefully the cursing will be removed.

ANd BTW, the words "damn" and "hell" are not curse words. Neither is "WTF".

FYI.

The words hell,damn and crap are not cuss words. The posts you report do not have foul language in them. We have a profanity filter the edits out the foul language. If someone circumvents it then we take action.

With the exception of crap, the other two words are indeed curse words. Regardless, since Finheaven does not recognize them as such, I will not report any more post that has those words in them. I apologize.

Thanks for filling me in.

The New Guy said:
With the exception of crap, the other two words are indeed curse words. Regardless, since Finheaven does not recognize them as such, I will not report any more post that has those words in them. I apologize.

Thanks for filling me in.

"damn" and "hell"? Just because they offend you doesn't make them cuss words. This is the cleanest board with the most committed mods I have ever seen, and yet someone is complaining about the language rules not being tight enough because it doesn't include words they find offensive. WTF?

I want to join in on this. I find the following words offensive and believe they should be blocked out at the very least: "Repent", "totalitarian Christian" (not all forms of "Christian", just those that want to force everyone to conform to their beliefs), "bills", "jets", "patriots", "britney spears", "poop", "the", and "apple". Also, consider banning "bench", and "move" when used in combination with "to" and "SS".

Gonzo said:
"damn" and "hell"? Just because they offend you doesn't make them cuss words. This is the cleanest board with the most committed mods I have ever seen, and yet someone is complaining about the language rules not being tight enough because it doesn't include words they find offensive. WTF?

I want to join in on this. I find the following words offensive and believe they should be blocked out at the very least: "Repent", "totalitarian Christian" (not all forms of "Christian", just those that want to force everyone to conform to their beliefs), "bills", "jets", "patriots", "britney spears", "poop", "the", and "apple". Also, consider banning "bench", and "move" when used in combination with "to" and "SS".

First let me say that those words are considered curse words, swearing, or whatever else you would like to call it. When I posted this thread I thought that Finheaven considered those words to be cursing as well. That is why I did not understand why so many of those words were getting through in post. I now know that Finheaven does not consider those words as curse words. I never complained about the language rules not being tight enough. It was my misunderstanding of what Finheaven considered cursing. I was not trying to push anything on anybody. I was just trying to get people to stop breaking the rules, which I now know that they were not. Feel free to try to get the mods to ban whatever words you like, but start a new thread, because that is not what this thread was about.

The New Guy said:
I don't know if it's a bad word or not, I copied and pasted it from a "Hi and Lois" comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom