Trade down? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down?

As an aside, I saw John Avery score on an 80-yard touchdown run in a preseason game at the old Candlestick Park in SF. Obviously, his preseason success didn't carry over to the regular season.

Can you imagine if JJ changed just two picks, Moss and Ray Lewis instead of Gardner. Might have made a super bowl run.

JJ also said he almost dealt up for Peyton Manning.
JJ said he tried to trade the whole draft for Peyton. I think just drafting Moss and a heathy Yatil Green and we could’ve won one instead of denver

He very well might have. JJ did build a very good defense. Even if Marino retired after the 1999 season he would have had 2 years with Randy Moss and he might even have decided to play another year or two if he had Moss.
Not drafting Moss and not doing whatever it took to sign Deion in 1994 are the the two things that almost happened that cost us 2 titles in my lifetime.

As an aside, I saw John Avery score on an 80-yard touchdown run in a preseason game at the old Candlestick Park in SF. Obviously, his preseason success didn't carry over to the regular season.

Can you imagine if JJ changed just two picks, Moss and Ray Lewis instead of Gardner. Might have made a super bowl run.

JJ also said he almost dealt up for Peyton Manning.
Yes Ray Lewis instead of Daryl Gardner with our first in 96. I don't know how Gardner could have been more highly regarded in that draft than Lewis.

We could have also had TO in the 3rd round in 96 instead of Dorian Brew or Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Then imagine if we selected Tiki Barber in round 1 instead of Yatil Green in 1997.

Then cap it off in 98 with Randy Moss, JJ very well could have had the same kind of success with the Dolphins that he had with the Cowboys.

He built a good defense. I wouldnt call them great because they were a bit inconsistent but he really didnt do anything for our offense. He never gave Marino any elite weapons. OJ McDuffie was pretty much our number 1 WR during JJ's 4 years from 96 to 99. He didnt build a running game either. Maybe if we had drafted Tiki Barber instad of Yatil Green that might have changed.

So if we had Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens, Tiki Barber and Randy Moss, Marino would have definitely won a Superbowl.

Yes Ray Lewis instead of Daryl Gardner with our first in 96. I don't know how Gardner could have been more highly regarded in that draft than Lewis.

We could have also had TO in the 3rd round in 96 instead of Dorian Brew or Kareem Abdul Jabar.

Then imagine if we selected Tiki Barber in round 1 instead of Yatil Green in 1997.

Then cap it off in 98 with Randy Moss, JJ very well could have had the same kind of success with the Dolphins that he had with the Cowboys.

He built a good defense. I wouldnt call them great because they were a bit inconsistent but he really didnt do anything for our offense. He never gave Marino any elite weapons. OJ McDuffie was pretty much our number 1 WR during JJ's 4 years from 96 to 99. He didnt build a running game either. Maybe if we had drafted Tiki Barber instad of Yatil Green that might have changed.

So if we had Ray Lewis, Terrell Owens, Tiki Barber and Randy Moss, Marino would have definitely won a Superbowl.
Jj said that Lewis was the type of guy that needs to get out of Miami so he wouldn’t draft him. Nobody thought Lewis would become an all timer. He also famously wanted to trade Marino for a 1st so he could trade up for Lawrence Phillips.

Not drafting Moss and not doing whatever it took to sign Deion in 1994 are the the two things that almost happened that cost us 2 titles in my lifetime.
Aside from 1984, 1994 was Marino's best chance to at least get back to a Superbowl. I am not sure we could have beaten that juggernaut 49ers team even though we would have been playing at home, maybe if we had Deion that might have given us a fighting chance.

That 22-21 loss to the Chargers in the 1994 Divisional Round was the most heartbreaking loss I can ever remember.

We blew a 21-6 halftime lead. Our offense did nothing in the second half and the Chargers scored the go ahead TD with about 30 seconds in the game. Then we got in FG range but Stoyanovich shanked the kick wide right.

We would have gone to Pittsburgh and beaten the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. The same team we beat in the 1984 AFC Championship game. Then hosted the 49ers in the Superbowl 10 years after they basically hosted us in the Superbowl. All these wonderful story lines were there for the taking, unfortunately we choked in the 2nd half in SD and Marino never really had another chance to get back a Superbowl. He made it to the divisional round 2 more times in 98 and 99 but we were so overmatched as a team we had no chance of winning as we lost both of those games by a combined score of 100-10. 38-3 to the Broncos in 98 and 62-7 to the Jaguars in 99. Then Marino retired.

Aside from 1984, 1994 was Marino's best chance to at least get back to a Superbowl. I am not sure we could have beaten that juggernaut 49ers team even though we would have been playing at home, maybe if we had Deion that might have given us a fighting chance.

That 22-21 loss to the Chargers in the 1994 Divisional Round was the most heartbreaking loss I can ever remember.

We blew a 21-6 halftime lead. Our offense did nothing in the second half and the Chargers scored the go ahead TD with about 30 seconds in the game. Then we got in FG range but Stoyanovich shanked the kick wide right.

We would have gone to Pittsburgh and beaten the Steelers in the AFC Championship game. The same team we beat in the 1984 AFC Championship game. Then hosted the 49ers in the Superbowl 10 years after they basically hosted us in the Superbowl. All these wonderful story lines were there for the taking, unfortunately we choked in the 2nd half in SD and Marino never really had another chance to get back a Superbowl. He made it to the divisional round 2 more times in 98 and 99 but we were so overmatched as a team we had no chance of winning as we lost both of those games by a combined score of 100-10. 38-3 to the Broncos in 98 and 62-7 to the Jaguars in 99. Then Marino retired.
Deion would have put us over the top in 94. Plus the Super Bowl was in Miami. I remember Deion attended a preseason game at Joe Robbie vs Bucs. He was on the sideline. I was there. He was begging for the dolphins to make an offer.

Deion would have put us over the top in 94. Plus the Super Bowl was in Miami. I remember Deion attended a preseason game at Joe Robbie vs Bucs. He was on the sideline. I was there. He was begging for the dolphins to make an offer.
With Deion we for sure would have made it to the Superbowl in 1994. Maybe we could have beaten the 49ers at home. He would have taken Jerry Rice out of the game and maybe we could have designed a good game plan to shut down their other weapons.

Maybe it would have been another 1985 Bears on MNF scenario and Marino would have had a career game and we win. Unfortunately we will never know.

To state the obvious, it depends on who falls (someone always does) who wants to trade, how far down the trade will take Miami, and the return on picks of the trade. Given all that, and assuming no one Miami HAS to have falls to #21, I'd be willing to trade, but not too far and not for a 2025 pick. Miami has serious needs at 2-4 positions, so there should be a target available.

Since this draft appears to be rich in many important positions for us, why not trade down to increase our number of selections of potentially good players.

We have already brought in a lot of low-cost vets to help with the availability of players for many of our weaker roster spots, so let's "add" to that level of availability with as many drafted BPA draft picks as possible.

Then we can let training camp complete our player evaluations to determine who we keep, who we cut and who we trade, both away and for.

Thanks to the FO's efforts so far this off season we really are in a position to draft the BPA for each of our draft selections.

I really like the position we are currently in that gives us so much choice to select the BPA at each of our selection points in this draft. Let our opponents pay premium "draft" prices for earlier picks while we get BPAs for much lower "Draft" costs throughout the raft.

You may not realize it, but getting more for less is always a good plan. - LOL

Just the fact that the FO has put us in position to either go BPA at position of need or trade down for more picks is a testament to the overall good job Grier has done this off season. Losing Wilkins and Hunt hurt, but the holes have potential replacements already, before we draft anybody. BTW, we didn't draft so an so, and sign ole so an so, thus did not win a Super Bowl, so GTF over it. Hindsight is 20-20...

Since this draft appears to be rich in many important positions for us, why not trade down to increase our number of selections of potentially good players.

We have already brought in a lot of low-cost vets to help with the availability of players for many of our weaker roster spots, so let's "add" to that level of availability with as many drafted BPA draft picks as possible.

Then we can let training camp complete our player evaluations to determine who we keep, who we cut and who we trade, both away and for.

Thanks to the FO's efforts so far this off season we really are in a position to draft the BPA for each of our draft selections.

I really like the position we are currently in that gives us so much choice to select the BPA at each of our selection points in this draft. Let our opponents pay premium "draft" prices for earlier picks while we get BPAs for much lower "Draft" costs throughout the raft.

Agreed. I’m in favor of a trade down unless one of the top 4 OTs slide to 21. The Front Office has done a stellar job setting us up to go BPA with a mind on the future.

I would like to trade down but it takes somebody who wants to trade up with us and will give us the kind of draft capital that makes it worthwhile trading down. It also depends on who is available to us and how the draft plays out ahead of us.

Here is a dilemma. What if the Bills want to trade up with us and Brian Thomas is on the board? Would you trade down with them knowing we will have to face him twice a year for the next several years? Lets say they offer us picks 28 and 60.
We've done some stupid things in the past but a trade with Buffalo would be close if not at the top.

I would like to trade down but it takes somebody who wants to trade up with us and will give us the kind of draft capital that makes it worthwhile trading down. It also depends on who is available to us and how the draft plays out ahead of us.

Here is a dilemma. What if the Bills want to trade up with us and Brian Thomas is on the board? Would you trade down with them knowing we will have to face him twice a year for the next several years? Lets say they offer us picks 28 and 60.
In this case I would because I don't want Thomas. Iheard he's an attitude and might have issues getting open deep, so yeah let Buffalo have him.

In general, I agree. Depends on who's available when Miami is on the clock

Back
Top Bottom