Trade with SD | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade with SD

Ohio Fanatic said:
Not even close to being BPA. He'll be a good LB, but he's nto Ray Lewis. And if he's not All-Pro caliber, i.e not one of the best 2 or 3 LB's in the NFL, he's not worth the #2 pick. LB's are way more replaceable than RB's.
Exactly... look at Derrick Pope.

Braylon and Mike Williams, IMO, are the best players.

Agent51 said:
Anyone see on ESPN the other day about SD wanting to trade up for a WR and the posibility of Rivers or Brees being traded? If I remember correctly a scenerio was named where a trade between the charges and us would consist of Rivers/Brees and their #12 for our #2. I HOPE this doesn't happen. As much as I like Brees and think Rivers has great "franchise QB" potential, WE NEED A RUNNING BACK, and I am not confident in ANY of them outside the big 3. We don't need Rogers or Smith, a QB won't start right away for us. We don't need Williams or Edwards because our WR staff now is perfectly capable of getting the job done, and we don't have a rushing threat to open up the pass ANYWAY, we don't need a DB because (assuming Pat leaves) we still have Madison and Poole to start, and we don't need a LB because Thomas and Seau can get the job done for another year. A RB will make the most impact this year. One of the BIG THREE RBs will rather. The QB pool, IMHO, is much deeper than the RB pool this year anyway, so we can get a quality QB as far back as 4 in my eyes. Saban, PLEASE get Benson or Brown (preferably Benson, haha, but I'd even take Cadillac, just get ONE OF THEM!!!!!)

Actually, you're wrong about our need of a RB at #2...I am on the Brown bandwagon, myself, but we really only need to draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round (assuming we get a pick for PS in either round) to compliment Gordon and Morris. That is Linehan's MO....He can make the RB-by-committee work well...That being said, if we do make a trade for Brees/Rivers (which I doubt will happen), then QB would be set, so that leaves us looking D at #12. There would be an outside chance that he might go with Troy Williamson at that spot as well...but what I was trying to say is that we have some options at RB and QB. We can get by w/o drafting a WR, so whoever we get in the 1st (under your trade scenario) doesn't have to be our team savior. To me, that is the great thing about trading down...If we stay at #2, whoever is picked will have a lot of pressure to perform at an all-world level and Saban will have a lot of pressure to make him successful too...I'd much rather trade down...

Agent51 said:
Anyone see on ESPN the other day about SD wanting to trade up for a WR and the posibility of Rivers or Brees being traded? If I remember correctly a scenerio was named where a trade between the charges and us would consist of Rivers/Brees and their #12 for our #2. I HOPE this doesn't happen. As much as I like Brees and think Rivers has great "franchise QB" potential, WE NEED A RUNNING BACK, and I am not confident in ANY of them outside the big 3. We don't need Rogers or Smith, a QB won't start right away for us. We don't need Williams or Edwards because our WR staff now is perfectly capable of getting the job done, and we don't have a rushing threat to open up the pass ANYWAY, we don't need a DB because (assuming Pat leaves) we still have Madison and Poole to start, and we don't need a LB because Thomas and Seau can get the job done for another year. A RB will make the most impact this year. One of the BIG THREE RBs will rather. The QB pool, IMHO, is much deeper than the RB pool this year anyway, so we can get a quality QB as far back as 4 in my eyes. Saban, PLEASE get Benson or Brown (preferably Benson, haha, but I'd even take Cadillac, just get ONE OF THEM!!!!!)

I gota tell ya, after watching teams make strong runs at or winning the SB without a star RB, you still think a top notch RB is the key to winning. I am not trying to step on your dreams ,but don't you think your looking at this draft with blinders on? We have an opportunity to make some significant advances in the overall taent level on this team and you seem to think one player is all we need. If we do need a single player at #2 then it shouldn't be a RB not one of the RB is worthy of #2 overall and if we stay at #2 we need to draft the BPA. I so hate that there is so much talent at the RB position to be had this year and people still want to draft a RB at #2. I just think there are far better choices at #2 then RB.

NYFCat said:
From what I've seen from Nick Saban, he will NOT sacrifice the value of the #2 pick. We're picking 2nd. Deal with it and discuss the logic behind your prediction from that point.

I mean, really... can you imagine Saban beginning his regime with the #2 pick, dealing down to the #12 range, and end up choosing between LB Derrick Johnson and CB Pacman Jones? If you trade down to the #12 spot, you had better do it with the assumption that all 3 RB's (Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson), both QB's (Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers), and the top 3 WR's (Braylon, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson to a lesser extent) will be long gone by that point.

If the Chargers actually want to deal Philip Rivers, there has to be reason that they do it in the first place: BECAUSE THEY DONT BELIEVE HE IS A FRANCHISE SIGNAL CALLER. Drew Brees had an amazing season that virtually erased every weakness we've discuseed on this board. And what has happened? The Chargers STILL want to see another 5:1 TD:INT year out of him before they deal Rivers.

Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger this season. The Miami Dolphins will draft second in the upcoming draft. I'll use my signature behind that prediction.
The only way we don't trade down is if we don't have a trade partner. But your smugness is duly noted.
:cooldude:

GM Smith was categoric in debunking this rumor.They will not trade Rivers.The cap hit would be astronomical.

Agent51 said:

I disagree with you man. I would take that trade in a heart beat...if it was Rivers (who I really like) moreso than Brees. You get an excellent QB prospect in Rivers and the #12 overall pick. One of the top 3 RB's could fall and if not them, then you have the chance to draft Alex Barron who has a world of talent (just needs some motivation from what I read) or even Derrick Johnson if he would slip that far. We could always get a decent to good RB in the second (if we get one for PS) or third round with this draft. We would get two needs met for the price of dropping down 10 slots.

NYFCat said:
From what I've seen from Nick Saban, he will NOT sacrifice the value of the #2 pick. We're picking 2nd. Deal with it and discuss the logic behind your prediction from that point.

I mean, really... can you imagine Saban beginning his regime with the #2 pick, dealing down to the #12 range, and end up choosing between LB Derrick Johnson and CB Pacman Jones? If you trade down to the #12 spot, you had better do it with the assumption that all 3 RB's (Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson), both QB's (Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers), and the top 3 WR's (Braylon, Mike Williams, Troy Williamson to a lesser extent) will be long gone by that point.

If the Chargers actually want to deal Philip Rivers, there has to be reason that they do it in the first place: BECAUSE THEY DONT BELIEVE HE IS A FRANCHISE SIGNAL CALLER. Drew Brees had an amazing season that virtually erased every weakness we've discuseed on this board. And what has happened? The Chargers STILL want to see another 5:1 TD:INT year out of him before they deal Rivers.

Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger this season. The Miami Dolphins will draft second in the upcoming draft. I'll use my signature behind that prediction.

You my friend are correct. I think a lot of us dont put ourselves in the OTHER teams shoes. If I am SD, I would keep Rivers AND Brees around for one more year... they have the cap room to be able to afford it. I would want to make sure Brees is going to put up those numbers again next year.... it would also slightly lessen the dead cap they would take for trading Rivers (if Brees pans out) SD has 2 picks in the first round this year in a draft that IMO is LOADED with mid-round talent. They can get a CB and a S in the first round and reload their secondary, which IMO was the only weakness on that team last year. They dont need to trade at all this year because they are in the drivers seat with 2 first round picks and 2 good QBs on their roster.

I bet Eli Manning is kicking himself for talkin crap about SD last year.... SD should be a SB contender next year whereas the Giants are in complete distress.

Back
Top Bottom