Trading Down : Please Explain... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Down : Please Explain...

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
What's the purpose of trading down other than adding one draft pick???....

At #20, we've got a real shot at adding an immediate impact player this year. If we trade down, what chances are there of that happening???....

I hear so many fans saying that other than OT S. Andrews, there isn't a single OLman on the board that's worthy of the #20 pick. If that's the case, and he's the only OLman we'd target at #20, where does OG V. Carey fit in??? Is he worthy of late first round status??...How about OG J. Smiley???...

If we trade down this year, and the likes of Carey / Smiley are gone, what will be the overall feel towards this decision???....I will be furious.

I guess the real question is do we want one of these guys or not???...If we want one of them, {and we do need one of them}, what are the chances of one of them falling to us later down the line??? Taking that risk is very dangerous, and could come back to haunt us if the two are taken right after we trade down....

I personally don't think it's a good year to trade down. If RS really wants to make an impact in his first draft, he'll stick with selecting the best player available at #20. That would be either OT S. Andrews{praying}, or OG / OT V. Carey IMO. Trading down would all but end our chances of solidifying our OL in 2004...

PHINZ RULE!!!! :cool:

Well if that rumored trade involving the Patriots happened I would be fine with that. We'd get the last pick in the 2nd round and we'd still have the last pick in the first round. We would be able to get a very good OG with the 32nd pick.

trading down is an option if Andrews is not there at #20. if he's gone, we still need OL and the next best guy(Vernon Carey or Smiley) is not worth the #20 overall. so we trade down, maybe early or middle 2nd round and we still be able to pick up an OL, plus an extra pick, and you're not reaching with the #1 on a guy that maybe a middle 2nd round pick. Vernon and Smiley should be available, so long as we don't trade down too low. it only makes sense if Andrews is not there when we pick. we don't need an high impact WR now that we got Boston, so you can pick up a 3rd WR in the 3rd round, someone like Calico or Bolden last year.

Blitz: IMO....

We don't have to have that #20 pick to get an impact player...On the OL, Andrews, Carey, Smiley, Grove, Snee could all start if needed...I think Smiley is the best of that group....But given our history of 2nd and 3rd picks, I'd rather have 3 picks on Saturday rather than 2....If we go after a WR and OL on Saturday, they would start/contribute significantly, but if we get a WR, OL, and say a DT....all three will start/contribute greatly....Remember a quality DT in our system would play 30% of the time. A quality 3rd WR would play 25% or more (despite DWs comments about not using the 3 WR set much), and of course the OL could start, but could also get beat out by Whitley/St Clair (once McI returns). And, best of all, with a DT and WR, you are also preparing for 2005...Timbo has already said that he may retire after this year. and that position takes a toll on the body as well, especially after 30...(unfortuneately, I have experience in that respect, being over 30 that is). And there is no telling what is going to happen with CC and a long term contract, given that we have so much money being spent on D....so, trading down, does make sense, if we can get the right suitor...

I agree completely. There are 20 or so "blue chip" players in this draft and we are in great postition with the 20th pick. Hopefully we wont get another shot at a blue chip player again in the near future as they typically go in the top 10 or so. Since we have this shot we need to take it. Typically I am not a BPA type guy but with so few holes and so many great players that might fall to us I think that would be the best way to go.

The chances of getting an instant impact player are slim. Only Suggs was an impact player in the first rd. The rest were average at best .

The draft is deep with quality players. Here's an example from Tatonka.http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/7267363

Remember two 7's are better than one perfect 10 in a team sport or sex :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not opposed to tradeing down to get a pick in the 2nd rd. As long as we are able to get a guy we need on the o-line. I would not be opposed to taking Grove or Smiley with our late first rd pick and getting a Dt in the second or a LB. I feel we will still find a decent guy in the third to play either of these positions. Though it will be hard to pass on Andrews if he is there.Dolfanreal69

Back
Top Bottom