Trading down possibilites | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading down possibilites

Aqua4Ever04

Active Roster
Reaction score
Trading down seems to be a popular and to me seems to be a good idea. Now 2 possibilites I have constructed are:
Trade between Miami & Denver
To Denver:
RB Ricky Williams
To Miami:
2nd Rnd (37th overall)

I think this would be a very nice trade for us to make because we have a future superstar in Ronnie Brown and could really use the extra pick.

Trade between Miami & New York Jets
To New York:
1st Rnd (16th overall)
4th Rnd (114th overall
To Miami:
1st Round (29th overall)
2nd Round (35th overall)

Now I know trades within a division don't happen all that often and I also made this proposistion up with my own speculation. What do you guys think about that? Do you guys see any other trade down possibilities?

I could see Pittsburgh or Indy trading up to 16 to get first crack at the #2 RB. Pitt has lots of picks and Indy is behind several RB hungry teams, most recently the Jets. Not exactly sure what they would offer besides a low 2nd. It will be interesting to see what's up there at #16. I have a feeling something really juicy will still be there. If not, I like the idea of trading down.

I don't think the Jets will be looking to make a deal with us. If anything, they're probably shooting to trade up and nab Leinart.
I don't know whether Ricky wins the appeal, and I don't know who really wants to cough up a 2nd for a guy who's 50/50 to make it through the offseason without more drug test drama. If he makes it through the appeal, I'm betting that he's a Dolphin for at least one more year.

Trading down depends on three things. Obviously there has to be someone below us who is enanormed with a certain player. Then that player has got to be there at 16, and the trade-down partner has to really believe that we're (or maybe Minnesota) a threat to draft that player.
A lot depends on who gets drafted. If some team covets a WR, then I think we'll field some offers (if someone like Chad Jackson goes to Denver, and someone thinks we're about to take Holmes). Other than that, I our only hope might be if guys like Justice, Ngata or Cutler slip. There will be too many good linebackers and defensive backs available after 16 to make people worry too much about a certain guy.

Would a deal between Miami and NE be very shocking?

BB and Saban are tight and teams show less worry trading draft picks within the division than players.

I could see NE wanting to move up to grab a RB or WR.Or maybe a LB.

NE has extra picks to play with too.

jimthefin said:
Would a deal between Miami and NE be very shocking?

BB and Saban are tight and teams show less worry trading draft picks within the division than players.

I could see NE wanting to move up to grab a RB or WR.Or maybe a LB.

NE has extra picks to play with too.

I don't like the idea of imrpoving New England at all. Especially giving Billicheck any picks. He is a master of the draft and any trade he makes is probably a good one for the Pats.

i could see the first option happening thats the most realistic of the two

I think trading down to the Chicago or Indy spot is the best way to go.

Whichever pick provides us with a second round pick.

With the trade down, Miami selects at #26 or #30 best available OLB or CB.

With the second round pick Miami selects best available DT,possibly Claude Wroten.

With 3rd round pick we select best available CB or OLB not selected in first round.

If we stay at #16 possible we look at WR Holmes/Jackson, RB D. Williams, CB Hill/Williams.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Trading down seems to be a popular and to me seems to be a good idea. Now 2 possibilites I have constructed are:
Trade between Miami & Denver
To Denver:
RB Ricky Williams
To Miami:
2nd Rnd (37th overall)

I think this would be a very nice trade for us to make because we have a future superstar in Ronnie Brown and could really use the extra pick.

Trade between Miami & New York Jets
To New York:
1st Rnd (16th overall)
4th Rnd (114th overall
To Miami:
1st Round (29th overall)
2nd Round (35th overall)

Now I know trades within a division don't happen all that often and I also made this proposistion up with my own speculation. What do you guys think about that? Do you guys see any other trade down possibilities?

Denver wont bite

fishbanger said:

With the second round pick Miami selects best available DT,possibly Claude Wroten.

With 3rd round pick we select best available CB or OLB not selected in first round.

If we stay at #16 possible we look at WR Holmes/Jackson, RB D. Williams, CB Hill/Williams.

I agree with all this except your last point. A RB? That is our deepest posistion at this point. We won't take a running back in this draft even if Williams loses his appeal.

Anyone who may want to trade with us is going to want to jump head of the Vikings and or Cowboys......with that being said I think the obvious reason would be LB. Any team who really likes a certain LB that thinks the Vikings or Cowboys want will have to move up to grab them. Another possibility is DB.......if a team feels that the Vikings or Cowboys might make a move on a DB then they would have to trade up with us to make that happen. Now it's already been rumored and you can check this link for the rumor: http://nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=2&a=625 it's at the bottom of the article. It states that the Falcons will trade with the Vikings...Vikings 1st rounder for Matt Schaub QB. If that happens then any team that is worried the falcons will take their player of choice would have to move up to beat the Falcons for that player. Now IMO there are some players that may or may not be availble at 16 that teams would want to trade up with us for...they go as followed:

Chad Jackson/Santonio Holmes WR- If one of these WR's is available a team that might want a WR...ie Chiefs or Chargers...would have to move up to grab one of them......the Vikings could very well go WR because of the loss of Burleson.

Jimmy Williams DB- Alot of people seem worried about his character however you can't deny the talent....cause it's there. A team looking for a CB or S ie Chiefs could move up to take a chance on the talent. The Vikings could use a DB for some help.

Chad Greenway/Ernie Sims OLB- A team looking for an OLB ie Dallas, Jags, Panthers could move up to take the very talented Greenway or Sims.

The Hybrids Wimbley and Lawson- Many think Wimbley will be gone by 16...however if he falls a team iso a hybrid DE/LB ie. Dallas could move up to make sure the secure the services of these two interesting prospects.

Reference not taking RB point. Since Saban drafts on value and not need one cant say for certain a RB wont be taken, especially if Ricky gets suspended and the fact that Ricky may only play one or two more years.

d. Angelo Williams is being compared to Emmitt Smith coming out of College and thats enough value for me.

fishbanger said:

Even if we lose Ricky, we will NOT draft a RB in the first.

WPBtoRNOFinFan said:
Even if we lose Ricky, we will NOT draft a RB in the first.

You pretty much took that quote from my post. LOL. I should have published that! Just kidding man. :lol:

newlownorder said:
Anyone who may want to trade with us is going to want to jump head of the Vikings and or Cowboys......with that being said I think the obvious reason would be LB. Any team who really likes a certain LB that thinks the Vikings or Cowboys want will have to move up to grab them. Another possibility is DB.......if a team feels that the Vikings or Cowboys might make a move on a DB then they would have to trade up with us to make that happen. Now it's already been rumored and you can check this link for the rumor: http://nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=2&a=625 it's at the bottom of the article. It states that the Falcons will trade with the Vikings...Vikings 1st rounder for Matt Schaub QB. If that happens then any team that is worried the falcons will take their player of choice would have to move up to beat the Falcons for that player. Now IMO there are some players that may or may not be availble at 16 that teams would want to trade up with us for...they go as followed:

Chad Jackson/Santonio Holmes WR- If one of these WR's is available a team that might want a WR...ie Chiefs or Chargers...would have to move up to grab one of them......the Vikings could very well go WR because of the loss of Burleson.

Jimmy Williams DB- Alot of people seem worried about his character however you can't deny the talent....cause it's there. A team looking for a CB or S ie Chiefs could move up to take a chance on the talent. The Vikings could use a DB for some help.

Chad Greenway/Ernie Sims OLB- A team looking for an OLB ie Dallas, Jags, Panthers could move up to take the very talented Greenway or Sims.

The Hybrids Wimbley and Lawson- Many think Wimbley will be gone by 16...however if he falls a team iso a hybrid DE/LB ie. Dallas could move up to make sure the secure the services of these two interesting prospects.

Good post and all these points seem very logical. It could be very interesting to see how this thing shapes up. I can't remember a draft that has drawn this much interest.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
You pretty much took that quote from my post. LOL. I should have published that! Just kidding man. :lol:

haha, didn't see your post, I just couldn't ignore someone recommending we draft a RB in the first round...almost sounds like Wanny ball....

except if it was Wanny, we'd draft B.J. Mitchell out of Nevada in the first round and move up to the second overall pick to do so and trade all of our picks for it.

If I were a Detroit fan, I wouldn't be suprised at someone recommending we draft someone from the same position for a second consecutive year...

Back
Top Bottom