Trading up? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading up?

volk

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I find it interesting that following the win yesterday, so many of the Tua/Burrows tank proponents are so opposed to the notion of trading up if necessary to get one of those very QB's. I understand the team has a lot of need and draft capital is very valuable, but all offseason and up to this point we have been told how important a QB is, and that without one we have nothing. I have also heard the trades are fully justified this season because no one we traded actually impacts the game enough to create wins. Lastly , many of you have claimed that as long as we get Tua, this team will be turned around within a year and Super Bowl contenders in two.

My question is simply this: if all the above are true, why are so many of you now so opposed to trading up? If we land a generational QB like so many of you believe Tua could be, how are they not worth investing several picks in? What has changed to suddenly devalue the QB position and make those other picks so vital that they cannot be sacrificed?

It’s funny all the people who say we definitely need to “tank for Tua” but are so against moving up. If he is such a Game changing player you trade your whole draft for him.

I'm not against trading up for a franchise QB, but if the teams ahead of you are QB needy too, all the draft capital in the world isn't going to get those teams to move.

I'm not against trading up for a franchise QB, but if the teams ahead of you are QB needy too, all the draft capital in the world isn't going to get those teams to move.
Obviously true. Still, Miami has enough draft capital to make almost anyone move if needed.

Probably because some realize this team has a lot of holes.

Dolphins have 5 picks in the top 64. Now it's a big if, but if they hit on 4 of those picks, that can change the course of the franchise.

I'm of the mindset of taking the BPA at whatever picks they land. Maybe a slight bias towards a QB but we'll see.

Bengals won't give up the first for almost any package of picks and ATL may be set on another QB if they get the 2nd overall.

Obviously true. Still, Miami has enough draft capital to make almost anyone move if needed.
If Miami was sitting there with the first pick and there was a great QB prospect available, would there be any possible offer enticing you to pass on that? No way.

I've got no problem with trading up for a QB if the GM believes he is the guy to lead the team forward, because if he's right, it's well worth the picks. It's not like if we trade 2 first rounders we will be devoid of picks - the man has prepared for this scenario!

Im opposed to giving up multiple picks to move up a few spots.

It’s funny all the people who say we definitely need to “tank for Tua” but are so against moving up. If he is such a Game changing player you trade your whole draft for him.
“All”? I mentioned multiple times that I’m ALL for trading up to nab him, hell I’d even throw in Rosen.

I never was a Tank for Tua member. I would love to get him or Burrow in the draft but I would not like it if the Dolphins have to spend high valued draft capital to move up and draft one of these QB’s, I would prefer
they use all their picks in the early rounds to draft as many talented players as possible.

This is a 2-3 year rebuild at best and if they can‘t get Tua or Burrow in this coming draft, they should just wait until 2021 to try and move up and draft their future QB. The Dolphins have far too many holes on the team to trade 2 or 3 first round draft picks on a QB, IMO.

I never was a Tank for Tua member. I would love to get him or Burrow in the draft but I would not like it if the Dolphins have to spend high valued draft capital to move up and draft one of these QB’s, I would prefer
they use all their picks in the early rounds to draft as many talented players as possible.

This is a 2-3 year rebuild at best and if they can‘t get Tua or Burrow in this coming draft, they should just wait until 2021 to try and move up and draft their future QB. The Dolphins have far too many holes on the team to trade 2 or 3 first round draft picks on a QB, IMO.
So you don’t want to move up this year and draft a franchise QB but next year is a different story? Jesus Christ........

Why waste draft capitol this year when they can waste it next year.

Everything depends on cost. I'd be very measured in giving up any firsts to move up (other than the swap, of course). Probably a moot point if you look at who will likely be picking higher than us. Cincy is going to take a QB, I have to think. Skins could ride Haskins and reverse their RG3 karma by trading down for a package, but I think they would take a QB. Looking at the other possibilities...Jets likely would look to trade outside the division; Giants would be the one possibility for coming in ahead of us and looking to trade with us that I see.

Cost is irrelevant when it comes to a franchise QB. Totally irrelevant. You pay whatever it takes if you fully believe in a guy and you don't currently have one on the roster.

Back
Top Bottom