Training Camp..Is Mayes coming back. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp..Is Mayes coming back.

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Did I missed the Wednesday camp report or has it been posted..

I read this and wanted to know more..

"Fiedler's first two throws during the seven-on-seven drills were off target, but he quickly found his groove and completed a deep pass to Alonzo Mayes over the middle.'

Is Mayes starting to come around...these are the only reports I've read from Thursday, is there more?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lbox080102.htmlstory?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/sports/football/nfl/miami_dolphins/3775195.htm

Yeah I was wondering too about Wednesday's TC report. JBrown never posted one neither did anyone else. It wasn't a two-a-day, it was only one practice session, but it did mark Fiedler's comeback so if anyone attended and wants to give their version of it then it would be GREATLY appreciated...

Question of the Day

Who has the best nickname?

"I think I have to go with Braveheart for [linebacker] Justin Seaverns. I think it’s really funny. He’s like a warrior; he looks like a warrior."  Linebacker Morlon Greenwood

"Braveheart. We also call him William Wallace. We call him all types of names. Zach [Thomas] is Buddy Lee. One of my all-time favorites is Employee No. 27. [safety Arturo Freeman]."  Linebacker Derrick Rodgers

"I guess you could say me, Buddy Lee."  Thomas

"[Tackle] Cornell Green. We call him T-Rex because his arms are so short."  Defensive end David Bowens

"Buddy Lee is pretty good."  Tight end Jed Weaver

"Apollo Creed for [cornerback] Pat Surtain is a good one. I gave him that one." ۠Safety Scott McGarrahan

JB report in on his page..............

Fins Have A Slow Day At Camp
Jonathan Brown July 31, 2002

After a great practice last night, the Dolphin today kind of took a rest in practice. They gave a few guys a day off from practice, as well as the rest of the team doing some light drills. One good news from Dolphins headquarters was the return of Jay Fiedler. With his return the Dolphins Offense should sparkle alittle more. Nevertheless as Preseason looms, we won't know till then.

Top Play From Practice:
The whole Defensive Line looked great today. They were putting pressure on the Quarterback, as well as getting in backfield stopping the running effectively.

Practice Quotes:
(Wannstedt On Jay Practicing Again)
"It was a good start for him and we'll just add a little to it each day," coach Dave Wannstedt said.

(Wannstedt On How Jay Looked)
"He (Jay) was pretty sharp for the first day of limited work," Dolphins Head Coach Dave Wannstedt said. "He went through individual drills and then threw a little bit in the seven-on-seven. It's a start. The only plan is he has to see the doctor next Tuesday or Wednesday to get total clearance. What we'll do is every day just add a little bit more. When I say total clearance, I mean before he can get in there and scramble around with the team and all that stuff. It was a good start for him and I think we'll add a little bit to that every day leading up to next Tuesday."

Head Coach Dave Wannstedt (On FB Deon Dyer's performance during Training Camp thus far) - We have some great competition going on (at the fullback position) and he's not backing away. He's really improved on his catching and he's competing. He's really doing a good job. I'm really pleased."

Head Coach Dave Wannstedt (On what he expects to gain from upcoming practices with the Tennessee Titans) - "It is going to be very good competition. We'll be going up against a top team in the AFC. And it will give us some different looks. We're going to see different plays from what our offense does and different defensive schemes. It will add some real good conversation from a coaching standpoint."

(Jay On Practicing)
''It felt great just to be out here and throwing to the guys who have been working pretty hard over the last few days,'' Fiedler said. ``It was nice to get out there and show them that I still had it a little bit.''

(Jay On Coming Back)
"I got a few cobwebs out," Fiedler said after going through individual and 7-on-7 drills. "I started out slowly and I was real conscious of the hip. As we got going, I started to forget about it. It felt great just to be out there and just show these guys that I've still got it."

My Afternoon Practice Take:
Today's lone Fins practice, was really a day for rest after a late practice last night. Many players like Ray Lucas, Mark Dixon, Jim Bundren, and Anthonio Cesario didn't practice. As for the camp itself, it was ok, but nothing great. However one good sign, was the return of starting Quarterback Jay Fiedler after hip surgery on July 13, 2002. Fiedler participated in one on one and seven on seven drills and did a pretty decent job, although he didn't do any rollout plays to throw on the run like Fiedler usually does. However with Fiedler back, Levcik and Kustok's work will be very limited. Meanwhile Ray Lucas was given the day off after feeling alittle tired after last nights practice. With Lucas out and Fiedler limited, most of the work went to Kustok and Levcik today. Kustok seems to be doing well with knowing the plays but is really awful in accuracy especially on the run. Nevertheless today he again showed that lack of arm strength. Levcik however looked great today. He was throwing nice crisp spirals that were accurate, while showing off some of his arm strength with deep passes. Levcik also showed better mobility today while in the pocket, in which he has lacked since the beginning of camp. As for the Running Backs, Robert Edwards is still impressive. He made some nice cuts and hit the holes well today. As for Ricky Williams, he seems to be turning back to his old form, which isn't good. He seemed to not be gripping the ball well, as he proved it last night as well with two fumbles. Hopefully he will improve when Miami keeps doing stripping drills. However Travis Minor and Leonard Henry looked good again. They are both making nice cuts in practicing and doing a real nice job finding the holes. However Minor seems to be a better receiver out in the flat, due to having experience with it last year, but Henry nevertheless has made some catches as well as dropped some too. It will be interesting to see if Miami keeps all four of these guys. However in doing so it would cut down their Fullback position to keeping two. Nevertheless Konrad, Ayanbadejo, and Dyer all had a real good solid practice. Needless to say if Miami keeps all four backs, Ayanbadejo or Konrad is gone basically, because they can not afford to let Dyer go with the horrible play by the Offensive Line. I mean they atleast need someone to make some blocks and Dyer can do it too. Now as for the Wide Receivers, Gadsden and Chambers made some real nice routine catches, nothing spectacular however or what you would think would be spectacular from these guys. As for Ward, he was out with his foot being sore. With Ward out that gave McKnight more time at the #3 Wide Receiver spot and again McKnight is having problems catching the ball. I really think these coaches need to spend extra time with him, because his speed can be deadly if he can only catch the ball. As for Ogden and Baker, they looked really good today. Ogden with a little better hands than Baker, but Baker may have a little speed on Ogden. Nevertheless Ogden does have some good wheels. However both will compete hard along with Sam Simmons for that #5 Wide Receiver spot. As for the Tight Ends, they didn't get much work again today. However, both Weaver and McMichael are running nice routes along with coming up with some routine catches. As for Mayes he continues to be limited, which most likely means he is still injured and on his way out of Miami. Now on to the Offensive Line, they continue to be unimpressive again. Searcy and Perry bothed looked decent today, but are still getting pushed back to often, as well as Ruddy. Meanwhile Mark Dixon sat out today with an ankle injury. As for Brent Smith, he still looks shaky out there, but this is only his second practice so I will cut him some slack. However his competitor, Marcus Spriggs looked great out there today. He seemed to have excellent foot work, and is really the lone bright spot for this Offensive Line at this point. As for the Defensive Line, they looked pretty good today, which you come to expect from them. Bowens and Chester really did a good job again clogging up the middle, even though Chester was slowed at the end of practice with an ankle injury. As for ends Rob Burnett and Jay Williams, they both were limited due to both of them being injured. With both of them being injured, David Bowens got a chance to impress again, in which he did. Bowens seems to be getting off the ball quickly, as well as stopping the run game too. Last but not least the Secondary had another outstanding day. Madison and Surtain did another outstanding job on Chambers and Gadsden, while Lowe looked good, making some nice plays, coming in as the #4 Cornerback. Meanwhile Fletcher had a decent day coming in as the Nickle Back. He still continues to get burnt though atleast once a practice. Overall it was a pretty simple day for the Fins, as they took it easy after a hard practice last night.

Small Notes:
G Mark Dixon (ankle), QB Ray Lucas (resting), WR Dedric Ward (foot) did not participate in practice. DE Rob Burnett (ankle) participated in practice on a limited basis.

Next Training Camp:
The Miami Dolphins will have one practice on Thursday. It will run from 9-10:45 a.m.

Don't forget to check out the pictures page located at http://tcreports.finheaven.com/fincamppics02.php. I will be adding some pictures from todays action later.

Thanks Minor..I needed that..So JB take is Mayes is still on the outs...I just don't understand him..He had such promise..I think he must be injured.

Back
Top Bottom