Travis Daniels | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Travis Daniels

He is playing in a TEAM sport, which means the better he plays, the more he will make, but also one of the biggest traits on most teams (this team being one of them) is being selfless, doing something for the benifit of the team. It is not like he will be making garbage if he renegotieates.

You don't work for a team? is your company not a team? And one thing you are missing that is very important is that nine times out of ten that player does not get to play with one team his whole career. So you are asking them to be loyal like a fan, even though that team would trade them in a heartbeat if it gave them an advantage.

This is a JOB. I don't care how much you love what you do, if you get paid for it, it becomes a job, just like yours. Except their job actually takes years off their lifespans and cripples many of them.

As far as comparing us to athletes, not a good comparison. Maybe I would not go to my boss to ask for less money, but if I was an athlete, had made millions of dollars already, and will make Millions more in the future, but my team is asking me to restructure my salary for the better of my team....I would have no problem doing it.

See above.

And so your position is Marxian? You believe that because someone makes more than you do that they don't deserve it? You don't like the free market?

I love football, if they told me that I could play in the NFL and make a million dollars my whole career to play, I would jump at the chance, sign on the dotted line with no problem.

You'd think that, but it's not true. Not for long. It becomes a job. These guys have worked unimaginably hard to get where they are and they get the crap beat out of them every week. It's not a hobby to them, it's a job.

And, of course, it's easy to say you'd do it for X amount because you are not qualified to do it. So you have nothing to lose.

Do you think the owners should give everything they make over a million back?

Ohio Fanatic said:
agree, and Sam has taken multiple paycuts in the past for the team (renogiations rather), maybe he's just tired of doing it. I don't blame him.

Good point. I had forgotten all his restructuring.

fin1 said:
Let's try and put it into some sort of perspective. If you were managing, say north american offices for a large company and suddenly you were not able to perform all of the duties that were required for the job. How long before you were shown the door? It's a pride thing I understand. It just cracks me up that since you were paid a certain amount when you were at the top of your game that automatically becomes the benchmark for what you should continue to be paid. He goes somewhere else and the perception of his abilities change and he makes a little more money. He's no Ty Law. See ya Sammy.:shakeno: :shakeno:

I also would like the franchise to recognize my 100th post. If not I'm going to cry like T.O.

Ok.... so if a player like T.O. finds himself underpaid according to his abilities... he is completely right to hold out and not play until they pay him more? Even if the contract he signed is only a year old?

This is exactly what I am talking about. People want players to honor contracts they signed, but refuse to give them the opposite. They don't want teams to honor contracts THEY signed.

nopony said:
I totally agree with you, Larry, and that was a good post.

My problem is that fans blame Sam or any other players (Ronnie Brown holding out for a good contract) instead of the real issue: the collective bargaining agreement.

Of all the major sports, football players are the most screwed. Baseball is a good example of a sport gone too far in one direction while football is a good example of a sport gone too far the other direction.

The NFL owners make BANK. Every year their franchise increase in worth. The broadcast deals are enormous and the marketing money insane.

But there is an artifical limit (the cap) on how much you can players... so every year there are many players earning far less than they are worth. Fans expect the players to make the sacrifice for the good of teams that will NOT return the favor... the players will get cut the second the outlive their usefullness.

And since football contracts are not guaranteed like baseball contracts, the player has to protect themselves. That's why all this articial avoidance of the cap like siging bonuses.

Bottom line to me is that you often hear fans complaining about greedy players but rarely about owners that make MUCH more without playing a down or ever putting themselves in harms way.

Great post! I agree.

This thread has seemed to turn more into a Madison debate than Travis Daniels, but I'll add a little fuel to the fire. Nopony pretty much hit the nail on the head. With contracts not being gauranteed, and with a guy like Madison who has already taken paycuts, what's wrong with getting paid in your last few good years. My opinion is that Madison is CLEARLY the best CB on our team, and with the exception of picking up Nate Clements (who'll be very expensive) is the best option for us at CB. I think he played very well this season and still has a couple years left in him. I can't believe anyone questions his passion or heart. The guy, along with JT and ZT, has been the bread and butter (backbone) keeping this team and organization afloat for years.

As far as Travis Daniels. I thought I read something somehwere that Daniels was drafted by Saban to play FS, but who knows, I can't find the link. I thought Daniels did a very fine job at CB and think he could play his entire career at that position. However, I think Saban drafted him realizing that Daniels gave him alot of flexibility in terms of where he could play, seeing that he played all the positions while at LSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniels at FS, but I'd really like to keep our secondary in tact with the addition of moving Yeremiah to starting FS, and Lance at SS.

Someone posted that Schulters never played SS and isn't a strong safety...I can almost gaurantee that was his position in Tennessee, I don't know about San Francisco, but I am almost postive he played SS in Tennessee.

rdhstlr23 said:
As far as Travis Daniels. I thought I read something somehwere that Daniels was drafted by Saban to play FS, but who knows, I can't find the link.

And you never will. Never happened. Only thing that happened was media speculation. You know. The same media speculation that led everyone to believe the team was going to be $25 million under the cap :rolleyes2

This team is far more short handed at CB then anywhere else. Daniels 'could' be the senior CB on this team on opening day. How scary is that? Daniels will be playing CB when this season opens. I have no doubts about that.

I think we will cut Tebucky Jones and keep Schulters. Daniels will move to one of the saftey spots, along side Schulters as long as we do not draft a saftey. If we draft a saftey, he will stay at that CB spot with Poole and whoever else they pick up.

Killer308 said:
The problem is ths Sam does not deserve it.
This man speaks truth.

He refuses to take a pay cut because he was a Pro Bowl reserve? How much sense does that make?

Dolfan11 said:
I think we will cut Tebucky Jones and keep Schulters. Daniels will move to one of the saftey spots, along side Schulters as long as we do not draft a saftey. If we draft a saftey, he will stay at that CB spot with Poole and whoever else they pick up.
and then there's free agency...you have to believe Saban will be looking for help in the secondary.

Back
Top Bottom