Trenches and Defense not QB and firepower | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trenches and Defense not QB and firepower

One thing not being said. The Salary Cap.

Russell WIlson is so cheap being on his rookie deal the SeaHawks were able to load up on FA's and fit them under the cap.

That changes where is time to pay Russell Wilson.

Same thing goes for the 49ers and Cap.

Kudos to the SeaHawks and long suffering peoples of Seattle.

Quite frankly Peyton contract kept the Broncos from building and upgrading damn near every position group. sucks for the Donkey's but that's what happens in the salary cap era.

Well you have to give Seattle credit cause they've just tied the 1971 Dolphins for youngest team to play in a super bowl with an average age of 24.6 years old. That tells me they're drafting well and they're also signing cheap free agents. That's how they keep the cap in check.

I heard a comment, which I posted in the super bowl thread, this morning on Joe Rose. I didn't catch who said it but I think it was the Seattle owner, might have been Carroll, but he said that they draft players that fit the system and when they make a mistake they don't hold on to the player they get rid of him...that's why Matt Flynn wasn't there long...instead of having a GM who wants to save face and force the coach to try and make him look good or saying the coach isn't playing his players enough or they don't develop players well enough they get rid of the guy. And drafting and signing players that fit the system...wow, what a freakin concept. Many of us have been saying that around here forever...some still don't get it. This crap about changing the plays to fit the players is garbage...yes it works if its within a SYSTEM...find the strength of those players that work within they system and build around what you do best. It's not changing plays to fit the players because they're a mosh-posh mix of different system type players. You can't run ZBS with power scheme type OL...Ireland never fixed it, he didn't know how. This thread about traded for Donald Penn...garbage, he's not a scheme fit.

Great win by the Seahawks! This was definitely a team win on both sides of the ball. I though that Wilson played an outstanding game and was very efficient in his passing and using his legs to extend drives.

However, the key element in my mind, is that the Seahawks don't ask Wilson to carry his team on his back. They have an aggressive O-line with an outstanding running game and the top defense in the NFL that does not play scared.....they attack. They gave Peyton Manning "happy feet" last night and it showed. They also were able to sit in the middle zone and blast those short crossing routes that Denver likes to run. The Seahawk defenders were blowing up the Bronco receivers as they ran those shallow crosses.

I would not discount the impact of good QB play on the results. Wilson didn't have flashy numbers because he didn't have to. I think he could have if it was needed. I do agree that the trenches are key to victory....both offensive and defensive lines.

So the Parcells/Sparano blueprint still works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

The Seahawks have a dynasty look to them given the youth on that team. I can see them winning at least one more Super Bowl with this group

People are talking about Seattle's drafting. One of their players said that 21 of the 53 men on their roster weren't even drafted!

That my friends is a solid scouting department, and one heck of a coaching staff.

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

The Seahawks have a dynasty look to them given the youth on that team. I can see them winning at least one more Super Bowl with this group

It will always work if your defense is good enough.

Sure. Chad Henne is not near the game manager that Wilson is and Parcells left the job unfinished.

First....I agree with "Building around a vision"...Ireland must have missed that memo as the team talent acquisition has been confusing at best over the last 5 years.

Second....Drafting matter more now then ever before....having players on your team who contribute heavily during their rookie contract allows you the freedom to bring in free agents that matter.

Third....football is still football and is a game played by guys with passion and that passion can have a direct impact on on wins and losses...

Finally....player need to buy into what you are selling...what set the final 4 teams apart from many in the NFL is those players believe in what they are doing each week, they don't just know the playbook, the believe that those plays will work, their scheme will work, the coaches will make the right call and the players around them will do their job. It is about team culture...

Sure. Chad Henne is not near the game manager that Wilson is and Parcells left the job unfinished.

Well, everyone around here was so quick to distance themselves from the Parcells blueprint in favor the the GB one. But really, the Parcells blueprint is still the right one, as long as you have the right QB.

Now we are left with a knockoff version of GB which is even worse than the knock off version of the optimal Parcells blueprint. We aren't going anywhere with Principal Philbin's "vision" for a football team

Everytime a team wins the superbowl, everyone starts to think that you need to have THAT kind of team in order to wn the super bowl. Big mistake.W've seen teams win wth defense, we've seen them win with passing and we've seen them win with running. There's no one formula to win it every year or else, everyone would have the same kind of team. You need to find what you do best and build around that as much as you can. You want to have balance of course. To now think we need to be like Seattle makes no sense. I'll make a little prediction right now, Seattle will not win the next super bowl.

Ozzy rules!!

Exactly right...what he said!

There are different ways to win...its all about matchups.

Its best to be good in all phases including special teams.

The Seahawks just gave us a lesson about football, Wilson had no turnovers but just 204 yards, the seahawks defense stole the show, a real beauty of a defensive game, playing very much like Grimes does allowing space but closing the gaps anticipating the play, it was like if they knew what manning was reading and tempting him . the OL and DL were perfect, DB´s superb, receivers excellent also. The seahawks showed how you win without relying on a star QB performance, in fact Denver´s run D held Lynch very well and allowed just 204 pass yards, but Seattle´s defensive scheme was simply to much from start to finish. Trenches and Defense are the key. we need that, that's our biggest challenge in the offseason.

Completely agree. and they did it against one of the greatest of all time. Shut his offense completely out. This game proved without a doubt that this is a team sport and no amount of superhero individual production will overcome a complete team. I give Wilson a lot of credit for being a humble team player, but the fact is that his greatest contribution to this Super Bowl is that he made no big mistakes. I do believe that qualifies him to be labeled a pretty good QB, but the hands down better QB in that game lost bc of the TEAM he played against.

I think people over-think it. Your team is how your draft picks (and free agents) turn out to be. The Dolphins didn't draft to target being a middle of the road defense it just turned out that way. Seattle just had draft picks that hit and they can be the defense they are. Carroll is no genius, he has failed in the league twice before, his team has hit on several draft picks and that's why they are where they are.

Seattle deserves many accolades for the game but it felt like one of those games that everything just went wrong for Denver, I don't want to take anything away from Seattle but I don't think you would get those results (i.e. that kind of blow out) if they played again half a dozen times.

As the game went on I figured Finheaven would erupt in "Defense Wins Championship" threads. How pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
To now think we need to be like Seattle makes no sense. I'll make a little prediction right now, Seattle will not win the next super bowl.

X1000

That is a GIVEN.

I don't want the Dolphins to become what they are. I don't want all of FOOTBALL to become what they are. Their "vision" or "model" is the exact antithesis of what I want this sport to be. If that model ever becomes predominant in this sport (which I predict it won't unless it is forced to by outside influences) I will be DONE with this sport.

Yep..sometimes defenses take over games..sometimes offenses do...the truly great all time teams can do it all.

Back
Top Bottom