Trending Up: Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trending Up: Miami Dolphins

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
A Jason LaCanfora type article without the doom and gloom.

Dan Pompei said:
Which teams are trending up and down as the offseason begins? @MikeTanier has the scoop.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...gles-colts-trending-going-into-2014-offseason

Trending Up: Miami Dolphins
Good News: Great cap situation, front office optimism, quarterback situation, solvable problems.
Bad News: The old Dolphins "cause one problem to solve another" two-step.

Jeff Ireland is gone! Long live New Guy Who is Not Jeff Ireland! (Dennis Hickey.) Ireland committed professional suicide when he battled with coach Joe Philbin and team vice president Dawn Aponte while spending high draft picks and free agent dollars almost completely randomly. But he left a pretty good looking cadaver: The Dolphins came within a middle school crisis intervention between 300-pound professionals of reaching the playoffs, and the roster is scattered with talent. The Dolphins will have about $30 million to spend on free agency, and their top priority -- an offensive line so screwed up that Bryant McKinnie was a stabilizing influence -- comes with its own flashing red beacon. Ryan Tannehill looks like a franchise quarterback whenever he is upright, so fixing the line should fix other problems as well.

The bad news comes from Ireland's brand of creative accounting. The Dolphins have money to spend but lots of in-house free agents to spend it on. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai, veteran stalwarts of the defensive line, are both free agents. So are offensive linemen McKinnie, Tyson Clabo and John Jerry. Most of the offensive linemen are pretty terrible, but the Dolphins must already replace Richie Incognito, and they will spend part of the offseason knocking softly on Jonathan Martin's bedroom door and asking if he feels like talking. A chunk of that $30 million, plus a draft pick or two, will get swallowed by the offensive line. Starks and Soliai will probably get hard-to-match offers from better teams.

The reason the Dolphins hovered around .500 for all of Ireland's tenure is because Ireland's acquisitions never coalesced into a coherent philosophy: Last year's solution was this year's problem; this year's free agent splurge was paid for by a series of troubling free agent departures. Hickey inherits Ireland's final mixed blessing: A big budget and an even bigger shopping list. But with money to spend and a draft class deep in offensive linemen, the Dolphins can assemble 11-win talent just by solving one major problem. That's not enough to challenge the Patriots (at the rate the Dolphins improve and Patriots decline, the two teams are on schedule to switch places in the standings in 2023) but it can push the Jets and Bills into the background for another year and finally get the Dolphins into the playoffs.

10/6 & playoffs that's what i call trending up.............:up:

This guy is crazy...our O-line is fine...just ask Gravity?

We need to draft a new QB and we are set!

" But with money to spend and a draft class deep in offensive linemen, the Dolphins can assemble 11-win talent just by solving one major problem."

I agree with that.Fix the OL with free agents and draft picks and we'll be in the hunt.

New people always bring hope...

What did many complain about....

Ireland and Sherman...

Who's gone....

Ireland and Sherman...

Long live Hickey and Lazor! (until the **** up then screw those guys!)

I see the spin machine is in full swing.

After the draft stories came out about Ross asking his brain trust (Philbin and Co, Ireland and others) who THEY wanted in the draft: Dion Jordan. Now, suddenly, it was all Ireland. That certainly was a nice hand washing ceremony.

After free agency, the media labeled Ireland as a big spending GM blowing up our future cap in order to save his own job. Suddenly, we have a great cap situation and a roster full of talent. I guess their "Cap Prediction Machine" just got fixed in time to write the new version of the story.

Spin, spin, spin.

I'm not defending Ireland, but I'm also not blind to over dramatization of the facts to sell print.

I see the spin machine is in full swing.

After the draft stories came out about Ross asking his brain trust (Philbin and Co, Ireland and others) who THEY wanted in the draft: Dion Jordan. Now, suddenly, it was all Ireland. That certainly was a nice hand washing ceremony.

After free agency, the media labeled Ireland as a big spending GM blowing up our future cap in order to save his own job. Suddenly, we have a great cap situation and a roster full of talent. I guess there "Cap Prediction Machine" just got fixed in time to write the new version of the story.

Spin, spin, spin.

I'm not defending Ireland, but I'm also not blind to over dramatization of the facts to sell print.

Aponte is the cap Guru and is the reason why the team is in good shape financially...

Why would anyone on the coaching staff want a 3-4 olb?

The team didn't suddenly have a great cap situation it was actually reported after last off-season as well...

At first I thought you were saying LaCanfora wrote this article which of course is in complete contrast of the one he had on CBS Sports.com. It's so funny to have an article like this where it says Miami could win 11 games if they do it right in 2014 yet LaCanfora's article was the complete opposite.

Neither article is necessary.

At first I thought you were saying LaCanfora wrote this article which of course is in complete contrast of the one he had on CBS Sports.com. It's so funny to have an article like this where it says Miami could win 11 games if they do it right in 2014 yet LaCanfora's article was the complete opposite.

Neither article is necessary.

Sorry for the confusion. I said it was LaCanfora-like in that it points out a lot of the holes we have and issues that need to be addressed, but isn't the doom and gloom piece he wrote. Instead it acknowledges that this team has a solid foundation(including a QB), a lot of cap space and that this team can make enough moves this offseason to put them in the playoffs in 2014.

It's very simple to know if Big Jay wrote the article without looking who the writer is, if it doesn't have the normal gloom and doom, if does not have the mega-reasons why Miami is a waste of an NFL team....LaCanfora didn't write it.

Sorry for the confusion. I said it was LaCanfora-like in that it points out a lot of the holes we have and issues that need to be addressed, but isn't the doom and gloom piece he wrote. Instead it acknowledges that this team has a solid foundation(including a QB), a lot of cap space and that this team can make enough moves this offseason to put them in the playoffs in 2014.

Understood. I don't know why we'd think this guy is right and LaCanfora is wrong. They're both opinion pieces that contradict each other. **** both of 'em TBH.

Understood. I don't know why we'd think this guy is right and LaCanfora is wrong. They're both opinion pieces that contradict each other. **** both of 'em TBH.

There's only one real opinion. IF we can fix the OL to be a bit above average, Tannehill improves, and last year's acquisitions play as they should, we are a playoff team.

It is realistic to accomplish but, mostly depends on FA for the OL. More than one rookie starter on the OL, and we are likely to be as bad as last year.

Back
Top Bottom