Trill Williams, Sam Eguavoen and the direction of this team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trill Williams, Sam Eguavoen and the direction of this team

Aqua Man

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
Now that we’ve had our first glimpse at the 53 man roster, I’ve been doing some reading on a few guys who fought the odds to stick with this team and these two stick out to me. If you look into both of these guy’s backstories and their respective paths that brought both to the Dolphins, it becomes extremely clear that these guys are on this team because they eat, sleep, and breathe the game of football. We hear players say all the time that the NFL “is a business”. Well these 2 guys aren’t here because football is a job. They’re here because football is their life.

It’s no coincidence that these guys are on a team coached by Brian Flores and it’s definitely not a coincidence that as Coach Flores is set to begin only his 3rd year in Miami, he has managed to nearly turn over an entire roster and fill it with guys who share the same passion and dedication to the game of football and for each other. Sure, the rebuild that was set forth just over 2 years ago isn’t 100% finished. There’s still some holes, some weaknesses, and certainly things that will still need fixing, but I’ve gotta say, as a Dolphin fan for nearly 40 years, I’ve seen some pretty soft Dolphin teams, some pretty soft Dolphin head coaches, and more than a few 53 man rosters that were just here to collect their paycheck. It feels pretty damn good right now to have a football team and a Head Coach that are taking the field each Sunday because they have to. Because they love it. Because they love playing alongside each other and playing for their HC.

Stephen Ross has made more than his fair share of really bad decisions as Dolphins owner, but at the end of the day, the most recent big decision he had to make might end up being mentioned alongside the decision to hire Don Shula or to draft Dan Marino. He decided to hire Brian Flores. This is going to be a big season. The next step is going to be taken and that’s going to put us at the threshold of something us Dolphin fans haven’t seen or felt in a REALLY long time. Too long, in fact. The MIAMI DOLPHINS are back, and I for one, can not ****ing wait!!!

We are going to win the Superbowl. Anything is possible if you just believe hard enough with blind faith and base all your expectations on hopes and dreams.

Edit: I fixed it guys! Now we all think the same and nothing could be farther from the truth. Not 1 loss to anyone this year. 21 and 0 baby! Woot woot! Never had any doubts.

Now you guys can finally sleep at night.

Last edited:
Coach Flores is a man on a mission and nothing is going to stop him. He intends to win a Super Bowl and the NFL better pay attention. We will begin to show what we are made of on opening day. Our defense will stop the run and make life very tough for Jones. NE is always a tough match up and they come in as a 3 point favorite. They usually can bully us with the ground game on offense and their ability to stop the run on defense. Not this time, Billy!! This time Phillips, Davis, Wilkins, Ogbah, Van Ginkle and Baker make it impossible for NE to run the ball effectively and our DBs cut off their short passes. Jones won't have time to scan the field, we're not the Giants!! Jones will meet Jaelan Phillips a couple of times. He won't like him. On offense we must be able to get some push in the run game or their D will strangle us. I'm counting on our big, strong o-line to show up and play with pride. Gaskin needs about 60 yards on the ground. Sprinkle in Ahmed, Brown and maybe Doaks for another 60 and you've done well. Tua is going to kill them with the passing game anyway. How is NE going to find the speed on defense to cover Waddle, Wilson, Fuller, Parker, Williams, Long and Gisecki??? Their only hope is to get right in on Tua and rattle him. We must get the ball out of his hand quickly to our speedsters and kill them with YAC. I really think we are the better team-Miami 27-NE 20. NE is down 27-13 and gets a meaningless TD late. On to Buffalo 1-0.

This team looks very lackluster on paper to me. Let's hope Flores can make flowers out of a **** sandwich again
Where? I see a 53 man roster almost completely turned over in 3 years with young players who love the game and have plenty of room to grow. We might only have X as a “superstar”, but the roster as a whole is better than I’ve seen the last decade plus. Obviously, they still have a lot to prove, but there is a lot to like.

I agree. This roster is definitely progressing. Last couple of years, the final cuts were not quite as difficult as this year. When you are cutting guys that can contribute or start on 1/3 of the other teams, you are doing something right.

We may still have a few holes but nobody will know that until we get a couple games in because there are questions at OL, RB & LB. I'm not as worried about the defensive side of the ball because they have shown they know how to play as one unit.

The depth at DB and WR is very good to great. TE is solid with a potential star. DL looks good to me. ST's is gonna be good again.

One a side note, Chris Grier gets ALL the credit for hiring Flores. He plucked him out of relative obscurity when most suggested we should hire the Cowboys DB coach, Kris Richard (now in NOLA) or Eric Bienemy. Grier gets a lot of static for the bad stuff so I'm gonna give him credit for Flores. Now he just needs to resolve the long time OL issue.

This kind of sentiment will change quickly if Miami has a losing record this year.

Remember, Wanny, Sparano and Gase did well early on only to be dud headcoaches l.

Just a feeling with no substantial proof At This Time to validate.
My epectations have been blown away with the level of achievement in such a short time with much of the focus on the defense. A bit confused over some of yesterdays moves but giving the Staff the benefit of doubt due to it being mostly on the defensive side and to be fair having to have to see how it plays out. But from a present stand point am completely puzzled with the efforts and evaluations given our OL and sadly must say seriously worried.

Don't listen much to Flores for IMO he has that Belichick way of saying whatever with out saying anything of accountable value and sometimes even truth (so IMO a waste of time). A real NFL BS er that though dislike, can live with if achievements are reached.

As pleased with the defense developments, have to say I've been just as confused and disappointed with the Half azz offensive treatment which IMO makes little to no sense and truthfully shocked at the efforts (non) to fortify an area critical to our success this year (Missed FAs, Rookie OC, playing musical positions with the rooks). To many great opportunities blown and highly possible blown evaluations of what we have now, IMO extremely detrimental. Think this will be the area of problems but do hope I'm wrong and they see something more than what I have in the OL's positive development which only the season will prove right or wrong.
But as much as I like Flores and staffs building of the team, am still even more confused now over fortifications not taken advantage of and evaluations on the offensive line side......and hoping that it doesn't come back to bite us but truthfully see as of this morning that notion being pretty reasonable...

My view as an independent NFL fan and not opinionating from a Dolphin viewpoint that to much of the time is seeing things with those colored glasses. And for those people who fear criticism and think its hate and detrimental, I'd say you have to live your life longer and see and realize that over coming the obsticles in life are what brings one wisdom and strength same as it does when evaluating a team. Used properly a gift, used incorrectly or not aware a disaster and a reason for one to live the same crap over and over.....JMFO

Couldn't agree more. Not just because I think it's a recipe for success but also because it's the type of team that is most fun to watch and root for.

I've never been more excited as a Phins fan.

There's definitely a lot to like about this coach and team but the feeling I always keep coming back to is "cautious optimism". As an earlier poster mentioned, we've been down this 'feel good' road before with the early results of previous HCs but this time feels quite a bit different (at least to me, it does).

Back
Top Bottom