Troy Williamson will be the best reciever to come out of this draft !! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Troy Williamson will be the best reciever to come out of this draft !!

downfield said:
40 times are too misleading, this has been talked about several times. i put a post up yesterday titled "receivers and speed." look at the numbers for the 3 cone drill and the 10 yrd dash times and you will see that williamson is a fast guy, but is only really fast once he gets out to 40 yrds and beyond. how often does that happen in the nfl?

m. williams creates the biggest matchup problems for cornerbacks.
Not only is that contradictory but its simply not true.

On one hand youre favoring measureables as you see fit by discounting his 40 times. Thats a large part of his game is having the ability to accelerate off the line and get downfield. Second, If you saw williamson play you'd know that speed and acceleration is his game. It doesnt matter if its on drag routes or screens, when he gets the ball hes 1 of those guys who if he makes that first guy miss you may never catch him. His speed isnt only electric in long distances, its simply electric anytime he catches the ball.

If I had to compare him, Id say say hes a bigger version of Santana Moss.

phinz_fan said:
Boik you articulated what I was trying to say perfectly. Troy never really had a chance to put up big numbers at USC because of the style offense and lack of talent around him. Combine that with the fact that the SEC is friggin' tough you have one underrated WR who will suprise a lot of people if given the opportunity to shine.

Hopefully he will not land on a Wanny-ball team and will have a chance to show the NFL what he can do. If he ends up a Cowboy that will hurt me because I can't stand them - but at least there he may have a chance under Parcell's to excel. I'm just disappointed he won't end up a Dolphin. :( We would be a better team with him opposite Chambers for sure!
TY. Its true he really came out of nowhere cause a lot of football fans I know who follow the draft just see the stats andthink 3rd round but you have to have attended SC or seen their games to know just how good he is. He really reminds me of how when L. Coles came out everyone only saw average stats and nice measureables.

Boik14 said:
Not only is that contradictory but its simply not true.

On one hand youre favoring measureables as you see fit by discounting his 40 times. Thats a large part of his game is having the ability to accelerate off the line and get downfield. Second, If you saw williamson play you'd know that speed and acceleration is his game. It doesnt matter if its on drag routes or screens, when he gets the ball hes 1 of those guys who if he makes that first guy miss you may never catch him. His speed isnt only electric in long distances, its simply electric anytime he catches the ball.

If I had to compare him, Id say say hes a bigger version of Santana Moss.

Yes I am selecting the criteria I see fit to better evaluate people. As has been brought up before, look at all the great receivers and running backs that didn't run a 4.3, Rice, Brown, Irvin, Payton, E. Smith, etc. What I am saying is that it is common to run 10 yrds in the NFL and then catch the ball, what is not common is to run 40 yrds and catch the ball. So what I am getting at is that the 10yrd dash and 3 cone drills are the most utilitarian criteria we could rely upon for functional performance.

I don't doubt Troy will be good, but he doesn't have enough experience in a passing system to rely on for a couple years. He will need extensive time to develop. DIfferently, M. Williams has extensive expreience in a passing system and offers an immediate matchup problem for any cornerback because of his size. Also, how many times did the fins get to the goaline and then peter out because they couldn't get in the endzone? Chambers is great on fly routes and double move deep routes, but once you get within 10 yrds of the endzone he doesn't do much. That is where M. Williams will shine.

Take care brotha

downfield said:
Yes I am selecting the criteria I see fit to better evaluate people. As has been brought up before, look at all the great receivers and running backs that didn't run a 4.3, Rice, Brown, Irvin, Payton, E. Smith, etc. What I am saying is that it is common to run 10 yrds in the NFL and then catch the ball, what is not common is to run 40 yrds and catch the ball. So what I am getting at is that the 10yrd dash and 3 cone drills are the most utilitarian criteria we could rely upon for functional performance.

I don't doubt Troy will be good, but he doesn't have enough experience in a passing system to rely on for a couple years. He will need extensive time to develop. DIfferently, M. Williams has extensive expreience in a passing system and offers an immediate matchup problem for any cornerback because of his size. Also, how many times did the fins get to the goaline and then peter out because they couldn't get in the endzone? Chambers is great on fly routes and double move deep routes, but once you get within 10 yrds of the endzone he doesn't do much. That is where M. Williams will shine.

Take care brotha
Rb's are a totally different animal to compare. Wr's need at least some speed for separation purposes even if their routes are perfect. While it is more common to run 10 yards more often then 40 the ability to gain separation and RAC yards is a big part of what teams really value in a wr. Therefore 40 times are very important for a wr whereas for a RB who usually runs in 4-8 yard bursts it isnt nearly as important.

Finally Mike Williams has been out of football for a year so while Williamson will need work in a passing offense and learn some things at least hes been on a field and playing at a high level. Cant say that about MW who I like as well.

The point on chambers falls as much on the rest of the offense as it does him. 2 years ago he caught liek 10 or 11 tds cause as bad as JAy was he could throw a fade route to the corner of an endzone. Aj couldnt. Then we lost RW last year so teams really watch CC as our main red zone threat.

The difference between a good 40 time and a great 40 time happens in the first 10 yds. It's all about getting off the line explosively. You're not gonna find many players who run a sub 4.4 forty who aren't explosive off the line and therefore fast for the first 10 yds.

Let's not make the mistake of thinking Troy is a little guy either. He is 6' 1 after all and is barely an inch shorter than the highly touted Edwards. Mike Williams is 6' 4 and that is an advantage but 6' 1 is no midget and is taller than most CB's in the NFL. Troy is plenty big, plenty fast, and plenty talented in all categories. He will make some offensive coordinater very happy sometime in the near future.

phinz_fan said:
NFL.com on Troy Williamson:

"Compare his 40 and shuttle times to Braylon Edward's. Also check out the vertical. Amazing! This guy was on a run-oriented offense with the sorriest QB you've ever seen and still managed to make big plays!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/wr

As a fellow Game**** fan I can attest to the "sorriest QB's" statement. Corey Jenkins played QB two years ago and now plays LB for the Dolphins. Williamson is raw, has very good hands, gamebreaking speed, and improved his route running every year at USC. It would not shock me if he ends up being the best WR to come out of this draft.

My opinion on Clayton

thebigshow405 said:
I love troy williamson... to say he will be the best is a stretch, but having either him clayton williams or edwards would definitely improve a team's receiving core.... I like clayton though, simply because although hes not as good as Braylon, he has better value in the draft... meaning, you can get him at a much lower selection, but only lose a little off the overall talent level RELATVE to braylon.... i love relative.

He was shutdown by a bunch of freshman and sophmore USC defensive backs in the biggest game of his collegiate career. Cream always floats to the top in the big games.

I'd stay away from him and pick Roddy White instead!

Boik14 said:
I agree but not really for the reasons posted above. Most people are aware of how fast he is. That 4.35 was actually a bit slower than anyone whos seen him play expected. Hes a rare player that actually plays faster than his speed.

If youre looking for stats you wont find them on Williamson like you will on MW or Braylon cause he played in a wanny like run 1st offense. What you find is that he was the 1st player in decades to lead the SEC in yards per catch for 3 straight years including as a freshman.
You wont find many highlight clips of him going over the middle much because the only time he really did so was on 10-12 yard crossing routes. But at 6-1 202 he can.
As mentioned the qb's he played with were marginal at best. Corey jenkins who many of you are familar with as an ex Phin LB and who played a lot of SS at S. Carolina and Dondrial Pinkins (good arm no accuracy) were just sorry.
Finally you look at what he did despite being the only downfield threat on the team...or only real offensive threat for that matter. He faces a lot of doubles, and teams were always aware of him because they knew he was the 1 player who could single handedly carry SC. And he did all this in what is easily the best college football conference in the country.
While I dont put a lot of stock in measureables I do think Williamson is the best wr in this draft and would be a great compliment to Chambers.

If you think you're gonna trade with Minnesota and get Troy Williamson, think again. Minnesota has their eyes on Williamson, not Edwards or Williams. Williamson is potentially the closest they can come to Moss.

40 times

downfield said:
40 times are too misleading, this has been talked about several times. i put a post up yesterday titled "receivers and speed." look at the numbers for the 3 cone drill and the 10 yrd dash times and you will see that williamson is a fast guy, but is only really fast once he gets out to 40 yrds and beyond. how often does that happen in the nfl?

m. williams creates the biggest matchup problems for cornerbacks.

How many receptions of 30+ yards did Moss have in his best non-injured year?

Does anybody know?

Williamson opposite Chambers!!!

phinz_fan said:
Boik you articulated what I was trying to say perfectly. Troy never really had a chance to put up big numbers at USC because of the style offense and lack of talent around him. Combine that with the fact that the SEC is friggin' tough you have one underrated WR who will suprise a lot of people if given the opportunity to shine.

Hopefully he will not land on a Wanny-ball team and will have a chance to show the NFL what he can do. If he ends up a Cowboy that will hurt me because I can't stand them - but at least there he may have a chance under Parcell's to excel. I'm just disappointed he won't end up a Dolphin. :( We would be a better team with him opposite Chambers for sure!

I put up a post on here a week or so ago, where I said a Chambers/Williamson combination would be frightening to the defenses, so much that it would even make our running game better. If you can add a receiver that not only makes your passing game better but also makes your running game better, GO FOr IT PHINS!!!!

Back
Top Bottom